The Manchester United Thread

RVP read pretty dignified to me but there you go.

He didn't even have a pop at Van Gaal. He gave logical reasoning as to why he felt unfairly treated. This isn't the first time that we've heard of Van Gaal's ego getting the better of him. Rivaldo and Toni come to mind. Former players have claimed that he's patronising and treats the players like children. His ego took a big hit once, so he forced Rivaldo out on a free transfer at Barca, despite him having a year left on his contract!

You can only beat what's in front of you Nick it's true and I've no problem at all taking a chance on players from lesser leagues.

But it's natural folk are weary, particularly when it comes to strikers, when you look at the likes of Kezman, Guivarch, Kalou, Cisse etc who've had nothing like the same success in better leagues. Top notch talents like Van Nistelrooy are the exceptions to the rule coming over in situations like that.

Be very interesting to see how Depay both adapts and how quickly or not he settles. Very promising talent no question but a very big step up that we've seen can just as easily go the other way.

But the main point as regards any foreign player is not too many today take into consideration just how different the English game is to anywhere else. All they see is such and such a name that's done fantastic in a league where he's had the time to showcase his ability, and presume you just go out and get him and he'll fit straight in.

This isn't FM. If only team building was that easy.

But it's like a lot of transfers. Invariably risk is involved, but it's only more pronounced when the player is from abroad. Or perhaps he has played in a league where the competition is a far cry from the pursuing team competes against.

Yes you can list a lot of players who have struggled to adapt and taken longer to produce what they were bought for. Sometimes they never come around. But then that leaves everyone else who has made it. The players that have even gone above and beyond to become one of the best. I don't know the statistics, or how you would necessarily quantify that "success" against the unsuccessful, but I would say it is fairly even.

Which brings it back to this: if you never take the chance, then you'll never know. Sure they may not be what they were before but that is part of football. Always has been.

Rooney, Van Persie and Falcao only managed 26 league goals between them last season. None of those three have the athleticism to dribble half the pitch and score (maybe Rooney 5 years ago). Manchester United were shocking creatively for most of last season, meaning that the strikers struggled. To make things worse, Van Gaal was chopping and changing tactics and strikers. Van Persie wasn't particularly bad up front, unlike Falcao who was stealing a living. It was unfair on Van Persie that he struggled to make the match squad in the second half of the season, when Falcao did nothing to warrant displacing him. When Falcao, Van Persie and Valdes are deadwood within a season, something is not right.

O.o Really?

Valdes - aging, injury prone hasbeen.
Falcao - aging, injury prone hasbeen.
RVP - aging, injury prone hasbeen.

Seeing a pattern here? Remember, he retires 2 years, his job is to rebuild the team and leave it with solid enough spine that will last next half a decade. Keeping fringe players for too long was late Fergie biggest flaw.

And Rivaldo-LVG debacle, if I'm not mistaken, was due to Rivaldo refusing to play in critical part of the season so he can be rested for the Korean World Cup.

He didn't even have a pop at Van Gaal. He gave logical reasoning as to why he felt unfairly treated. This isn't the first time that we've heard of Van Gaal's ego getting the better of him. Rivaldo and Toni come to mind. Former players have claimed that he's patronising and treats the players like children. His ego took a big hit once, so he forced Rivaldo out on a free transfer at Barca, despite him having a year left on his contract!

Yeah selling player who is paid around 250K per week and is second choice (and RVP was not happy with being bench player) and had his worse season is all about ego and nothing to do with letting go player who is of no use to the team.

Your posts about Van Gaal and his management are just nonsense. Just because Wenger is so gutless to make those decisions doesn't mean everyone can't. Managers like Fergie, Jose are ruthless. It's their way or out of the club, obviously with rare exceptions.

Confirmed that Lacazette is 100% staying at Lyon next season. Just watched the interview where he confirmed it himself. Said he has no intentionto leave and has told the club not to listen to offers this Summer. Just wants to concentrate on playing well for Lyon and getting ready for the European Championships. Great attitude imo!

Confirmed that Lacazette is 100% staying at Lyon next season. Just watched the interview where he confirmed it himself. Said he has no intentionto leave and has told the club not to listen to offers this Summer. Just wants to concentrate on playing well for Lyon and getting ready for the European Championships. Great attitude imo!

After last nights Milan game? Yeah, just been reading that an hour or so back.

It's an interesting situation as the coach admitted the President is openly shopping him around for the right price. (£35 million.).

He's saying the right things to his credit and completely covering himself; but if that offer came in, it moves out of his hands.

Managers like Fergie, Jose are ruthless. It's their way or out of the club, obviously with rare exceptions.

Pretty much. With the exception of Ancelotti, all the other top managers who's career I followed closely were gigantic *****. That's just how it is.

Can't take anything from a player anymore, Fabian Delph?

