The Manchester United Thread

How is Souness still in a job? Given a platform to attack Pogba at every given opportunity, even when coming off the back of being a key player in a World Cup victory and enjoying a great start to the season. It's getting boring now, obviously has it in for the lad for no legit reason, coming across as borderline discrimination if you ask me. Too old-fashioned and narrow minded to see a dancing black guy who loves and breathes football with a smile on his face, be better than he ever was? Wants everyone to be a shy, introverted Kante? An aggressor like Keane/Viera? Get with the times Grandad.

Mourinho needs to put him in his place like with Zlatan/Michael Owen. As much as you can disagree with Neville & Carragher's analysis/criticism now and again, at least they're non-biased, genuine opinions, in which you can see where they're making a case from. With Souness, Pogba could score a hat-trick in a Champions League final and he'd say "he still didn't show enough desire, and he should have had 5".

Just saw this now and nothing against your opinion wether Souness is making this personal about Pogba. But just wanted to point out that Pogba would trip over trying to lace Souness's boots. Souness will go down as one of the greatest midfielders to ever play the game and was arguably better than Gerrard and that says alot. Souness is still a ***** though.

Just saw this now and nothing against your opinion wether Souness is making this personal about Pogba. But just wanted to point out that Pogba would trip over trying to lace Souness's boots. Souness will go down as one of the greatest midfielders to ever play the game and was arguably better than Gerrard and that says alot. Souness is still a ***** though.

I didn't mean it literally. I know he was a good player in his day, and I can't even stand by any comparison as I've never seen him live, I just used some hyperbole at the time to help express my annoyance.

Mind you, I do have a lot of older LFC friends & family who say Gerrard's undoubtedly the best CM your club has produced, and that football has came on planets in terms of levels of quality/players these days. Heck, CM's could do a 180 turn and knock it back to their keeper back then:

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/962663876461555712

I didn't mean it literally. I know he was a good player in his day, and I can't even stand by any comparison as I've never seen him live, I just used some hyperbole at the time to help express my annoyance.

Mind you, I do have a lot of older LFC friends & family who say Gerrard's undoubtedly the best CM your club has produced, and that football has came on planets in terms of levels of quality/players these days. Heck, CM's could do a 180 turn and knock it back to their keeper back then:

https://twitter.com/utdxtra/status/962663876461555712
Its hard to compare different era's as like you said football has changed what with the backpass rule and fitness etc. Gerrard is with Fowler the best we produced but taking of the rose tinted glasses Gerrard never reached his full potential and should have been alot better than he was and thats saying something. Scouse will probably be better placed to answer this question as I bet he probably saw Billy Liddlle play :P

[FONT=&quot]I’m really surprised anyone older would even suggest that Rh. REALLY surprised given the absolute reverence he’s held in
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He’s well arguably one of the 5 finest central midfielders to ever play in a Eurooean Cup final. He was honestly THAT good. Not just as an all round player who had it all but as a leader of men. I never saw Hughes play but Emlyn aside, we’ve NEVER. had a better captain than Souness. 1984, the first treble winning season, is almost solely down to him. You’d look at the stats and say ‘Behave lad. Rushie got 47 goals that year. He was next highest with 12!’ But in reality the amount of games he pulled that side together in and won through sheer will alone was ridiculous. Kenny breaks his collarbone, along with starting to become a lot less prolific as the main goalscorer, and there were a lot of games the clear best side in Europe at the time looked distinctly average in. But the captain grabbed everyone by the scruff of the neck and pulled them through in so many games that were dogged out. And the more hostile the environment, the better he became! None better exemplified by the semi final and final in Europe that season. The semi first leg at Anfield against Dinamo Bucharest, this Romanian hard man rakes his studs down the back of Kenny’s calf. Puts the star man out early. Job done. Except Souness didn’t forget ..... not long after, the same fella is in a heap as Souness gets blindside of both ref and lino and breaks his jaw in 12 places! You get one of ours, be **** sure the Captain will get one of yours! Which then lead to hostility the second leg that makes places like Istanbul look postively welcoming. ALL directed toward Souness from the minute L’pool landed. Lesser men would have naturally wilted but he relished it. Came off the pitch black and blue from some horrendous assaults. Spat at and had all sorts thrown at him every time he was anywhere near the crowd. But utterly dominant in leading the club to his third Eurooean Cup Final. To then go top that and lead them to what I personally believe is the greatest ever Eurioean Cup victory in the competitons history. Against Roma. In their own back yard in one of the most hostile, intimidating atmispheres you could imagine. Heysel starts that night with the viscous assaults on many Reds but thats another story. Souness dominated some great, old school Italians and WC Brazilians of the time like Falcao to take his side into the Lions den and emerge victorious with the biggest prize of all.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Not only the single hardest player I’ve ever seen live and the best captain, but I’m hard pressed to think of any central midfielder that compares. This was an era when midfielders did it all both ends the park and he was as complete as they come. Who could play the game anyway you wanted it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Most of our Da’s will tell you hes Liverpool’s greatest ever player. Just like most Utd Da’s will tell you there’s never been a midfielder/ captain like Bryan Robson. (The best in that position I’ve evee seen from Utd personally. Another superb all rounder who was tough as nails. And like Souness could take it as well as give it.).
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gerrard and Pogba are two modern day greats. And I’m sure they'd have adapted to the ‘70’s/ ‘80’s game like the likes of Souness and Robson would have todays.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But pound for pound, both as conplete, all round WC central midfielders who did it all and were supreme leaders, I’d take Robson and Souness over Gerrard and Pogba all day, every day.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And thats no slight on todays lads whi are two of the Worlds best. Just testiment to everything the other two had and more. [/FONT]

