The Manchester United Thread

Yeah you say we wont get most people, including Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin,... oh wait.

Or should we not try for the best because a transfer might not happen. It's the 27th July, yep we have wasted loads of time. Never mind the fact that the club has kept tabs with Otamendi and the window is open for 5 weeks.

I actually said was confident on Schweinsteiger but started to doubt the Schneiderlin deal longer it went on because we seemed to be reluctant to pay what Southampton wanted. But then probably came to the realisation that if you don't pay what Southampton want, you don't get the player.

LOL!!! This from footie365:

According to The Sun: 'LOUIS VAN GAAL has revealed for the first time why he had to axe Robin van Persie.'

Apparently it's because he didn't score many goals.

Brilliantly, this is described by the Daily Express as 'sports science statistics'. Mediawatch is a tad disappointed that they did not use the word 'boffins'.

If Moyes was here you just know he would of tried his best to keep a player like RVP, even though it was the right decision by LVG to let him go. IMO this is why LVG is a top manager and Moyes isn't (one of many reasons), LVG has the balls to make these decisions even when he may have a special relationship with a player like RVP.

2SZIsPw9_normal.jpg
Alice McKeegan
@amckeeganMEN Can't retweet as it's a protected account but Callum Gribbin says he has signed a four-year deal at #mufc. Liverpool were keen on him.

Is Zzeezzy Gary Neville in disguise?:

Neville praised his former club’s transfers dealings so far this summer with Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Matteo Darmian, Memphis Depay and Sergio Romero all arriving at Old Trafford.
However, the Sky Sports pundit argued United should look to cover the loss of Di Maria, who is reportedly close to securing a move to Paris Saint-Germain.
"United have done good business this summer on signings and value," he wrote on Twitter. "Have to be careful letting ADM go without an equal coming in first though."
Neville also expressed his excitement ahead of the new season with one early fixture in particular catching his eye.
"Season nearly here," he added. "Oh am I looking forward to the Villa v United Friday night game. Favourite away ground!"
The match takes place on Friday 14 August and you can watch it live on Sky Sports 1 HD with kick-off at 7.45pm.

Is Zzeezzy Gary Neville in disguise?:

Neville praised his former club’s transfers dealings so far this summer with Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Matteo Darmian, Memphis Depay and Sergio Romero all arriving at Old Trafford.
However, the Sky Sports pundit argued United should look to cover the loss of Di Maria, who is reportedly close to securing a move to Paris Saint-Germain.
"United have done good business this summer on signings and value," he wrote on Twitter. "Have to be careful letting ADM go without an equal coming in first though."
Neville also expressed his excitement ahead of the new season with one early fixture in particular catching his eye.
"Season nearly here," he added. "Oh am I looking forward to the Villa v United Friday night game. Favourite away ground!"
The match takes place on Friday 14 August and you can watch it live on Sky Sports 1 HD with kick-off at 7.45pm.

Honestly mate all I ever do is try to be realistic and say my opinions as I see them. Some people don't like negativity towards the club and will therefore not like what I have to say a lot of the time. Neville is speaking sense though and backs up what I was saying that we can't let Di Maria leave unless we are bringing in equal quality to replace him.

As LVG has said in his interview yesterday that we lack speed and the quality he can offer in the team without him so you need these types of players. Especially as Mike pointed out for Champions League, not necessarily in the Premier League as it is more about playing consistently, but in Champions League you need the players who can really make a difference at any moment as sometimes it can be the difference between winning or losing a match, especially against the better opposition.

Honestly mate all I ever do is try to be realistic and say my opinions as I see them. Some people don't like negativity towards the club and will therefore not like what I have to say a lot of the time. Neville is speaking sense though and backs up what I was saying that we can't let Di Maria leave unless we are bringing in equal quality to replace him.

As LVG has said in his interview yesterday that we lack speed and the quality he can offer in the team without him so you need these types of players. Especially as Mike pointed out for Champions League, not necessarily in the Premier League as it is more about playing consistently, but in Champions League you need the players who can really make a difference at any moment as sometimes it can be the difference between winning or losing a match, especially against the better opposition.

I don't think anyone at any point said we should not replace Di Maria though???

TBf zzeezzy, most of the time you're not being realistic, but a downright doomsayer.

It doesn't quite back up what you said. He said they have to careful, not that they cant let him go. Very different.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone at any point said we should not replace Di Maria though???

People were saying we wouldn't miss him at all which is just too extreme, ok he had a poor season by his standards but he still gave us moments of his brilliance and was our top assist maker. I think what I'm getting at is Neville makes the point of replacing him with equal quality​ if we're seriously going to be challenging for the biggest competitions. Will we? Time shall tell.

People were saying we wouldn't miss him at all which is just too extreme, ok he had a poor season by his standards but he still gave us moments of his brilliance and was our top assist maker. I think what I'm getting at is Neville makes the point of replacing him with equal quality​ if we're seriously going to be challenging for the biggest competitions. Will we? Time shall tell.

