The Manchester United Thread

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/i-am-striker-manchester-united-6043257

He said: "It's one of the reasons we bought Memphis.
"He played striker in the Dutch team and learns very quickly.
"He can play in different positions. We have to wait and see in which position he can give the most benefit to the team."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/i-am-striker-manchester-united-6043257

Formations change with and without the ball. Do I really need to explain this? During play he can support a striker maybe in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-4-2 diamond with Depay at the tip behind the striker. When we dont have the ball he'll be out wide. But yeh IF if you want to call it that, with emphasis on the FORWARD. Its still a variant of a striker no matter how you call it.

Under this logic it would be fine to say that Willian plays wingback for Chelsea. You have to draw the line somewhere.

If you don't you miss one of the most important parts of why formations change with and without the ball, and why it's become such a big part of modern football. A winger who cuts inside isn't a striker, a wingback bombing forward isn't a winger, a false nine dropping back isn't secretly a midfielder. I mean ****, if that's the case then I'll get 2012's Sturridge on the phone and tell him not to move because Chelsea were playing him as a striker all along.

Under this logic it would be fine to say that Willian plays wingback for Chelsea. You have to draw the line somewhere.

If you don't you miss one of the most important parts of why formations change with and without the ball, and why it's become such a big part of modern football. A winger who cuts inside isn't a striker, a wingback bombing forward isn't a winger, a false nine dropping back isn't secretly a midfielder. I mean ****, if that's the case then I'll get 2012's Sturridge on the phone and tell him not to move because Chelsea were playing him as a striker all along.

Yeh but that sounds like your using that as a general rule for every player. Of course Willian isnt a wing back. But a few years ago you would have said Valencia couldnt play as a right back or a wing back even though he used to work his socks of getting back and putting tackles in from the right wing. Not every player can, but some can. Valencia was one of the best right back/wing backs in the league last season. Yes he made a few mistakes because he lacks the full defensive instinct but he was still one of the best in that position considering he was out of position so to speak. In my opinion, Depay can play as a striker if needed. Not as a lone striker leading the line but in one of the variants of. Weather that be an inside forward, shadow striker or whatever. I honestly belive our purpose in buying him was to have him off a striker or utilised as the main support to a striker. So when we dont have the ball in certain situations, he will in effect be playing as a striker.

He has shown all the traits. And I'll say it again, I can see him being the next Thierry Henry in the terms of being a left winger/inside forward or whatever you want to call him, then eventually being that good at sticking it in the net he'll gradually become more of a striker as the years go on.

Watching Schweinsteiger at ManUtd..

geek-%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B5%D1%80-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%87%D1%82%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%8D-shut-up-and-take-my-money-457842.gif

Love Schweinsteiger - Yes and I'm English, no ****.

His brother is massive United fan as well, wonder if that had the tiniest bearing on his decision. (If he joins).

Wtf @ these Valdes rumours, that leaves us with no keeper if De Gea leaves... apart from the 10 or so youth ones of course ;)

Last edited:
Schweinsteiger is on. Bild is reporting it, so its most ikely serious and not just usual rumour mill.

Bild and many German reporters are running this story. Looks like Bayern management dropped hints 2 days back when they said Bastian is flattered by interest from United. Looks like this one is happening, hopefully not one of those for better contracts.

Also few Bayern fans believe that Bastian's choice if he leaves Bayern was always PL and it was always United. Now with Van Gaal it's like icing on the cake.

Hopefully we sign Schneiderlin also. Very important player to play with Bastian.

our choice of midfielders would be Herrera, Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Schneiderlin, Blind, Fellaini for proper midfield role and just 2 years back it was Carrick, Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson.

Last edited:
If Schweiny is coming then Schneiderlin isn't. That's already 6 players for 3 positions, way more then enough.

If Schweiny is coming then Schneiderlin isn't. That's already 6 players for 3 positions, way more then enough.

Hopefully not. It wouldn't make sense either. Carrick is 34 and won't be around forever. Schneiderlin is young and one of the best midfielders in the league. Not signing him would be a big mistake.

Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Carrick, Herrera, Blind for midfield roles. Fellaini is not a CM for Van Gaal. He is more an attacker. Also Bastian and Carrick are bit injury prone, so it's easy to give chances for all.

Few journos posted that we are looking to sign both.

Not CM but attacker? What does that even mean. If he plays CM, he's a CM. Whether his role is to be attacker or a lamp pole is not important.

Carrick won't be around forever but he's around this year. Team with 2 top footballers for every position is already deep as an ocean. No serious player will accept being 7th choice. If he would he has no ambition and you don't want him anyway.

Not CM but attacker? What does that even mean. If he plays CM, he's a CM. Whether his role is to be attacker or a lamp pole is not important.

Carrick won't be around forever but he's around this year. Team with 2 top footballers for every position is already deep as an ocean. No serious player will accept being 7th choice. If he would he has no ambition and you don't want him anyway.

Fellaini didn't play as CM/DM. He was playing close to attacker.

Not sure how Schneiderlin would be 7th choice. Looks like you are just arguing for the sake of it.

Herrera, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Carrick for #6 and #8 roles. This is just for midfield 2. We still have 3rd midfielder role for players like Di Maria, Mata, Fellaini (which is #10).
Blind is utility player (for #6 and LB role). For a team that plays in 4 competitions, full of injury problems 2 players for each position is not ocean level deep depth.

Carrick and Schweinsteriger have injury issues and won't be playing every game. 6 players for 3 positions is very normal. Better to have proper CMs than Rooney playing there.

Schweinsteiger is on. Bild is reporting it, so its most ikely serious and not just usual rumour mill.

So He's 30 and from what I can see, missed 112 days of last season through injury.
Don't know if I'm happy or sad about this possible signing in fairness.
I really want Schneiderlin at the club.

Im not sure what this means for Michael Carrick. Surely both him and Schweinsteiger cannot player together?

So He's 30 and from what I can see, missed 112 days of last season through injury.
Don't know if I'm happy or sad about this possible signing in fairness.
I really want Schneiderlin at the club.

World class player but I read he hasn't played more than 30 league matches for 3/4 seasons now

Im not sure what this means for Michael Carrick. Surely both him and Schweinsteiger cannot player together?

World class player but I read he hasn't played more than 30 league matches for 3/4 seasons now

Bundesliga teams play only 34 league games though, so 30 game mark is bit OTT.

He was injured few times in the last 2 seasons and IIRC those were contact injuries.

Like I said before, even signing him we need Schneiderlin.

They were from a tear in a joint capsule, whatever that is.

Bundesliga teams play only 34 league games though, so 30 game mark is bit OTT.

He was injured few times in the last 2 seasons and IIRC those were contact injuries.

Like I said before, even signing him we need Schneiderlin.

Of course, my mistake.

Without doubt, even though his best days are behind he would still be a great signing...

Of course, my mistake.

Without doubt, even though his best days are behind he would still be a great signing...

No doubt about it.
Fully fit, He would hit the ground running and His experience/passing range going forward can only improve our team.
He doesn't strike me as the kind of player who would struggle to settle at a new club/league.

Let's just hope He stays fit.

Back