No one gets over 50 caps for Spain and over 200 appearances at Barca if they are not good. Who would you rather? ***** a load on one season hype Harry Kane or even worse Benteke. (Before he moved).

Neither - Id go for Lukaku or Lacazette.

Neither - Id go for Lukaku or Lacazette.

Nothing special, don't think he'd suit LVG's system/philosophy, wasn't worth what Everton paid for him let alone what we'd need to in order to get him.

Yeah selling player who is paid around 250K per week and is second choice (and RVP was not happy with being bench player) and had his worse season is all about ego and nothing to do with letting go player who is of no use to the team.

Your posts about Van Gaal and his management are just nonsense. Just because Wenger is so gutless to make those decisions doesn't mean everyone can't. Managers like Fergie, Jose are ruthless. It's their way or out of the club, obviously with rare exceptions.

It's rediculous to say that Wenger has been gutless to make those decisions. Have you been under a rock for the past 18 years? Half of our squad has changed in the past 3 due to many players not making the grade. One example is Lucas Podolski who wasn't doing much for 100k a week. Fergie and Mourinho didn't let their egos take over the job. Van Gaal has a reputation for being patronising, this I personally don't like his management style.

hVCz9p74_normal.jpeg
Sid Lowe
@sidlowe Man U current position: David De Gea will not be allowed to go if Ramos is not allowed to (De Gea wants to go and has agreement w RM). 6

Pinched this from the 'rumour thread.' The last tweet in Lowe's summary of the situation regarding Ramos and DDG.

Wanted to put it in here as it continues to amaze me how the bolded part doesn't concern many on here at all. You'd hope he'd continue to be professional and give everything. But this season's scenario is completely different to last and he's now openly saying he wants out. He's gonna' get his move regardless of what his form is like this year if he stays. Nothings stopping that whether it's now or for free a year down the line. Keeping an unhappy player is to a clubs detriment. Keeping one that knows he's guaranteed to get his move for free a year down the line whatever his play is like is boneheadedly stupid.

I know we've been back and forth on the discussion on this but the prudent thing to do, as much as you don't want to lose him, is take whatever they're offering and get someone else in. Regardless of weather Ramos is ultimately part of that or not.

At this rate you run the risk of getting the end of the window and DDG going anyway, with no time to get a replacement in or another CB. Or being stuck with an unhappy player who may not be upto the difference making standards he was last year and losing out all ways round on the money you could of gotten.

Last edited:
Nothing special, don't think he'd suit LVG's system/philosophy, wasn't worth what Everton paid for him let alone what we'd need to in order to get him.

I don't see any new striker of that quality at United this summer. There are probably many European clubs that can offer more minutes. The only player United would need is a possible replacement for De Gea. United have signed enough already to progress

De Gea doesn't seem to be unhappy and to be honest, I can't really see a big drop in performances next season. The reason is that he would want to impress Real Madrid, win trophies and he wouldn't want to let down his teammates. He doesn't appear desperate to leave, despite favouring a move to Real Madrid.

Pinched this from the 'rumour thread.' The last tweet in Lowe's summary of the situation regarding Ramos and DDG.

Wanted to put it in here as it continues to amaze me how the bolded part doesn't concern many on here at all. You'd hope he'd continue to be professional and give everything. But this season's scenario is completely different to last and he's now openly saying he wants out. He's gonna' get his move regardless of what his form is like this year if he stays. Nothings stopping that whether it's now or for free a year down the line. Keeping an unhappy player is to a clubs detriment. Keeping one that knows he's guaranteed to get his move for free a year down the line whatever his play is like is boneheadedly stupid.

I know we've been back and forth on the discussion on this but the prudent thing to do, as much as you don't want to lose him, is take whatever they're offering and get someone else in. Regardless of weather Ramos is ultimately part of that or not.

At this rate you run the risk of getting the end of the window and DDG going anyway, with no time to get a replacement in or another CB. Or being stuck with an unhappy player who may not be upto the difference making standards he was last year and losing out all ways round on the money you could of gotten.
Its not to the detriment of the club at all and we wont sell unless we get what we want. We aint backing down. DDG will be professional agreement or not, hence no transfer request. Lets not keep going over this. Its our way or no way!

De Gea doesn't seem to be unhappy and to be honest, I can't really see a big drop in performances next season. The reason is that he would want to impress Real Madrid, win trophies and he wouldn't want to let down his teammates. He doesn't appear desperate to leave, despite favouring a move to Real Madrid.

He's being professional

He's nobody to impress. They know what they're getting. They're getting him regardless. This season is completely immaterial to that.

He might well be professional and give everything.

But it's far more of a gamble now than it ever has been.

At last some sense on the situation. I think its clear to all he wants the move. But at the same time has remained a top pro throughout, hence no transfer request to the club. He knows he will get his move eventually and perform no matter what. You just need to see the training videos of him on tour atm.

Back