The Manchester United Thread

QLcqv1be_normal.jpeg
Manchester United
@ManUtd #mufc is pleased to announce Matteo Darmian has completed his transfer from Torino. More: http://bddy.me/1NWO6hq pic.twitter.com/UOEPCbyNNW

Follow

Manchester United
@ManUtd

The 25-year-old Italian defender joins on a four-year contract with the option to extend for a further year. #WelcomeMatteo

Jesus, what a signing, he brings a lot more to United than just his on pitch abilities. This is a big statement not only in England but to all of Europe. ..... .

Well, at the very least we needed an experienced leader. Ramos would have been it but Schweini is equally useful for this.

One of the best signings Houllier made many moons back was Marcus Babbel, who, like Schweinsteiger, was a World class footballer in his position. And like Bastian, was at the back end of a great career. But what made Marcus so important, aside from the quality he brought on the park, was what his experience brought off it. His stellar German professionalism rubbed off on everyone, and although he wasn't the captain, he become one of a few veteran captains on and off the pitch that helped the younger players develop immeasurably. And although his stint was short (4 years); he was integral to our second treble winning team his second season in 2001 and the side that ran Arsenal so close for the league the year after.

And that's where I think you'll gain most with Bastian like Mad alluded to. An experienced leader. On and off the park. At 30 and on the downside of a great career, this isn't a 'statement' to the big boys in Europe zz. Can't seem them seeing it as that at all. But it is a fantastic veteran presence who should help Van Gaal immeasurably. On and off the field.

And like Babbel, I think it will be more years 2 and 3 when you really start feeling it. Utd fans will doubtless disagree, particularly among the current euphoria, but your still a good ways shy of challenging Chelsea, let alone Europe. (Your realistic aim there should to get out the groups. Which is no given at all. Anything above and beyond that would be a bonus.). You're adding some real good building blocks, but there's still a long way to go as I currently type to get back to where you doubtless believe you should be.

The battle for the Champions League places should be a good one this year.

From the club website:

Darmian, 25, has made 146 appearances and scored 5 league goals for Torino since his debut in 2011. The defender has 13 international caps for Italy and was part of their World Cup squad last summer in Brazil. Matteo Darmian said:

“It is a dream come true to be joining Manchester United. I have loved the time that I have spent at Torino and I would like to thank the club and the fans for everything they have done for me. I am sure they can understand when the opportunity to join the biggest club in world came along it was something I had to do. To work with Louis van Gaal, a manager that has achieved so much in football is such an exciting prospect.”

Louis van Gaal said:

“Matteo is a right-sided full back with the versatility of also being able to play on the left. He is a strong defender and has the ability to go forward in the attacking positions which is a fantastic attribute to have and much needed in the fast rhythm of the Premier League. Matteo will be a great addition to the team. I am delighted to welcome Matteo to the club and look forward to working with him in the coming days.”

Probably clutching at straws, but maybe these signings will make DDG change his mind? :(

Last signing from Torino? The one and only Denis Law.

My all time favourite non-L'pool Brit. (Although he should of been a red. Shakily wanted him as his first signing from Town but the board wouldn't go to what Huddersfield wanted.).

Wonderful, wonderful player and a real top fella'. Twice the player Best ever was for Utd from an outsiders view. He may not of been blessed with as much talent as George. But unlike Best he didn't repeatedly **** all over Busby and his teammates.

One of the best signings Houllier made many moons back was Marcus Babbel, who, like Schweinsteiger, was a World class footballer in his position. And like Bastian, was at the back end of a great career. But what made Marcus so important, aside from the quality he brought on the park, was what his experience brought off it. His stellar German professionalism rubbed off on everyone, and although he wasn't the captain, he become one of a few veteran captains on and off the pitch that helped the younger players develop immeasurably. And although his stint was short (4 years); he was integral to our second treble winning team his second season in 2001 and the side that ran Arsenal so close for the league the year after.

And that's where I think you'll gain most with Bastian like Mad alluded to. An experienced leader. On and off the park. At 30 and on the downside of a great career, this isn't a 'statement' to the big boys in Europe zz. Can't seem them seeing it as that at all. But it is a fantastic veteran presence who should help Van Gaal immeasurably. On and off the field.

And like Babbel, I think it will be more years 2 and 3 when you really start feeling it. Utd fans will doubtless disagree, particularly among the current euphoria, but your still a good ways shy of challenging Chelsea, let alone Europe. (Your realistic aim there should to get out the groups. Which is no given at all. Anything above and beyond that would be a bonus.). You're adding some real good building blocks, but there's still a long way to go as I currently type to get back to where you doubtless believe you should be.

The battle for the Champions League places should be a good one this year.

Agree mostly on the Schweinsteiger points and definitely will be great influence on everyone around him. I really think this is a statement signing, to negotiate anything with Bayern is difficult but to get their heart/legend/leader is a big coup.

Depends what you class as a good way away from challenging for the PL, I think we need a CB and we'll challenge. Another CM and ST would be nice but not essential. We've got good squad depth now and last season our consistency mixed with a ton of injuries is what cost us a lot of points. It was not competing with the teams above us as our record against them was very good.

Depends what you class as a good way away from challenging for the PL, I think we need a CB and we'll challenge. Another CM and ST would be nice but not essential. We've got good squad depth now and last season our consistency mixed with a ton of injuries is what cost us a lot of points. It was not competing with the teams above us as our record against them was very good.

Well, as we stand, you're still pretty mediocre at the back. Damian is a fantastic addition there, but then your struggling. Shaw should develop into an excellent player, But he's still not only adjusting to the major step up at Utd, but learning the game as a whole. Mistakes are naturally gonna' keep happening. And in the middle, unless you sign some experience. there's still got to be big questions marks. Depay looks a great addition. But there's a whole new learning experience there for a young, relatively inexperienced kid on foreign shores with a heck of a lot of expectation on his shoulders. Di Maria I just don't think is suited to English football and can see him disappearing again when the weather turns. (Feel free to throw that back at me if he doesn't). I doubt he's at Utd this time next year but we'll see. The midfield depth is stronger, but not many top bracket difference makers. Although the German should have a big influence in there. And outside of Rooney, there's still next to nothing up front. And of course the ongoing big question mark is De Gea ..... Would it surprise you at all to see Madrid come in at the end of the window with a substantial enough offer and leave you screwed in the position as is their usual MO?

Sounds like I'm being highly critical, and I do think your adding some very good building blocks and improving. But there's still a lot of developing to go that will doubtless be up and down again through year 2 as Van Gaal figures out what his best side and system is.

6 games is one heck of a difference to make up in one close-season when you barely squeaked into 4th last time out.

If I'm a Utd fan, I'd be looking at consolidating the top 4 spot, with the ultimate aim/ bonus of getting an automatic Champions League slot. Getting out of the Champions League groups and maybe through the first knock-out round first time back. And a good, serious domestic cup run.

Anything beyond that I'd be ecstatic. All in stages.

Of course there's still the rest of the window to go and that could all change again. Just looking at you as I currently type IMHO.

Last edited:
Back