The Manchester United Thread

I'd take Ramos over Otamendi any day of the week anyways. I don't see how that's even a discussion. Ramos is 3 things Otamendi isn't: great in the air, great on the ball, and great leader of mankind.
I think it shows something about the instant thinking of football. One season Otamendi is as good as anyone, zzezzy is right. But that's one season. Look at their form over 3 years, only one them is consistently brilliant. And it's not the Argie.

Manchester United will rake in £750m from the new adidas deal... so here, Sportmail looks at what went on behind the scenes as their 13-year relationship with Nike ended

Last year, United made £37.5m from merchandise.
In the first year of the new deal they will rake in £75m from adidas.
Then comes the money from the other licensed products – the coffee mug and pyjama cash.
Yes, United will now have to absorb manufacturing costs, but the 100 per cent profit will boost the coffers substantially.
In the last quarterly statement to the New York Stock Exchange, Woodward said as much.
‘On the commercial side we are excited by the numerous opportunities for further growth, including the first year of our 10-year partnership with adidas,’ he explained.
The agreement is being used in the prospectus aimed at attracting new stock market investors

It is difficult to put a figure on how much revenue the new terms will generate but consider this – more than five million Manchester United branded items were sold last year and of those just two million were jerseys.
Add the increased merchandising revenues to the new TV deal and to the expected £50m boost from Champions League football (should they win the qualifying play-off) and it is little wonder why there is a buoyancy among senior figures at the club.
It is also little wonder why many believe very few players in world football are now out of United’s reach.
Watch this space

Read more: Manchester United will rake in £750m from the new adidas deal... Sportmail looks behind the scenes | Daily Mail Online

We can dress up Ramos all we like, but at the end of the day he's just coming for a big pay day not because he really wants to play for the club.

Otamendi was better last season as we've already discussed, he wants to fight and play for us. Who knows he may step up his game even more than last season when he plays in a better team? Imagine that, like Vidic he'll be an absolute beast. Also consider the fact that him and Rojo together will form a fantastic partnership, they already work well together and know each other. Mix this all in with the few extra years he has on his side and the cheaper release clause than what we'll pay for Ramos makes this a more appealing deal to me.

They even look alike ffs

Woah, wouldn't go that far.

Why do you even care which one is more expensive? You could easily afford Ronaldo, Messi, Neuer and Pogba just from Adidas deal, for ***** sake. Its just that they're not for sale.

Not to mention the of marquee signing like Ramos automatically drives more marketing money, so the actual price difference is negligible.

Otamendi had one good season, we get it. Previous season he didn't make it to World Cup over City bench sitter Demichelis.

Ramos hardly set a foot wrong for nearly 10 years now. While facing some of the toughest opponents in football, year after year, and usually coming out on top.

Why do you even care which one is more expensive? You could easily afford Ronaldo, Messi, Neuer and Pogba just from Adidas deal, for ***** sake. Its just that they're not for sale.

Not to mention the of marquee signing like Ramos automatically drives more marketing money, so the actual price difference is negligible.

Otamendi had one good season, we get it. Previous season he didn't make it to World Cup over City bench sitter Demichelis.

Ramos hardly set a foot wrong for nearly 10 years now. While facing some of the toughest opponents in football, year after year, and usually coming out on top.

Also he had Pepe next to him, whilst sometimes a monster can be a complete liability too.

Ramos marked Lewandowski out of the game twice.

I probably don't need to remind you what happened when Pepe marked him.

To be fair to Pepe, Ramos got 3x the amount of yellows in the league and twice as many as him in Champions league last year XD

When Pepe goes off on one he does do it properly though lol

Last edited:
I really cant stand Ramos. If there was any player I'd love to see get their legs broke its him. He's a sly dirty *******. He dives. He cheats. If something happens on the pitch 70 yards away hes always the first one in a players face crying over something, despite having to sprint 70 yards to get there he always seems to be the first in making things kick off, or in the ref's face waving imaginary cards. I really cant stand him and everything about him.

You could agrue thats what we have been missing probably since Keane. Somebody on the pitch that wont take any ****. Thats all well and good, but when the roles are reversed, the slightest breath on his face causes him to hit the deck like a sack of ****, waving imaginary cards at the ref while being stretchered off in agony, only to return 30 seconds later and put a sly boot into the player that breathed too heavily in his direction.

Of course. Ramos is a ****, but he's the kind of **** that you want on your team.

Same deal as with Diego Costa. 95% of the world would love to see the guy get hit by a truck, but Chelsea fans ********* just after seeing his wrinkled face.

To be fair to Pepe, Ramos got 3x the amount of yellows in the league and twice as many as him in Champions league last year XD

When Pepe goes off on one he does do it properly though lol

Yeah, when Pepe goes off, Ramos is under the shower already. :D

sorry not for me, he is too much of a liability at times, just loses his head.

I agree. Sometimes Pepe just loses it but he is still better CB than Ramos who just loses all the time.

Ramos marked Lewandowski out of the game twice.

I probably don't need to remind you what happened when Pepe marked him.

When Lewandowski socred 4 goals, both Pepe and Ramos played. So not sure what's the point. In all the 4 games against DOrtmund Ramos and Pepe played the game.

On the other hand, you can check how Pepe man marked Messi out of the game before he was wrongfully sent off.

Of course. Ramos is a ****, but he's the kind of **** that you want on your team.

Same deal as with Diego Costa. 95% of the world would love to see the guy get hit by a truck, but Chelsea fans ********* just after seeing his wrinkled face.

I agree with this. You need someone like Ramos in the team to pump the team, before it was Rooney but he has mellowed down a lot thanks to media and SAF but you need some character like Ramos in the team.

Back