The Manchester United Thread

Surprised if he leaves, means a striker is definitely coming in if so.
TBH I always thought he would be off. 1) because he would not be a guaranteed starter and 2) because we wont give him the sort of contract he wants when his current one expires. Fully expect us to sign a new STR as well as RB,CB,CM this summer.

I dont understand how anybody can think losing £20m is a viable option.....

I missed this.

How come when a Utd fan says' it there's little fuss.

But when a L'pool fan say's it yuse all get defensive and pissy?

Funny how that happens. ;)

TBH I always thought he would be off. 1) because he would not be a guaranteed starter and 2) because we wont give him the sort of contract he wants when his current one expires. Fully expect us to sign a new STR as well as RB,CB,CM this summer.

I'm more surprised we're letting him leave because of the apparent lack of options. Honestly can only think of Lacazette or Higuain who I'd actually like and may be available at the right price. Harry Kane needs a few more seasons to prove himself before we go spunking money at Spurs again.

I'm more surprised we're letting him leave because of the apparent lack of options. Honestly can only think of Lacazette or Higuain who I'd actually like and may be available at the right price. Harry Kane needs a few more seasons to prove himself before we go spunking money at Spurs again.
Must have someone in mind, will be interesting to see who.

But Perez is known for his stupid decisions so why not wait until he makes one and offers us a deserved fee for De Gea, if not they can wait a year to get him and we'll have his services until then, making the most out of what he'll offer us this season.

Plus if Casillas goes they need him now.

It all boils down to what you think a reasonable bid is. I would have gladly taken £20m for a player in the last year of his contract that really wants to go anyway. If Casillas goes then great. We may get £25m at a pinch but I cant see them paying any more than that.

They will just wait a year and put Navas in net. Hardly a bad keeper is he? No matter how long this drags on, we arent winning, so take the money and use it wisely. People are going on like if we sell DDG we wont get top 4. Are you having a ******* laugh? If we get Ramos as part of the DDG deal then great. If not use the extra 20 or so mil to get 2 experienced defenders, along with Schneiderlin and play valdez.

People are assuming Chelsea and City have top 2 in the bag. Chelsea yes but City far from it I think. We almost caught them last season and thats with half a season being **** and experimenting with half a team. City doesnt have the youngest squad in the world as it is, never mind a year later. Their rumoured transfer targets at the moment are English players for their quota (Delph, Sterling) and not much else. Pelligrini is only a bad August/September away from being sacked and the owners probably have that in their heads so will be reluctant for him to ***** money on more foreign players. Aside from City's first 11, who do they have that hasnt been a complete flop? They are getting rid of those slowly but then they need replacing and new signings adapting. I dont think we need to worry about City at all this year.

520uh5.jpg

Make it happen Woodie :P

They will just wait a year and put Navas in net. Hardly a bad keeper is he? No matter how long this drags on, we arent winning, so take the money and use it wisely. People are going on like if we sell DDG we wont get top 4. Are you having a ******* laugh? If we get Ramos as part of the DDG deal then great. If not use the extra 20 or so mil to get 2 experienced defenders, along with Schneiderlin and play valdez.

Your reason to sell De Gea is selling him for a small fee and then trying to say how that will somehow 'help' us finance other signings even when we don't even need to do that because 1. we'll get them anyway 2. we don't need money to fund them, we have it already in abundance.

Then you are completely forgetting that the value De Gea gives us in one season will be more than £20m anyway, last season he gave us £70m+ from CL due to his performances that saved us many points and ultimately got us top 4 in that season. He could give us just as much benefit this season.

Like people have said the last thing you want to do is reinforce/replace your goalkeeper and defence in the same window if you can help it. Especially considering this is a season where we want to push on and compete for trophies, not re-consolidate a top 4 position.

Last edited:
Your reason to sell De Gea is selling him for a small fee and then trying to say how that will somehow 'help's us finance other signings even when we don't even need to do that because 1. we'll get them anyway 2. we don't need money to fund them as we have plenty already.

Then you are completely forgetting that the value De Gea gives us in one season will be more than £20m anyway, last season he gave us £70m+ from CL due to his performances that saved us many points and ultimately got us top 4 in that season. He could give us just as much benefit this season.

Like people have said the last thing you want to do is reinforce your goalkeeper and defence in the same window if you can help it. Especially considering this is a season where we want to push on and compete for trophies, not re-consolidate a top 4 position.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Got to qualify yet and although this is all new to you, those games at the start of the year are NEVER easy.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Got to qualify yet and although this is all new to you, those games at the start of the year are NEVER easy.

Yes we still have to qualify but he put us in this position anyway to have the opportunity from his performances. He was our player of season by a mile and played a huge factor in us achieving top 4.

Plus I'd be shocked if we couldn't overcome a third qualifying round opponent.

Plus I'd be shocked if we couldn't overcome a third qualifying round opponent.

Well, you've Lazio right off the bounce. Porto are currently unseeded but probably won't be. Then you could have a trip to Fenerbahce or Panathinaikos. NEVER easy. Moscow or Donetsk. ******* of places to go. Monaco may well be there. Ajax.

That last qualifying round is filled with potential pitfalls.

Of course you may fall lucky and pull someone like Vienna or Bern.

