The Manchester United Thread

Darmian speaks English? ****, never knew. Sure Schweinsteiger does as well.

I do too. I hate you.

I rate him as good a RB as ANY you currently care to mention in World football. Gods honest. He's been one of the best kept secrets to regular watchers of Serie A the last few years.

'My first thought is to defend' ..... THATS what I'm talking about! Italy and Argentina truly do produce the best defenders in the World.

Great interview. What a really nice guy.

Last edited:
Darmian speaks English? ****, never knew. Sure Schweinsteiger does as well.
Yeah his English is fairly good tbh and should pick it up fairly easy. Schweinstiger can speak pretty much much fluent English. Cant wait to see him with his UTD jersey tomorrow :)

Darmian's meant to be a really likeable and respectable guy, definitely came across well in the interview.

Darmian's meant to be a really likeable and respectable guy, definitely came across well in the interview.
Seems to be well liked this from a Torino fan:

Gentlemen, ManUtd is my favorite English team but I am first and foremost a fan of Torino FC (aka Toro). I registered at RedCafe because I was curious of your reaction on the signing of Matteo Darmian. I watched every match he played in the last four years. I'm probably biased, but I can tell you that you'll love the guy and the player.

As a person, he's not the usual modern spoiled footballer: no tattoos , no piercings, no weird hairdos, no flashy sportcars, no slutty girlfriends. Never uttered a bad or unwise word, never showed jealousy or bad feelings towards anybody.

As a player, his growth has been impressive. He started as a central defender, then, being of normal built, he was turned into a right back (he's right foot) for a 4 defense. Torino took him 4 years ago, the team was then playing 4-2-4, then 2 years ago turned into 3-5-2 and Darmian (by the way, he's not Armenian. Possibly one of his ancestors came from Armenia some centuries ago but he's 100% Italian) was the right wing, covering the whole righr side of the pitch. Then Giampiero Ventura, Toro's coach and the man who created Darmian as an international player, moved him to the left, and Matteo didn't blink and barely noticed the difference.

Darmian is superb as a defender: it's very difficult to pass him, in the team he was nicknamed 'polipo' (octopus) because it seems he has many long legs stealing the ball from opponents. In the last 4 years he improved dramatically in the offensive phase: technically he's good but he's not a Brasilian, he can dribble, jump the defender, he's a fairly good crosser and sometimes scores. This season, among others, he scored the winning goals against Athletic Bilbao in Europa League (Toro won 3-2 at San Mames) and vs arch-rivals Juventus in Turin.

Tactically he's world class: I think he could play in virtually any position because he's an intelligent and versatile player, and he 'sees' the different situations very well. I am sure Mr. van Gaal will love his discipline and sagacity, and will make good use of it.

He is a very fit player: he has never missed a match for injury in 4 years, and being very correct he never had a red card and only a few yellows. He is playing in the national team since last year World Cup, always in the starting 11.

A number of teams were interested in signing up Darmian: Inter Milan, Napoli and Roma in Italy, Barcelona, Bayern and ManUtd abroad. ManUtd was more determined, and now he's one of yours.

All Toro's fans are sad to see him going away, but at the same time we are happy that he went to ManUtd. Another player passed from Toro to the Red Devils a few years ago: someone Denis Law, I don't know if you remember him ;-) I hope that'll prove to be a good omen.

Be good with Matteo, my friends. You will learn to love him, his stamina, his fair play, his professionalism, his low profile combined with his terrific performances. Those are the best spent €20m of the last 20 years, mark my words. All the best for your season, I'll try to watch all ManUtd matches.

Well, as we stand, you're still pretty mediocre at the back. Damian is a fantastic addition there, but then your struggling. Shaw should develop into an excellent player, But he's still not only adjusting to the major step up at Utd, but learning the game as a whole. Mistakes are naturally gonna' keep happening. And in the middle, unless you sign some experience. there's still got to be big questions marks.

Mediocre? ManUtd defense with all the injury issues conceded just 5 more goals than Chelsea. Now we have signed a proper RB instead of playing RW there. Shaw was the best LB in the league before joining ManUtd. So yes, he makes mistakes just like any player in the world and he is a quality LB already. Only issues is with CB, that too 1 CB. Smalling was superb in the second half and if we can sign 1 more CB like Otamendi then we are set. Calling the defense as mediocre is just what you are doing from last few weeks. Trolling and trying to get reactions. How can 3rd or 4th best defense in the league can be medicore when there were so many injury problems is beyond me. Maybe scouselogic.

Depay looks a great addition. But there's a whole new learning experience there for a young, relatively inexperienced kid on foreign shores with a heck of a lot of expectation on his shoulders. Di Maria I just don't think is suited to English football and can see him disappearing again when the weather turns. (Feel free to throw that back at me if he doesn't). I doubt he's at Utd this time next year but we'll see.

2nd highest assists in the league. With settled team we will see much better Di Maria.

The midfield depth is stronger, but not many top bracket difference makers. Although the German should have a big influence in there. And outside of Rooney, there's still next to nothing up front. And of course the ongoing big question mark is De Gea ..... Would it surprise you at all to see Madrid come in at the end of the window with a substantial enough offer and leave you screwed in the position as is their usual MO?

Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin (if we sign), Herrera, Carrick, Blind. There isn't a better collection on midfielders in the league. Depth, quality and class. For difference maker, we have Herrera who has proved his worth in the final third last season. Also there is no way De Gea will be sold if Madrid come late in the window. Not even for world record fee. This is just wishful thinking. Everyone including De Gea knows that. ManUtd are not bothered about losing him for free, so if they want, they have to sign him early.

