The Manchester United Thread

Intercontinental cup semi final team vs Arsenal

#MUWomen team to play Arsenal (kick-off 19:30 GMT): Chamberlain, Harris, A. Turner, M. Turner, Smith, Greenwood (c), Zelem, Green, James, Galton, Sigsworth

Subs: Ramsey, Roberts, Palmer, Devlin, Toone, Arnot, Hanson

1-0 Arsenal. Completely against the run of play.

Finished 2-1 Arsenal. Really great effort by our ladies. Arsenal clearly had that little extra quality. Denied definitely 1 peno debatable second looked like the defenders arm defo moved towards the ball. Like I said good achievement getting to a semi beating 3 teams in the league about to get there. Then losing to one of the faves for the comp and the league above, is nothing to be ashamed off.

Last edited:
That's Smalling AND Jones secured to recent new contracts? Hopefully it's just guaranteeing that we get a nice sale price? Or in Jones situation, a fee at all (given he was expiring in a few months). I want one of them gone along with Rojo, that should cover at least half the fee for a top bracket CB to boot with Lindelof/Bailly/Jones Or Smalling/Tuanzebe. 5 CB's is plenty.

That's Smalling AND Jones secured to recent new contracts? Hopefully it's just guaranteeing that we get a nice sale price? Or in Jones situation, a fee at all (given he was expiring in a few months). I want one of them gone along with Rojo, that should cover at least half the fee for a top bracket CB to boot with Lindelof/Bailly/Jones Or Smalling/Tuanzebe. 5 CB's is plenty.

******* ****, Phil Calamity Jones signed up to a new contract what a ****** joke we have become. I'm sorry, but what on earth does that set as standards if we're giving long-term contracts to players like him. He should of been one of the first out the door, this is why we'll never get to where we want to be. Our board is clueless and we keep recycling players like this who are just not good enough.

Ole's comments worry me, he thinks that he represents what united is about and knows how what it takes to get back to the top.... da ****. Sorry but this is a terrible move by us no matter which way we look at it. It's Phil ****** Jones, how many goals has he cost us every season when he does even play.

Why are we giving all our average at best deadwood players new contracts then next season we'll be in the same mess again..... over bloated squad ffs.

Meh not gonna go Zz about it :) he’s not gonna be a starter he fills home grown quota and his reported wages are low so meh! Looks like next season will be (new CB) Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, Jones and a loan for Tuanzebe. Good CB options available imo. Or it could be we want to get a fee for him. Don’t think it’s that or we wouldn’t of offered him basically a 5 yr deal. Honestly think Ole has been offered the job FT already imo. And he’s having a huge say in the contract negotiations/renewals. If that’s the case least the club is genuinely planning for a change and that’s the biggest plus for me.

Meh not gonna go Zz about it :) he’s not gonna be a starter he fills home grown quota and his reported wages are low so meh! Looks like next season will be (new CB) Lindelof, Bailly, Smalling, Jones and a loan for Tuanzebe. Good CB options available imo. Or it could be we want to get a fee for him. Don’t think it’s that or we wouldn’t of offered him basically a 5 yr deal. Honestly think Ole has been offered the job FT already imo. And he’s having a huge say in the contract negotiations/renewals. If that’s the case least the club is genuinely planning for a change and that’s the biggest plus for me.

If that's true then we're even more stupid than I thought, why would we even give ole the job now when his biggest challenge is this month coming up. Come on though, Ole talks the right game and supposedly has this great vision but if it's keeping players like Jones for 5 more years then where are we really going. The answer is nowhere, he should of been the first out the door every time he plays he looks error prone and he's also injury-prone. Then in the same press conference he says how Valencia would be playing tomorrow if it wasn't for an injury reoccurrence, I like Ole but going off some of this comments I think he's too much of a pushover to make it here. This club needs change, I'm not convinced he has the bottle to say what's required to get us back to where we should be.

