The Manchester United Thread

So the 'Dutch guy' knows more than LVG does he?

Are you having a ******* laugh? Just coz Depay doesnt show up on the shiny formation graphic before the game in the strikers position doesnt mean he doesnt take up those positions during the game. At PSV he quite clearly played off the striker at times. Sometimes even the most advanced player. But yeh I didnt watch him much :S
Also I think the Dutch guy who has never missed a PSV and watches Holland at all levels does know. LVG maybe thinks he can play there but he never has and I doubt he will.

I suppose when Ronaldo, Henry, Messi ect couldnt play as a striker either when they started banging in 20 goals a season. Even Fellaini plays off a striker sometimes but you never see him in any of the striker positions when they put the formation up before a game. Depay can play and will be used as a striker in games this season. I guarantee it. How well he does on the tour will obvioualy gauge how much he'll be used there. As LVG himself said, he can play in many positions and they need to find which one will best suit the team. But theres no doubt in my mind he will be used as a striker at times and he was bought with that in mind. He obviously wont be leading the line but im sure he'll be the one that supports the striker (Rooney) the most.

Also I think the Dutch guy who has never missed a PSV and watches Holland at all levels does know. LVG maybe thinks he can play there but he never has and I doubt he will.

LVG doesnt think he can play there, he knows he can. Even in some of the WC games he was brought on to support the striker. He probably even played him there in training a few times.

He really didn't he most started out LW cutting in. On the odd occasion PSV played quick on the counter from set pieces he was sometimes more advanced. Defo starts out wide cutting in and getting into assist and GS positions. I watched all but 2-3 PSV games last season I think I know. LVG was just playing down the need for a STR when he was asked about targets etc.

Right so when he doesnt have the ball he knows which runs to make and where to position himself in the box like a striker would. He has the strikers instinct. You cant score over 20 goals a season without that. Its not luck. He's not just in the right place at the right time every game. We both know theres more to it than that.

I suppose when Ronaldo, Henry, Messi ect couldnt play as a striker either when they started banging in 20 goals a season. Even Fellaini plays off a striker sometimes but you never see him in any of the striker positions when they put the formation up before a game. Depay can play and will be used as a striker in games this season. I guarantee it. How well he does on the tour will obvioualy gauge how much he'll be used there. As LVG himself said, he can play in many positions and they need to find which one will best suit the team. But theres no doubt in my mind he will be used as a striker at times and he was bought with that in mind. He obviously wont be leading the line but im sure he'll be the one that supports the striker (Rooney) the most.
LVG said Januzaj was a STR see he turned out playing there loads. Comparing Depay to Ronaldo and Messi lol. We will sign a STR Memphis will play wide simple.
Memphis-Depay-Heat-Map-Australia-18th-June-2014.png

Yes clearly a STR :O

Right so when he doesnt have the ball he knows which runs to make and where to position himself in the box like a striker would. He has the strikers instinct. You cant score over 20 goals a season without that. Its not luck. He's not just in the right place at the right time every game. We both know theres more to it than that.
Im not saying he does not have the instincts. But it completely different coming from wide and playing as an out and out STR.

f9b08e9fa9d7902f812d2e0920b0b2d5_normal.png
Craig Norwood @CraigNorwood Matteo Darmian landed into Manchester at 5:20pm BST, to now route to Carrington for medical & personal terms to be agreed.

Nevertheless, this keen eye for goal permits Memphis to play across any of the front three positions, something Louis van Gaal will undoubtedly be pleased with as it will give the manager a flexibility in his tactics, most notably in giving a very quick option to play as a striker in matches where the Manchester United boss chooses to set up a more counter-attacking formation.

Thats a passage from one of your heatmap links. Did you even read it?

Im not saying he does not have the instincts. But it completely different coming from wide and playing as an out and out STR.

Where did I say he would be an out and out striker? I said supporting Rooney as a second striker or the more advanced of the midfielders. He'll be allowed to support as and when we need because of his eye for goal and his runs/positioning.

Where did I say he would be an out and out striker? I said supporting Rooney as a second striker or the more advanced of the midfielders. He'll be allowed to support as and when we need because of his eye for goal and his runs/positioning.
Quote - Depay can play and will be used as a striker in games this season. I guarantee it.

Quote - Depay can play and will be used as a striker in games this season. I guarantee it.

You should be a journalist yourself. Good at twisting words. I never said out and out striker. I said striker. That can take many different forms. I have clearly said he'll be a support striker to a main striker, but you already know this.

You should be a journalist yourself. Good at twisting words. I never said out and out striker. I said striker. That can take many different forms. I have clearly said he'll be a support striker to a main striker, but you already know this.
We play with 1 STR so he would be the out and out STR surely. So you mean he will play LW like and IF? And not as a STR?

Gotta agree with Steve. He played against Chile as 2nd (or 3rd?) striker where he made a run and gave Robben an assist if i remember correctly. But that was obviously in a 3-5-2 system, which i don't think LVG would play anymore unless when in a injury crisis.

But at PSV and Holland most of the times he's played as LW and I don't think he has played as lone striker yet in his proffesional career. And i also got to disagree that runs from a lone striker position are the same from a supporting position or from the LW.

We play with 1 STR so he would be the out and out STR surely. So you mean he will play LW like and IF? And not as a STR?

Formations change with and without the ball. Do I really need to explain this? During play he can support a striker maybe in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-4-2 diamond with Depay at the tip behind the striker. When we dont have the ball he'll be out wide. But yeh IF if you want to call it that, with emphasis on the FORWARD. Its still a variant of a striker no matter how you call it.

Gotta agree with Steve. He played against Chile as 2nd (or 3rd?) striker where he made a run and gave Robben an assist if i remember correctly. But that was obviously in a 3-5-2 system, which i don't think LVG would play anymore unless when in a injury crisis.

But at PSV and Holland most of the times he's played as LW and I don't think he has played as lone striker yet in his proffesional career. And i also got to disagree that runs from a lone striker position are the same from a supporting position or from the LW.

Again, I have never ever said he will be a lone striker. I have always said he'll be supporting a main striker. Yeh more than likely from the left but it will be him thats being used as the main support to a striker thus being a second striker in attacking situations.

And I stick by my initial assessment of a few weeks ago where I said he'll be the next Thierry Henry. Find his feet out wide in the league, score plenty of goals but with eventually be moved more towards a strikers position. But as we all know in football now positions arent as black and white as the used to be.

For instance in one passage of play Rooney could quite easily go from being the ST to a DLP with Depay in the ST position.

Again, I have never ever said he will be a lone striker. I have always said he'll be supporting a main striker. Yeh more than likely from the left but it will be him thats being used as the main support to a striker thus being a second striker in attacking situations.

And I stick by my initial assessment of a few weeks ago where I said he'll be the next Thierry Henry. Find his feet out wide in the league, score plenty of goals but with eventually be moved more towards a strikers position. But as we all know in football now positions arent as black and white as the used to be.

For instance in one passage of play Rooney could quite easily go from being the ST to a DLP with Depay in the ST position.
Will be interesting to see anyways. And delighted we signed one of the best top talents around in Europe.

Back