Sounds like I'm being highly critical, and I do think your adding some very good building blocks and improving. But there's still a lot of developing to go that will doubtless be up and down again through year 2 as Van Gaal figures out what his best side and system is.

Yeah Van Gaal is clueless and takes 2 years to figure out his best side and system. That experiment was done last year.

6 games is one heck of a difference to make up in one close-season when you barely squeaked into 4th last time out.

Tell that to Liverpool and ManCity. ManCity were 11 points behind us when we won the league and they won it next season. 99-00 we won league by nearly 20 points, 00-01 it was 10 points and next season Arsenal won with 7 points lead. Last season is done and dusted. Only thing that counts is how team is improved and how good they play in the season.

Also 2007-08, Barca were 18 points behind Madrid and next season they won Treble.

If I'm a Utd fan, I'd be looking at consolidating the top 4 spot, with the ultimate aim/ bonus of getting an automatic Champions League slot. Getting out of the Champions League groups and maybe through the first knock-out round first time back. And a good, serious domestic cup run.

It's not like ManUtd are back in CL after a decade. We missed out just 1 season. Thank God ManUtd management doesn't share the same attitude.

Anything beyond that I'd be ecstatic. All in stages.

Sort of Understandable.

Of course there's still the rest of the window to go and that could all change again. Just looking at you as I currently type IMHO.

That's a class team and this is without considering other incoming transfers. We might sign Schneiderlin, Otamendia and other players.

Also this is excluding players like Mata, Fellaini who all have done well.

Also I can understand why few ManUtd fans are bit concerned about Bastian signing, IMO they are forgetting 30 is not too old in modern game with their fitness levels. Players like Scholes, Giggs, Pirlo, Alonso, Xavi, Zanetti, Maldini, Nesta all produced high level performance even in their 30s. Just going by recent examples, Scholes, Pirlo, Xavi were brilliant and all of them were 30+.

Mediocre? ManUtd defense with all the injury issues conceded just 5 more goals than Chelsea. Now we have signed a proper RB instead of playing RW there. Shaw was the best LB in the league before joining ManUtd. So yes, he makes mistakes just like any player in the world and he is a quality LB already. Only issues is with CB, that too 1 CB. Smalling was superb in the second half and if we can sign 1 more CB like Otamendi then we are set. Calling the defense as mediocre is just what you are doing from last few weeks. Trolling and trying to get reactions. How can 3rd or 4th best defense in the league can be medicore when there were so many injury problems is beyond me. Maybe scouselogic. .....

Sighs.

The vast majority of Utd fans appreciate that without De Gea in nets last year, your conceding a shed load more and finishing well outside the European places. Your defense is the most shambolic it's been a LONG time. The rest just isn't worth a response.

But hey, continue doing what you flippantly accuse others of and overrate Utd players whilst doing your usual schtick of getting ubber defensive and taking everything as a Liverpool attack on Utd. I guess in some f'ed way it's flattering that your still so bothered by us to think that. But hey, the man in your sig. remains completely obsessed so why would you be any different?

I shall remind you of this come next May though.

Last edited:
Sighs.

The vast majority of Utd fans appreciate that without De Gea in nets last year, your conceding a shed load more and finishing well outside the European places. Your defense is the most shambolic it's been a LONG time. The rest just isn't worth a response.

But hey, continue doing what you flippantly accuse others of and overrate Utd players whilst doing your usual schtick of getting ubber defensive and taking everything as a Liverpool attack on Utd. I guess in some f'ed way it's flattering that your still so bothered by us to think that. But hey, the man in your sig. remains completely obsessed so why would you be any different?

I shall remind you of this come next May though.

De Gea is part of the defense. Also we had whole new team with half new defense and half new midfield. So it's not all that bad.

Defense is shambolic compared to Rio Vida neville and Evra. Apart from Chelsea defense, every other defense is shambolic compared to that.

I'm not bothered about Liverpool and I haven't even used Liverpool as a defense or to compare with anyone. I was using your posts when talking about delusion. Like how Liverpool name carry weight in Europe and how Manutd are not all that, when all the facts and signings prove something else.

If anyone the only person obsessed is you about ManUtd. Your constant need to pat yourself on the back after making ridiculous post on ManUtd is cute though.

The man in my sig wanted to knock you off the perch and he did it. In his time, Liverpool were as relevant as Spurs in PL.

At least I rate players who have achieved something in the game and not based on imaginary talent.

Last edited:
igGo_AF5_normal.jpg
Jsk@jsk_redevil @alex_crook any chance Schniederlin deal can be wrapped up tomorrow before united leave for tour

Also I can understand why few ManUtd fans are bit concerned about Bastian signing, IMO they are forgetting 30 is not too old in modern game with their fitness levels. Players like Scholes, Giggs, Pirlo, Alonso, Xavi, Zanetti, Maldini, Nesta all produced high level performance even in their 30s. Just going by recent examples, Scholes, Pirlo, Xavi were brilliant and all of them were 30+.

Im not sure it's the age that is concerning people, more his regular injuries since 10/11 really

Im not sure it's the age that is concerning people, more his regular injuries since 10/11 really

If are expecting him to play every game then it would be an issue. If the game time is managed between Carrick and Bastian then it isn't IMO.

Apparently Saints have put in a bid for Jordie Classie matching the asking price and will not play in todays friendly as to complete the switch. Hopefully this is Schniederlin completing his move to us and can go on tour :)

Back