My early bet at the start of the year is looking better every game. Despite the rumour of it costing 25mil to get rid of Mou.

Zidane to have the job by xmas, and liverpool to score 5 or more in 5epl games. 50/1

Marotta has left Juventus. If the United board had any sense they would go for a Zidane/Marotta double whammy

Marotta has left Juventus. If the United board had any sense they would go for a Zidane/Marotta double whammy

I think we've already established that they don't have any sense at all, which is the whole problem.

When they've abanonded the tradition of giving manager time and plenty of leeway, that was fair enough. The old way wasn't really suited to the XXI century and club that is mainly a business that needs to be wary of stockholders.

But then you need to complete the transition and run the footballing side like it's a business, by building a structure that sits above the manager and ensures the ships keeps steady and on the right track even if manager gets sacked.

Instead, they just find the biggest celebrity manager who is currently available, give him a warchest and expect instant results.

Utd woman drew 0-0. Dominated the game. Missed a penalty hit the bar and post numerous times. And the GK was MOTM.

What’s your opinions on Fonseca at Shaktar Mike. Really like there style of play. Very much in the mould of Poch, Klopp etc. High press very quick in transition scoring for fun. Seems to do well with players and very good with the press when I’ve seen him.

What’s your opinions on Fonseca at Shaktar Mike. Really like there style of play. Very much in the mould of Poch, Klopp etc. High press very quick in transition scoring for fun. Seems to do well with players and very good with the press when I’ve seen him.
The players would love him. Pogba would probably think he's too good for him, so fine, **** him off for someone like Dybala and play a pressing 4-2-3-1

The players would love him. Pogba would probably think he's too good for him, so fine, **** him off for someone like Dybala and play a pressing 4-2-3-1
Yeah agree RE Pogba. Most probably not name enough manager. He’s doing a great job at Shaktar. He’s transformed the way they played. Most probably not fashionable enough for Ed/Board :(

Is this the part re: pogba, where I say... "Told you so!!!".

Is this the part re: pogba, where I say... "Told you so!!!".

No, because the situation could have been handled so much better by Mourinho. Notice how allegri had no such problems.

Tbh if it ever happened, I don't even know what I'd make of Zidane as an appointment. Lets all be honest here, this next appointment has to be spot on and we can't get it wrong again.

I mean.... Zidane's achievements were great at Madrid..... particularly in Europe...... but his league success wasn't that great. Mourinho had plenty of success at Madrid, league wise anyway and set a record of most points/goals scored when he was there.

I just really don't know what to make of Zidane, he's undoubtedly a great man manager but I'm just not convinced he is the right replacement.

Tbh if it ever happened, I don't even know what I'd make of Zidane as an appointment. Lets all be honest here, this next appointment has to be spot on and we can't get it wrong again.

I mean.... Zidane's achievements were great at Madrid..... particularly in Europe...... but his league success wasn't that great. Mourinho had plenty of success at Madrid, league wise anyway and set a record of most points/goals scored when he was there.

I just really don't know what to make of Zidane, he's undoubtedly a great man manager but I'm just not convinced he is the right replacement.

Anyone who gets United playing on the front foot, and doesn't fight with someone each week is a start. United have loads of talent. What they need right now is really good man management. And we've got very too coaches around him, who can have a greater tactical input

Back