No they said we would not miss him that much, which is true, when you consider the quality that has arrived now vs last season, and another year of growing with LVG, a lot more balance and structure.

2nd half of the season he wasnt poor by his standards, he was just poor.

No they said we would not miss him that much, which is true, when you consider the quality that has arrived now vs last season, and another year of growing with LVG, a lot more balance and structure.

2nd half of the season he wasnt poor by his standards, he was just poor.

But also consider that despite how poor people say he was... he was still our highest assist maker, in a new league, adapting to new surroundings, off the field problems, language barrier, there could of been so much more to come from him. Oh well I guess it's a case of what could have been.

People did say that btw Mike, cba to go into names because it's pointless and not going to get us anywhere. Also we have made good signings, but when you look at it in terms of Di Maria, it's basically him out and Depay in. Is our options out wide going to be enough if LVG persists with this system where Depay working with Rooney up top? I'm all for giving youngsters a chance but if Mata gets injured on the right or Young on the left, we suddenly look rather thin. Pereira to me is a no.10 so it would be down to Januzaj probably to replace Mata. There is a lot of questions to be asked at the moment in terms of players filling in certain positions.

I *think* all Zzeezzy is saying is, in not so many words....that if Di Mari goes, he wants a like for like replacement. (after the fact that he didn't want him to leave)

The main problem is finding a player on his level in those positions. That's hard enough but there are pretty much none around available.

Pedro is a good player, just not quite Di Maria role. Reus for me would be a similar buy to Pedro. I'd say only De Bruyne may be similar in what Zez is after.... at a big stretch Pjanic...

How many players that can ping an assist from nowhere are there around?

Last edited:
I *think* all Zzeezzy is saying is, in not so many words....that if Di Mari goes, he wants a like for like replacement. (after the fact that he didn't want him to leave)

The main problem is finding a player on his level in those positions. That's hard enough but they pretty much none around available.

Pedro is a good player, just not quite Di Maria role. I'd say only De Bruyne may be similar in what Zez is after.... at a big stretch Pjanic...

Pretty much, that was basically what Gary Neville is getting at as well. Very few players available who can replace Di Maria's quality like you mention. We really need someone who can play out wide more than anything right now I think there is good options for us right now in midfield.

But also consider that despite how poor people say he was... he was still our highest assist maker, in a new league, adapting to new surroundings, off the field problems, language barrier, there could of been so much more to come from him. Oh well I guess it's a case of what could have been.

People did say that btw Mike, cba to go into names because it's pointless and not going to get us anywhere. Also we have made good signings, but when you look at it in terms of Di Maria, it's basically him out and Depay in. Is our options out wide going to be enough if LVG persists with this system where Depay working with Rooney up top? I'm all for giving youngsters a chance but if Mata gets injured on the right or Young on the left, we suddenly look rather thin. Pereira to me is a no.10 so it would be down to Januzaj probably to replace Mata. There is a lot of questions to be asked at the moment in terms of players filling in certain positions.

He did all that damage when he was on form in the first 11 games, 3 goals and 6 assists. Then four for the rest of the season. Then he disappeared for the rest of the season. Not only that, his chance creation output dropped off at the same time.

He wasn't poor by his standards when he was poor, he was just poor.

Again, Di Maria will go at and least one wide player will come in.

Last edited:

The main problem is finding a player on his level in those positions. That's hard enough but there are pretty much none around available.

Pedro is a good player, just not quite Di Maria role. Reus for me would be a similar buy to Pedro. I'd say only De Bruyne may be similar in what Zez is after.... at a big stretch Pjanic...

I'd be less concerned with finding a like for like replacement. In a 4-2-3-1 you play Mata through the middle with pace either side of him. In a 4-3-3, Pedro would be king.

zzezzy you realise if one of mata or young got injured he would simply move depay wide. if not start him there anyway?

I'd be less concerned with finding a like for like replacement. In a 4-2-3-1 you play Mata through the middle with pace either side of him. In a 4-3-3, Pedro would be king.

Yep I agree. Adding Pedro or Reus would improve the squad a lot. Mata I really rate, not had his greatest moments at United since he joined but I think we may see him producing much better performances this season.

But yeah, finding a like for like is what I think Zez was after. In one way I agree, you cant lose a player that good, even if he didn't have his best season he still contributed a lot.

zzezzy you realise if one of mata or young got injured he would simply move depay wide. if not start him there anyway?

I'd be starting Depay out on the left, Rooney middle and Pedro right. Mata in the middle. All of those are good goal scorers.

Yep I agree. Adding Pedro or Reus would improve the squad a lot. Mata I really rate, not had his greatest moments at United since he joined but I think we may see him producing much better performances this season.

But yeah, finding a like for like is what I think Zez was after. In one way I agree, you cant lose a player that good, even if he didn't have his best season he still contributed a lot.

I dont see the obsession for like for like. Find a player who takes the system to another level. If your system is a mix of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 I would get Pedro and try for Reus or ideally Muller. What will come, we shall see.

Back