The Manchester United Thread

Meh, he's not going to be first choice this season so why even worry? He's going to say something like potential first choice in future in order to make him fight for his place, right? Or else where is his ambition? LVG wouldn't want a mistake prone goalkeeper so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also in this interview video on Sky Sports LVG says he wants Di Maria to stay because we need more creativity and pace in the team... if he goes... we will lack, no question about it. Pretty much what I've been saying all along but hey ho.

United want Di Maria to stay | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Not sure it's the right kinda thing to say we need a superstar mind you, great way to push prices up unless you already have a player 'in the process' so to speak.

we literally posted the entire interview above. And you should note he points to the CL about it, not the Prem

Meh, he's not going to be first choice this season so why even worry? He's going to say something like potential first choice in future in order to make him fight for his place, right? Or else where is his ambition? LVG wouldn't want a mistake prone goalkeeper so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

And that's what I said. Not bothered if he is just to make up the numbers but not as first choice keeper.

It's interesting that Van Gaal mentioned Hazard, Aguero in PL, Barca's trio and that we are lacking that kind of players to change the game. Maybe they are really trying to sign a big name who can change the game. Not sure who is available though.

Such players are never "available". You push very hard for them. Reus is one i would say is around.

we literally posted the entire interview above. And you should note he points to the CL about it, not the Prem

Van Gaal: "Ashley Young had a fantastic season last time, but he is not a Neymar, and we have to compete with that kind of class.”

--------

Ouch! True though, can't question Young's commitment but he doesn't provide that real quality in sometimes you really crave for which Di Maria can provide for example in any moment, regardless of how he's playing.

Van Gaal: "Ashley Young had a fantastic season last time, but he is not a Neymar, and we have to compete with that kind of class.”

--------

Ouch! True though, can't question Young's commitment but he doesn't provide that real quality in sometimes you really crave for which Di Maria can provide for example in any moment, regardless of how he's playing.

That's something for the CL, not for the league though. That's the point I'm making. You can win the league without a player like Di Maria, in fact I'd argue a play like Pedro is better because you need consistency to win the league. You can't win the CL with a moment maker.

You definitely cannot say regardless of how he is playing, because there were a large number of games he was subbed off without making any kind of impact.

Not sure it's the right kinda thing to say we need a superstar mind you, great way to push prices up unless you already have a player 'in the process' so to speak.
Well to be fair the superstars are gonna cost an extravagant amount anyway. I doubt what LVG says in the press will have affect much.

That's something for the CL, not for the league though. That's the point I'm making. You can win the league without a player like Di Maria, in fact I'd argue a play like Pedro is better because you need consistency to win the league. You can't win the CL with a moment maker.

Surely we should have ambitions for both though? Pretty sure LVG said target was Semi's, I honestly can't see us getting that far with the current squad, it's just lacking in too many areas atm for me.

Still think we need a CB, Striker and a wide player if Di Maria goes. Don't see how Chicharito is suddenly the answer when he wasn't before, he's a poacher, not a lot more. Wouldn't want to rely on him with a big Rooney injury.

Surely we should have ambitions for both though? Pretty sure LVG said target was Semi's, I honestly can't see us getting that far with the current squad, it's just lacking in too many areas atm for me.

Still think we need a CB, Striker and a wide player if Di Maria goes. Don't see how Chicharito is suddenly the answer when he wasn't before, he's a poacher, not a lot more. Wouldn't want to rely on him with a big Rooney injury.

If we can get that player then sure. I cant see us past quarters right now. And I'd still want a CB and striker regardless. The question is if that moment maker is also a striker. Which is why I think the players in question are Pedro and Muller

Such players are never "available". You push very hard for them. Reus is one i would say is around.

Reus like Di Maria plays in a fast tempo team and team that is excellent in counter attacking. Something completely different to what we play, so we might end up with same problem.

Well to be fair the superstars are gonna cost an extravagant amount anyway. I doubt what LVG says in the press will have affect much.

True, can't see us signing one now tbh. I wouldn't even expect anything now apart from Pedro. Good squad player but not convinced he's going to be anything more.