You're probably looking at being in pot three if you do make it through which will lead to at least 2 top teams. I'd have to double check the coefficient but when I last skimmed it a few weeks back after looking at potential Europa groups it looked like you'd be in the third pot.

*Edit* Forget Porto. Getting mixed up with Sp. Lisbon.

Last edited:
Your reason to sell De Gea is selling him for a small fee and then trying to say how that will somehow 'help' us finance other signings even when we don't even need to do that because 1. we'll get them anyway 2. we don't need money to fund them as we have plenty already.

Like people have said the last thing you want to do is reinforce your goalkeeper and defence in the same window if you can help it. Especially considering this is a season where we want to push on and compete for trophies, not re-consolidate a top 4 position.

Will everyone stop banging on about last season. Yes De Gea was great. He made some fantastic saves. Got us a lot of points. But last season was just a run of exeptional circumstances that will 99.9% not be repeated this season. New manager in. New formations playing 3 at the back. Most of those games with 2 reserve players that stepped up out of the blue. Insane amount of injuries. Players being played out of position almost every game.

So yes, last season he may have single handedly got us top 4 and CL, but all those factors mentioned put us in that position in the first place. Combat against all those factors this window (barring injuries which is just luck), and the importance on the GK becomes minimal.

No new manager. Everybody knows where they stand, his methods and what is expected.
We have a set formation (no experimenting with 3 at the back)
New signings coming in to strengthen in key areas. Which leads to:
---More cover in the squad so no more relying on reserves that have never kicked a first team ball.
---More cover so dont have to play Rooney in 5 different positions each match.
Signings from last season bedded in and growing in confidence (Fellaini included).

We will be in a much better position this season going forward. People are crying like if we lose De Gea we are going to lose them 26 points he saved us and not get top 4. NO WE WON'T. With or without De Gea, we will be a much stronger unit for all the reasons mentioned above.

If he stays great. But only stay if he signs a new deal. I dont see any point whatsoever in keeping him and losing him for free. Again for all the reasons mentioned above. This season, having DDG and not having him will not make that much of a difference.

You're probably looking at being in pot three if you do make it through which will lead to at least 2 top teams. I'd have to double check the coefficient but when I last skimmed it a few weeks back after looking at potential Europa groups it looked like you'd be in the third pot.

Im pretty sure we'd be in pot 2 still. We have only had 1 year out. We still made 1/4 final I think under Moyes. Considering they go back over 5 years and we consistently got to the latter rounds (apart from the group exit and Europa exit), I think we'll be safe.

Well, you've Lazio right off the bounce. Porto are currently unseeded but probably won't be. Then you could have a trip to Fenerbahce or Panathinaikos. NEVER easy. Moscow or Donetsk. ******* of places to go. Monaco may well be there. Ajax.

That last qualifying round is filled with potential pitfalls.

Of course you may fall lucky and pull someone like Vienna or Bern.

This is from Manutd.com

Manchester United will face one of 10 teams in the Champions League play-off in August, with Lazio, Sporting Lisbon, CSKA Moscow and Monaco among the Reds’ potential opponents.

United are the top-seeded club in the final qualifying round and are already joined by fellow seeds Valencia and Bayer Leverkusen, who cannot face each other. Sporting and Lazio have also confirmed their places in the play-off round, and both could meet the Reds.

Shakhtar Donetsk and Ajax will also be seeded in the draw (and therefore cannot face United) if they progress through a third qualifying round containing CSKA, Club Brugge, Monaco, Young Boys, Sparta Prague, Fenerbahce, Panathinaikos and Rapid Vienna.

The play-off round is split into two separate sections: a 'Champions Route' (for league winners in some of Europe’s lesser-known nations) and a 'League Route' (for clubs who finish second, third or fourth in the more prominent European leagues, i.e. United). The losing teams in both sections enter the 2015/16 Europa League group stage.

Still with us? The draw for the play-off round is on 7 August, with the two-legged ties played on 18/19 August and 25/26 August.

If United qualify for the group stage of the 2015/16 competition, we will be in seeding pot two in the draw (which takes place on 27 August), alongside Arsenal and Manchester City, with champions Chelsea in pot one.

THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND (ties 28/29 July and 4/5 August)
Seeded: Shakhtar Donetsk, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Club Brugge, Monaco
Unseeded: Young Boys, Sparta Prague, Fenerbahce, Panathinaikos, Rapid Vienna

PLAY-OFF ROUND (ties 18/19 and 25/26 August)
Seeded: Manchester United, Valencia, Bayer Leverkusen, (Shakhtar Donetsk*, Ajax*)
Unseeded: Sporting Lisbon, Lazio plus the three qualifiers from the third qualifying round

* If either Shakhtar or Ajax fail to make the play-off round, Sporting will be seeded.
* If both Shakhtar and Ajax fail to make the play-off round, Sporting and CSKA** will be seeded.
** If Shakhtar, Ajax and CSKA fail to make the play-off round, Sporting and Lazio will be seeded.

Im pretty sure we'd be in pot 2 still. We have only had 1 year out. We still made 1/4 final I think under Moyes. Considering they go back over 5 years and we consistently got to the latter rounds (apart from the group exit and Europa exit), I think we'll be safe.

I'd honestly have to double check but I think your coeficient had dropped you to around 20th so it's a tight call.

Back