The Manchester United Thread

He's nobody to impress. They know what they're getting. They're getting him regardless. This season is completely immaterial to that.

He might well be professional and give everything.

But it's far more of a gamble now than it ever has been.
There's every reason for De Gea to keep on performing. There are 4 trophies up for grabs next season, he isn't unhappy at United, he hasn't written a transfer request and he wouldn't want to let down his teammates. The only reason that a player would play like **** would be to force the club to sell him, which is pointless because he's available for free at the end of the season. Doing that would mean that he would have alienated himself from his teammates, meaning that he would do a Tevez (go golfing in Argentina) or end up in the under-21s which is more effort than it's worth and therefore pointless, as he has trophies to play for.

Pinched this from the 'rumour thread.' The last tweet in Lowe's summary of the situation regarding Ramos and DDG.

Wanted to put it in here as it continues to amaze me how the bolded part doesn't concern many on here at all. You'd hope he'd continue to be professional and give everything. But this season's scenario is completely different to last and he's now openly saying he wants out. He's gonna' get his move regardless of what his form is like this year if he stays. Nothings stopping that whether it's now or for free a year down the line. Keeping an unhappy player is to a clubs detriment. Keeping one that knows he's guaranteed to get his move for free a year down the line whatever his play is like is boneheadedly stupid.

I know we've been back and forth on the discussion on this but the prudent thing to do, as much as you don't want to lose him, is take whatever they're offering and get someone else in. Regardless of weather Ramos is ultimately part of that or not.

At this rate you run the risk of getting the end of the window and DDG going anyway, with no time to get a replacement in or another CB. Or being stuck with an unhappy player who may not be upto the difference making standards he was last year and losing out all ways round on the money you could of gotten.

Source on DDG saying he wants to leave? As far as im aware he hasn't openly, as in gone to the media, said that he wants to leave. The main reason he wants to go to Madrid is because his GF hates Manchester/England. DDG would happily stay if it wasn't for her.

That's right, he's going to get his transfer in a year no matter how terrible he performs. But the Euro's are next year. He'd probably care if he got dropped for that for his terrible form. I'm also pretty sure he'd care about his reputation of being a professional. "Stroppy child that cries and plays terribly because he doesn't get what he wants". Probably something he doesn't want people to say about him. And like I said, it's his GF that's unhappy. He's fine to stay with Man Utd for another year and then go.

Why would Man Utd suddenly change their mind last minute in the transfer window and sell him knowing they wont have a replacement? That's ridiculously stupid and something Man Utd wouldn't do.

There's every reason for De Gea to keep on performing. There are 4 trophies up for grabs next season, he isn't unhappy at United, he hasn't written a transfer request and he wouldn't want to let down his teammates. The only reason that a player would play like **** would be to force the club to sell him, which is pointless because he's available for free at the end of the season. Doing that would mean that he would have alienated himself from his teammates, meaning that he would do a Tevez (go golfing in Argentina) or end up in the under-21s which is more effort than it's worth and therefore pointless, as he has trophies to play for.

Now you're running away with things in your own words.

I wasn't suggesting he'd 'play like ****.' But there's the natural possibility that things slacken off when a player knows he's going. He makes a mistake, the rumours start that he isn't fully committed and so it rolls. It's far from an unprecedented scenario that has seem similar results in the past.

Whatever way anyone wants to justify it, it's a whole lot riskier situation now than it ever has been.

Last edited:
Nothing special, don't think he'd suit LVG's system/philosophy, wasn't worth what Everton paid for him let alone what we'd need to in order to get him.

Actually you re very wrong. He s still very young and has already done quite a bit. He scores quite a few and in a limited team such as EVERTON. Plus he's quite powerful and I think he'd suit the LVG system.

I ve found this old article which quite nails it:

Stating the bleeding obvious is generally a sure-fire way to draw some instant and frank criticism, often with that most dreary of accusations, 'lazy journalism'. Cristiano Ronaldo scores lots of goals, lazy journalism. Football is becoming a game based on greed, lazy journalism. Brendan Rodgers has said the word "outstanding", lazy journalism. It's a tiresome to and fro, based on the odd dichotomy that people like hearing what they want to hear but get angry about reading things they already know.
Sometimes, however, the obvious needs stating. As football nears ever closer to soap opera, there is a danger of allowing the reaction to determine the story. A manager can all too quickly become a 'legend' after just a few successful months, whilst a player can lose their glowing reputation just as quickly as it was gained.