The only CB remotely left who we can realistically go for is Otamendi.... unless he goes for a slightly younger option such as De Vrij but that's going to ask more questions than it solves in current situation.

Reus like Di Maria plays in a fast tempo team and team that is excellent in counter attacking. Something completely different to what we play, so we might end up with same problem.

This is very true. And this is also why I think Pedro suits us better, despite being a lesser. He plays consistently in a possession based side against teams who wants to give you no space in behind. and his goalscoring record despite losing his place speaks for himself. Ideally you'd have both. Still time to go so who knows?

True, can't see us signing one now tbh. I wouldn't even expect anything now apart from Pedro. Good squad player but not convinced he's going to be anything more.

The only CB remotely left who we can realistically go for is Otamendi.... unless he goes for a slightly younger option such as De Vrij but that's going to ask more questions than it solves in current situation.

We said about Di Maria last season tbf.

This isn't one of them Ramos had to go into the meeting with Perez get him back on side and allow all the bollox in the media that he now wants to stay in order for him to go on Madrid's terms is it? To make it look like it was Madrid's decision to let him go scenario, rather than them losing a player due to his wishes, let alone club captain.

This isn't one of them Ramos had to go into the meeting with Perez get him back on side and allow all the bollox in the media that he now wants to stay in order for him to go on Madrid's terms is it? To make it look like it was Madrid's decision to let him go scenario.

No idea, he hasn't put it up yet. Sid is very old school. He puts his article up on the site first, and then tweets it.

Manchester United’s pursuit of Sergio Ramos has suffered a serious setback after Real Madrid’s president Florentino Pérez told the defender that he would not be sold under any circumstances during a long meeting in Guangzhou, China.
Although there are still five weeks of the transfer window remaining, the belief from some quarters is that Ramos’s departure is now impossible and United are considering their next move. Ramos has not agreed a contract renewal at the Bernabéu and it is not yet clear whether he has finally given up on the move.
The meeting, which ran into Sunday night, was attended by Pérez, Ramos, José Ángel Sánchez, Madrid’s chief executive, and Ramos’s brother and agent, René. Ramos reiterated his desire to join United, who have made two formal bids for the defender, but Pérez outright refused to countenance a sale. With two years left on his current contract, Ramos’s ability to force Madrid’s hand is limited. It is the club, ultimately, who hold sway.
500.jpg

[h=1]Sergio Romero joins Manchester United from Sampdoria on three-year deal[/h]

Read more

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/27/sergio-romero-joins-manchester-united-alkmaar

United’s position is that they will not sell David de Gea unless they are allowed to sign Ramos. As it stands, the goalkeeper would be forced to stay at Old Trafford. Whether United will continue to stick to that stance, following the news from China and having confirmed the signing of Sergio Romero, remains to be seen.
Pérez sought to rebuild bridges, aware that his relationship with Ramos has become difficult, but more significant was his refusal to budge. He insisted that any attempt from Ramos to publicly declare his desire to leave would not make a departure more likely; it would rather just make the player’s relationship with the supporters difficult.
Ramos had previously told Madrid of his intention to leave at a meeting with Ángel Sánchez at the club’s Valdebebas training ground on 24 June and a tense telephone conversation with Pérez followed. At that point, Madrid set a fee that was prohibitively high but did not reject a move out of hand.
Neither player nor president had said anything publicly in the meantime, although Ramos’s camp did express their desire to leave Madrid for Manchester on Sky Sports and Louis Van Gaal confirmed United’s interest when he talked about transfers as being a “process”, adding: “Maybe mister Ramos is in the process.”
Madrid’s position has hardened over the last fortnight. During Iker Casillas’s send off at the Bernabéu, supporters chanted: “Ramos is not for sale” and called for the president to resign. Pérez came under huge criticism for the way in which Casillas’s departure was handled. Allowing one captain to go was damaging enough; allowing the second captain to do so would have been even more risky.
That day, Pérez said that he had allowed Casillas to leave because that had been the player’s desire. Asked if that applied to other footballers, i.e. Ramos, he replied: “there are some players with contracts who want to go who will not be allowed to.” That remained his position in China.

