The Manchester United Thread

Another CB doesn't give us consistency. Said CB and others staying fit does

That's pretty much my point anyway, just stating we need an additional CB as well. Others staying fit is a big help to build consistent partnership.

That's pretty much my point anyway, just stating we need an additional CB as well. Others staying fit is a big help to build consistent partnership.

But even with a new CB if 2 of those dont stay consistently fit then you cant build a consistent partnership. Lets say for instance the only two fit are Evans and McNair. They could play 5 games together building that consistent partnership, but as soon as Smalling becomes available, one will go out for Smalling breaking up that partnership, regardless of how well that pairing is doing. Then when Jones gets back do you throw out the other aswell? Then one of those gets injured and you have to replace one again. You can have 10 CB's but if 2 dont stay consistently fit you can never build a partnership, and if its not your preffered 2 that are always fit, we'll still always be chopping and changing because as soon as the so called better defenders is available they will immediately be put back in.

But even with a new CB if 2 of those dont stay consistently fit then you cant build a consistent partnership. Lets say for instance the only two fit are Evans and McNair. They could play 5 games together building that consistent partnership, but as soon as Smalling becomes available, one will go out for Smalling breaking up that partnership, regardless of how well that pairing is doing. Then when Jones gets back do you throw out the other aswell? Then one of those gets injured and you have to replace one again. You can have 10 CB's but if 2 dont stay consistently fit you can never build a partnership, and if its not your preffered 2 that are always fit, we'll still always be chopping and changing because as soon as the so called better defenders is available they will immediately be put back in.

I'm semi-confident Smalling can kick on now after second half of last season, in reality our best partnership right now we could have is Smalling-Rojo, but LVG actually prefers Smalling-Jones due to their better understanding together. There isn't a perfect answer, we're unlucky with injuries, or they are just injury prone.. especially Jones.

I'm semi-confident Smalling can kick on now after second half of last season, in reality our best partnership right now we could have is Smalling-Rojo, but LVG actually prefers Smalling-Jones due to their better understanding together. There isn't a perfect answer, we're unlucky with injuries, or they are just injury prone.. especially Jones.

I expect the injuries with Jones simply because of how physical he is. He puts absolutely everything on the line. Smalling however seems a bit more composed if you know what I mean. Kind of like a Rio/Smalling - Vidic/Jones comparison in styles. Smalling should only benefit from having one or both of Carrick/Schneiderlin infront of him. Hopefully it will give that bit more time for Jones to compose himself aswell, rather than seeing a danger and immediately go flying in as seems to be the case. Quite a few times he comes charging out from the back trying to sniff out a bit of danger and doesnt quite get there in time exposing the defense. If he can learn to hold back a little bit and let those infront sort it first, it may ultimately help with his injuries aswell by not flying in so much and over exerting himself.

I expect the injuries with Jones simply because of how physical he is. He puts absolutely everything on the line. Smalling however seems a bit more composed if you know what I mean. Kind of like a Rio/Smalling - Vidic/Jones comparison in styles. Smalling should only benefit from having one or both of Carrick/Schneiderlin infront of him. Hopefully it will give that bit more time for Jones to compose himself aswell, rather than seeing a danger and immediately go flying in as seems to be the case. Quite a few times he comes charging out from the back trying to sniff out a bit of danger and doesnt quite get there in time exposing the defense. If he can learn to hold back a little bit and let those infront sort it first, it may ultimately help with his injuries aswell by not flying in so much and over exerting himself.

Spot on there, I really like Jones attitude/approach and wouldn't change it but he does need to be more composed at times.

DFCD2D2857104CFE8B8498212E077A99.ashx
DF23F942196A4945B95A16568E39DE6A.ashx

What would people prefer to see this season?

Cillesen
Darmian-Smalling-Ramos-Shaw
Schweinstger
Schneiderlin-Herrera
Mata-Rooney-Memphis 433

Cillesen
Darmian-Smalling-Ramos-Shaw
Schweinstger-Herrera
Pedro-Mata-Memphis
Rooney 4231

The first set-up but without Cillesen and Ramos. I think we'll get Romero. And out of the two, why buy Cillesen when you can have Romero free? He doesnt bring anything extra worth paying for IMO.

Cant see us getting Ramos. Even if De Gea does go. Think it will be Otamendi if anyone but would be happy with no-one. More game time for McNair.

Also swap Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin around.

The first set-up but without Cillesen and Ramos. I think we'll get Romero. And out of the two, why buy Cillesen when you can have Romero free? He doesnt bring anything extra worth paying for IMO.

Cant see us getting Ramos. Even if De Gea does go. Think it will be Otamendi if anyone but would be happy with no-one. More game time for McNair.

Also swap Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin around.
Yeah prefer the 433 and agree with Swapping the 2 around! Think we will get Ramos though.

Romero is nothing special tbh. Definitely not good enough to be a starter in a top club.

Romero would replace lindegaard. And I don't expect de Gea to go without Ramos coming in. Unless Madrid pay £28m. In which case Otamendi would arrive unless another club forces our hand. All a poker game

oh and definitely 4-3-3

Spot on. If Carrick stayed injury free the whole last season, you'd have a serious shot of winning the title. Now you can rotate Schweiny with Carrick, so that shouldn't be a problem. Then there's Schneiderlin who is miles ahead of Herrera/Fellaini in terms of shielding the backline, and Darmian, who I didn't see play, but you don't start for Italian NT if you can't defend.
From the few games that I have watched of him, he plays a lot like Gary Neville. Maybe it's because I haven't seen a good defensive RB for a long time, but his defending impresses me a lot.

I'd take Ramos over Otamendi any day of the week anyways. I don't see how that's even a discussion. Ramos is 3 things Otamendi isn't: great in the air, great on the ball, and great leader of mankind.

Back