I hate the excuse of needing him for home-grown quota because it's rubbish as we have more than enough and having him for depth is also bad excuse because every season he ends up playing games when that's supposedly the case.

No one knows what's going to happen at the end of the season so stop ******* moaning. It's dull

Ole was always going to have input whether he stays or not. There's absolutely no guarantee he is getting the job so TOD is jumping the gun

This is our best form all season and you're still crying. You literally deserve nothing. Just enjoy the ride.

No one knows what's going to happen at the end of the season so stop ******* moaning. It's dull

Ole was always going to have input whether he stays or not. There's absolutely no guarantee he is getting the job so TOD is jumping the gun

This is our best form all season and you're still crying. You literally deserve nothing. Just enjoy the ride.

Mike it's about what we're doing now off the pitch that is going to shape us for next season and the future to come, even Neville said that right from Mourinho was sacked. Nothing will improve until we start being better run on the footballing side of things and so far we have had a mixture of good and bad.

I think people need to remember we're not where we should be, even now and I fully appreciate that it will take time. However these types of decisions giving Phil Jones long-term contracts what hope do we have really.

Mike it's about what we're doing now off the pitch that is going to shape us for next season and the future to come, even Neville said that right from Mourinho was sacked. Nothing will improve until we start being better run on the footballing side of things and so far we have had a mixture of good and bad.

I think people need to remember we're not where we should be, even now and I fully appreciate that it will take time. However these types of decisions giving Phil Jones long-term contracts what hope do we have really.

No one knows what signings are going to be made in the summer. So stop moaning.

One contract doesnt mean the world is ending you utter buffoon

This article has never been more apt about over reacting football fans: https://www.football365.com/news/the-2018-19-premier-league-title-race-expose-the-fraud

It's not true in this case one bit though because Jones has been here for 6 seasons and is no further to being a united standard CB than when he arrived arguably. Yet we've just given him a long-term contract despite his same errors every season.

I didn't like Mourinho at all but no one can deny that he wanted a CB and the board wouldn't give him it due to the amount of players we already have in that position. Now I have to wonder whether that was just an excuse by our board because they clearly are not considering the performances of players but rather losing them on a free. but one does have to wonder if they will say that to the next manager as well, we can't buy another Centre back because we keep giving players in that position new contracts so we can't shift them on.

It's not true in this case one bit though because Jones has been here for 6 seasons and is no further to being a united standard CB than when he arrived arguably. Yet we've just given him a long-term contract despite his same errors every season.

I didn't like Mourinho at all but no one can deny that he wanted a CB and the board wouldn't give him it due to the amount of players we already have in that position. Now I have to wonder whether that was just an excuse by our board because they clearly are not considering the performances of players but rather losing them on a free. but one does have to wonder if they will say that to the next manager as well, we can't buy another Centre back because we keep giving players in that position new contracts so we can't shift them on.

Stop wondering. Because you know nothing, have nothing to go on, and will know nothing for some time.

Solskjaer on Jones' new deal
Here’s what Solskjaer has said about Jones’ new deal :

“Phil knows what it takes to be a Manchester United player, he has won the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League and is now one of the senior players within the team.

“He is coming up to his 27th birthday and entering into his prime years as a centre half. We are delighted Phil has committed his future to the club.”

Solskjaer gives Antonio Valencia update
He has explained why he’s not been playing:

Well hopefully he’ll recover because he’s been training hard really hard then he got a setback so hopefully in a couple of weeks he’ll be back with us. He's been a fantastic servant at the club, he’s captain for a reason hopefully we can get him back on the pitch but it was hard when he broke down, he would’ve travelled now this weekend.

Title challenge next season
Matic feels this side can challenge for the title next season, do you think you’re bringing the belief back in to this squad?

I hope so, that they believe they can do that because you cannot outperform your ego, that’s one of them mantles you have to trust. But you’ve got to believe in yourself, if you want to be a champion and win it’s how you prepare for every single game, how we demand, that we focus on every single day in training every single game, it’s about Fulham, one game at a time but every single day prepare as best you can and I love to hear players, but that also means a decision.