Manchester United’s pursuit of Sergio Ramos has suffered a serious setback after Real Madrid’s president Florentino Pérez told the defender that he would not be sold under any circumstances during a long meeting in Guangzhou, China.
Although there are still five weeks of the transfer window remaining, the belief from some quarters is that Ramos’s departure is now impossible and United are considering their next move. Ramos has not agreed a contract renewal at the Bernabéu and it is not yet clear whether he has finally given up on the move.
The meeting, which ran into Sunday night, was attended by Pérez, Ramos, José Ángel Sánchez, Madrid’s chief executive, and Ramos’s brother and agent, René. Ramos reiterated his desire to join United, who have made two formal bids for the defender, but Pérez outright refused to countenance a sale. With two years left on his current contract, Ramos’s ability to force Madrid’s hand is limited. It is the club, ultimately, who hold sway.
500.jpg

Sergio Romero joins Manchester United from Sampdoria on three-year deal

Read more

United’s position is that they will not sell David de Gea unless they are allowed to sign Ramos. As it stands, the goalkeeper would be forced to stay at Old Trafford. Whether United will continue to stick to that stance, following the news from China and having confirmed the signing of Sergio Romero, remains to be seen.
Pérez sought to rebuild bridges, aware that his relationship with Ramos has become difficult, but more significant was his refusal to budge. He insisted that any attempt from Ramos to publicly declare his desire to leave would not make a departure more likely; it would rather just make the player’s relationship with the supporters difficult.
Ramos had previously told Madrid of his intention to leave at a meeting with Ángel Sánchez at the club’s Valdebebas training ground on 24 June and a tense telephone conversation with Pérez followed. At that point, Madrid set a fee that was prohibitively high but did not reject a move out of hand.
Neither player nor president had said anything publicly in the meantime, although Ramos’s camp did express their desire to leave Madrid for Manchester on Sky Sports and Louis Van Gaal confirmed United’s interest when he talked about transfers as being a “process”, adding: “Maybe mister Ramos is in the process.”
Madrid’s position has hardened over the last fortnight. During Iker Casillas’s send off at the Bernabéu, supporters chanted: “Ramos is not for sale” and called for the president to resign. Pérez came under huge criticism for the way in which Casillas’s departure was handled. Allowing one captain to go was damaging enough; allowing the second captain to do so would have been even more risky.
That day, Pérez said that he had allowed Casillas to leave because that had been the player’s desire. Asked if that applied to other footballers, i.e. Ramos, he replied: “there are some players with contracts who want to go who will not be allowed to.” That remained his position in China.

Well wasn't this obvious all a long, no way in **** they'll lose two big icons in one summer, I actually hope we swiftly move on and get a CB in now because it's starting to look likely we won't get one at all.

Well wasn't this obvious all a long, no way in **** they'll lose two big icons in one summer, I actually hope we swiftly move on and get a CB in now because it's starting to look likely we won't get one at all.

Well no it wasn't. Revisionism to say it was. Since when did 27th july mean looking likely?

Well no it wasn't. Revisionism to say it was. Since when did 27th july mean looking likely?

Not really, said all a long we wouldn't get Ramos, just got to hope we haven't wasted too much time putting our eggs in one basket for a CB. Also I don't think Blind is reliable enough there, he put Sergio Roberto clean through in first 10 minutes and never had a chance in **** of recovering with his pace. The surprising thing is his positioning was off in the first place but he's not really a CB so can't blame him too much. Just makeshift like Valencia is at RB.

Not really, said all a long we wouldn't get Ramos, just got to hope we haven't wasted too much time putting our eggs in one basket for a CB. Also I don't think Blind is reliable enough there, he put Sergio Roberto clean through in first 10 minutes and never had a chance in **** of recovering with his pace. The surprising thing is his positioning was off in the first place but he's not really a CB so can't blame him too much. Just makeshift like Valencia is at RB.

Yeah you say we wont get most people, including Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin,... oh wait.

Or should we not try for the best because a transfer might not happen. It's the 27th July, yep we have wasted loads of time. Never mind the fact that the club has kept tabs with Otamendi and the window is open for 5 weeks.

Back