The Manchester United Thread

express now say 60 million deal for alderweireld is a matter of 'when and not if'.please ed just pay the money and we can all move on

As we see here, a lot of the first team/spine is entering or in their peak years going into this season. Add Toby on top of that, we've got a side ready in the NOW to strongly challenge for the league, imo. Smalling as our most used & experienced CB is shocking, Toby a must needed signing. Can also see that Shaw & Dalot really need to take the guard sooner rather than later.

age.PNG

i personally think its a good idea to close the window before the season starts but what with it being a world cup year maybe it would have been better next season,especially when you consider how incompetent many big clubs are at getting their transfer business done properly

Locking the window early is a good decision, you just ****** it up by not doing your deals quick enough. I don't see Guardiola and Klopp complaining.
It's only a good decision if other leagues had agreed to do the same thing. It doesn't matter if certain clubs have not got deals done quickly when there is a chance for the other Big European Clubs can still pinch the best players for two weeks after the Premiership window closes. A better decision would have been to limit domestic transfers to pre-season and still allow international transfers to take place. I'm sure if that would have been the case none of this cluster **** would have happened.

It's only a good decision if other leagues had agreed to do the same thing. It doesn't matter if certain clubs have not got deals done quickly when there is a chance for the other Big European Clubs can still pinch the best players for two weeks after the Premiership window closes. A better decision would have been to limit domestic transfers to pre-season and still allow international transfers to take place. I'm sure if that would have been the case none of this cluster **** would have happened.

Agreed, locking out domestic transfers would have been a better option.

From the BBC-

It is looking increasingly likely Anthony Martial will remain @ManUtd beyond Thursday. Club not actively looking to sell at this stage. To late in the window, and no reasonable offers.

Also so say that Toby is defo first choice. With Maguire and Boateng as fall back options.

How is it too late in the window? Players can still be sold until the end of August, it is only incoming transfers that are limited to the 9th, and then only in the EPL - European clubs can still buy and sell through the month and players from England can be sold - they just can't join an English club.

How is it too late in the window? Players can still be sold until the end of August, it is only incoming transfers that are limited to the 9th, and then only in the EPL - European clubs can still buy and sell through the month and players from England can be sold - they just can't join an English club.
Its to late because Utd won’t have time to replace him.

My understanding (which is limited to be fair) is that the idea was that clubs were having to upset the team balance and cohesion with players joining after the season had started. So now, English clubs can't bring anyone IN once the season kicks off.

Other leagues around Europe have discussed the same thing, but with a number of them starting later anyway, there isn;t quite the same disruption.

Now, what I don't understand is when whoever it was stood up at the meeting and suggested it, did noone say "But you can sort your transfer business out before season starts if you want to" which makes the whole thing feel like EPL clubs have shot themselves in the foot somewhat.

Coupled with the fact that the transfer market is vastly different now than it was 10-15-20 years ago, deals are taking much longer to complete. Partly that is simply due to perception, information is spread wider and faster than it used to be so we hear about possible deals much earlier in the process than we used to, and we hear about MORE potential deals than we used to - the old column inches and printing deadlines don't apply today.

Given the involvement of agents now, talks start earlier, negotiations take longer because there is, simply put, more to negotiate now than there used to be. Clubs could agree the fee, talk to the player, agree wage and bonuses and sign here please.
Now, it's image rights, sponsorship, shirt numbers, which seat in the dressing room and which bathroom I get to use - oh and the half-time snack should be Blobby Granola Bars, at least three pre game and my underwear made by Marks and Spencer. I don;t honestly think there will ever be a 'quick deal' thats done and dusted within a week any more - there'll just be deals that were kept secret for longer.

This Pogba talk is very alarming, him and Martial not happy on eve of season.... Mourinho unsettled... what could go wrong.

I really hope we just ride the wave and come through this on the other side.

Last edited:
My understanding (which is limited to be fair) is that the idea was that clubs were having to upset the team balance and cohesion with players joining after the season had started. So now, English clubs can't bring anyone IN once the season kicks off.

Given the involvement of agents now, talks start earlier, negotiations take longer because there is, simply put, more to negotiate now than there used to be.

As I see it it is mostly to protect the smaller clubs. Since the big clubs often tend to snowball the transfermarket. If a top club starts bad they start panic buying. Which can result in smaller clubs not being able to replace a player, while they can't reject those insane offers either, because football clubs are businesses.

In the end you will keep the deadline madness, but atleast a club knows where it is at at the start of the first match and it should make the competition as a whole more fair.