On that note, forgive me for my own statement of the bleeding obvious: Romelu Lukaku is a wonderful footballer.
It's a declaration that shouldn't need repeating. Against Young Boys on Thursday evening Lukaku scored his 96th, 97th and 98th senior goals of his career - he doesn't turn 22 until May. By way of comparison (and not intended as a slight on the Manchester United forward), Wayne Rooney scored his 100th career goal at the age of 22 and 88 days. And you thought he started quickly.
Lukaku's record since arriving in England is mightily impressive. Since the beginning of 2012/13, only Luis Suarez, Robin van Persie and Sergio Aguero have scored more Premier League goals. The likes of Rooney, Olivier Giroud, Daniel Sturridge are all trailing behind.

The Belgian was also scoring his goals for a non-fashionable, non-top four team. Rooney, Sturridge and Giroud all had more shots than Lukaku in the league last season - Suarez had more than double Lukaku's total of 73.
And yet Lukaku's prowess does need reaffirming. It feels as if his is a name readily taken in vain, the easy fall guy. Rather than question Roberto Martinez's logic in spending all of his transfer budget on one striker, the widespread reaction appears to be to question Lukaku's attitude when he fails to lead Everton to glory. Martinez is effectively forced to start his £28m signing in every match, particularly after the departure of Samuel Eto'o in January.

A reminder: Lukaku is 21 years old. He has played over 250 career matches at such a young age and has not had a significant break for almost two years. In his debut Premier League season, his first in a new country and new league, Lukaku scored 17 goals - Raheem Sterling was the only player younger than him to score more than once.
Of course Lukaku isn't the perfect striker. There are times when his finishing lets him down and he occasionally gets frustrated at a lack of service from midfield. His shooting accuracy and chance conversion have dropped from last season, but that may well be a result of being played into the ground to the point of fatigue.

Certainly the idea that Lukaku does not care are wide of the mark, for he is a player constantly working to better himself. "I watch a lot of games and in a week I watch ten games, easy," the striker said. "In Belgium, you grow up watching all the leagues - Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England - and I watch them all. I remember watching Bayern Munich v Man City last year and Muller was always running in behind, running in behind. He never got the ball four times. But the fifth time he did it - goal. I tried that in a game and the third time I did, I got it and scored." It's only one brief anecdote, but the point is clear: What would Lukaku have to gain by resting on his laurels?

The obvious conclusion is that too many are guilty of expecting footballers to be robotic perfectionists, replicas of their computer game personas - FIFA has warped our view of football reality. How many players are perfectly honed at that age? Cristiano Ronaldo didn't score more than ten goals in a league season until he was 22, Lukaku did it at 17.

One thing that is true is that Lukaku was a boy wonder who could potentially become a world class striker. Rather than settling for a squad place at Stamford Bridge, he decided to drop down the league in order to further develop his game. The striker obviously has (recently stated) ambitions to play at the very top again, but which 21-year-old footballer, having already eaten briefly at the top table, would not hold such desires?

For now, Lukaku suffers from an ugly modern trend where people want to find reasons to criticise rather than compliment. It's never a case of congratulating a player for what they've done, but chastising them for what they haven't. We're unable to reach perfection in our own lives and yet we demand it from footballers, no matter what their age.

In fact, being something of a child prodigy acts as an albatross around the neck of a player. "Sometimes I think people forget I'm still 21," said Lukaku in December. "They think I'm 25 or 26 because I've been around for a few seasons now. I'm still 21, sometimes mistakes happen - things happen because you don't have the right experience. If I keep improving like this, then when I'm 25 or 26, that's when there will be no excuses."

Look again at that list of players with more goals than Lukaku since August 2012. Suarez, Van Persie, Aguero, each one of them at least half a decade older than the Everton striker. Maybe he's not doing so badly after all.

Last edited:
Actually you re very wrong. He s still very young and has already done quite a bit. He scores quite a few and in a limited team such as EVERTON.

Then please feel free to step in and take the next best thing in Benteke.

Please. :P

595D0D7CD189406984A8F300C28CC479.ashx
6381B0EC6A2641248478CE94D3B3B54C.ashx
4E33C9157B6E42A2B670AA5D6CC8A8B9.ashx

And then there's this clown:

[video=youtube;of_jgcnUv_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_jgcnUv_E[/video]

If ever anyone wanted to know the difference between between the Country's 2 biggest clubs last year, there's the major one right there.
Arsenal and Chelsea are much bigger clubs than Liverpool. Take away a few trophies decades ago and Liverpool are barely one of the top 4 biggest in Europe this season.

Back