Top four
Chance to move in to the top four, how big a statement is that about what you want to achieve?

Of course you take one step at a time and that’s one of the goals we’ve set and if we do so we want to stay there and improve on that. It’s been fantastic the last two months so consistency now is the key word. We keep on improving, keep on winning games, but in a better way than say the Leicester one, we held on, it was good enough but we shouldn’t just be happy with just good enough, we want to improve in games like this. Fulham is a character revealer, it reveals do we have the focus on what’s important which is always the next game and can we forget about PSG. The focus around the PSG game for a long time, Chelsea, Liverpool, but they’re not the games that will move us up the table, they’re the other games.

On his team
Part of a team you have set up, how does the dynamic work, Michael in the technical area a lot, who has the different roles and what are they?

We are different ages, we are different in what we’re good at, we complement each other really well, Kieran and Michael, the energy and hours they spend planning the sessions, working with individuals. Demps has come in later on but he’s fitting into this team, Eamilio has worked with David (De Gea) so many years, we’re a good group, we bounce off each other and opinions are being thrown about and I’m the unlucky one on who to leave out or who to play, I choose them to give the chance to leave players out but we complement each other well. Kieran and Michael remind me of me when I was younger and listening to Mike and Demps for their views because they’ve got a bit more experience.
cleardot.gif

On putting his stamp on the team
In terms of new contract, Fellaini going out, are you putting your stamp on it, does it feel more yours than it did six weeks ago?

Well, every day I feel that I do help the club put my stamp on it, yes, but decisions sometimes of players’ futures are not down to me. Either it’s the players, do they want to stay, move on but we have a vision and pic of how we wanna look in a few years and we have to think long term and also short term and I’ve got a picture of what this Manchester United team should look in a couple of years but I put my views to Ed and the club.

On visions
Has the vision changed since you arrived?

Not really, because I’ve supported and followed Manchester United for many many years and I did have a clear view on what I thought my opinion would be, you get a different view on players but we’re not too far away from when I came.

Team news
Confirmation of team news:

Rojo has been training for a few days, so he’s back with us. But we’ve lost Antonio and Matteo through niggles for a couple of weeks. We’re still not bad. We’ve got 20-21 players training every day, so that’s good.

On contracts
Jones signs a new contract, follows Martial, why is it important to get these things sorted right now?

It’s a signal for the players we believe in them, for the supporters that we plan ahead and Phil has been there for so long, he’s won the Premier League, trophies, he knows what it takes, he’s been here so long so he knows what it takes for us to move up the table.

From the uncut part of presser:

Honesty from OGS about how long it will take for @ManUtd to compete: “Two years’ time is long enough, but also short enough, to say that we’ve got the possibility to make a big difference in our preparation, in everything.”

When asked how many players the club would need to sign to challenge for the title, Solskjaer said: "It is about who we've got here as well.

"If every single player can improve by 1-2% it is not about X amount of players.

"It's not just buy a superstar and that will fix things and suddenly we go from challenging to be among the top four to being champions."

The former striker added that he hoped United, who face Fulham at 12:30 GMT on Saturday, will be ready to contend for the title next year.

"I came in from Molde, they were 10th in 2010, and in 2011 we won the league, so you can never say never," he said.

Good luck this dinner-time. Sincerely. A Utd win would be just the ticket. Should be comfortable too you’d think. Fulham are gone with Town. Sadly like as thats my favourite away the whole league.

Conversly, I hope yer18s get leathered this morning haha.

Good luck this dinner-time. Sincerely. A Utd win would be just the ticket. Should be comfortable too you’d think. Fulham are gone with Town. Sadly like as thats my favourite away the whole league.

Conversly, I hope yer18s get leathered this morning haha.
Should be a cracker. Glad LFC tv are showing it.

Back