For example a club knows it'll be fighting against relegation and has 1-2 superstars. It will keep the super stars for the first 3 matches against other relegation candidates to get a head start and then sell their player. Those points could mean relegation or not at the end of season.

Just my yearly post about Angel Gomes. That kid is going to be something if he continues like this. He simply does not lose the control of the ball. Such amazing feet.

As I see it it is mostly to protect the smaller clubs. Since the big clubs often tend to snowball the transfermarket. If a top club starts bad they start panic buying. Which can result in smaller clubs not being able to replace a player, while they can't reject those insane offers either, because football clubs are businesses.

In the end you will keep the deadline madness, but atleast a club knows where it is at at the start of the first match and it should make the competition as a whole more fair.

For example a club knows it'll be fighting against relegation and has 1-2 superstars. It will keep the super stars for the first 3 matches against other relegation candidates to get a head start and then sell their player. Those points could mean relegation or not at the end of season.

Spot on. Top club has a bad start, goes into emergency mode, looks into proven talent so best way is to take someone from PL, small clubs can't fight huge offers and have to scramble in last minute to find a replacement. Happens far too often and it's no wonder it was smaller clubs who forced that rule.

I get that, but there's still nothing to stop players being sold up till the end of August - so smaller clubs, although unable to sell to Premier League clubs, can still lose players. Now, I realise this is a 'transition' season, and other leagues may follow suit, but the end of August deadline was always a bit of a fudge to try and meet the starts of other European leagues - and was even partly the reason for Australia and NZ switching their top domestic leagues to play over summer (other factors involved I know) and the A-League sides play the FFA Cup during their close season.

Spot on. Top club has a bad start, goes into emergency mode, looks into proven talent so best way is to take someone from PL, small clubs can't fight huge offers and have to scramble in last minute to find a replacement. Happens far too often and it's no wonder it was smaller clubs who forced that rule.

Can't disagree with that at all, but the smaller clubs are still somewhat vulnerable to losing players to the end of August, and won;t be allowed to replace them under the current EPL situation.

They won't be sold to EPL clubs granted, but some of the foreign players at say Watford, Palace, Brighton etc could be taken to European Leagues.

Last edited:
Can't disagree with that at all, but the smaller clubs are still somewhat vulnerable to losing players to the end of August, and won;t be allowed to replace them under the current EPL situation.

They won't be sold to EPL clubs granted, but some of the foreign players at say Watford, Palace, Brighton etc could be taken to European Leagues.

They will have much easier time fending off approaches from foreign clubs on account that it's impossible to bring any replacements. Bean counters at the club will have to take managers seriously instead of jumping on first big offer that knocks on the door.

This Pogba talk is very alarming, him and Martial not happy on eve of season.... Mourinho unsettled... what could go wrong.

I really hope we just ride the wave and come through this on the other side.
How do we know Pogba is not happy? Looked pretty happy on the Instagram vids playing and joking with the lads in training.

La Sexta, Joao Felix, Gerard Romero, Cope, Cedana Sar all tier 1/2 saying there has been no offer from Barca for Pogba. Just another case of Riola using his Italian buddies to get Pogba parity with Sanchez money.

Last edited:
Headline quotes from the Spanish sports pages this morning:

"Pogba won't sign for Barca."
"United have vetoed the sale."
"Barca haven't even had the option of making an offer."
"The English club consider Pogba intransferible."
"Mourinho has flatly refused to negotiate any option of a transfer."
"According to Barca sources 'there is a 0.01% chance.'"

How do we know Pogba is not happy? Looked pretty happy on the Instagram vids playing and joking with the lads in training.

La Sexta, Joao Felix, Gerard Romero, Cope, Cedana Sar all tier 1/2 saying there has been no offer from Barca for Pogba. Just another case of Riola using his Italian buddies to get Pogba parity with Sanchez money.

Been reported since last season he doesn't really get on with Mourinho and I don't really take into account what they do on social media. Pogba was dancing and singing before he joined us from Turin, saying how good life at Juventus was.

But anyway, he's not leaving, lets move on and see whether we sign anyone before the transfer window closes.

Headline quotes from the Spanish sports pages this morning:

"Pogba won't sign for Barca."
"United have vetoed the sale."
"Barca haven't even had the option of making an offer."
"The English club consider Pogba intransferible."
"Mourinho has flatly refused to negotiate any option of a transfer."
"According to Barca sources 'there is a 0.01% chance.'"

So basically the media are full of ****, unless if they're saying Pogba stays, in which case it's 100% truth.

Back