The Manchester United Thread

Why can't you give Herrera a 3 year contract? He is only turning 30 in August. Smalling got it..... that's just double standards then by the board?
Aaah but Smalling is English, Herrera isn't ;)

Using Smalling and Jones as a way to vent anger at the club about Herrera is the most stupid thing ever honestly!!

Using Smalling and Jones as a way to vent anger at the club about Herrera is the most stupid thing ever honestly!!

Not really, there is a big issue at our club with contracts and this is evidence as much as anything else. De Gea has 12 months left, Mata contract is expiring, Herrera contract expiring; But we'll give Jones & Smalling & Young contracts because they are English or easy to please? I genuinely don't know what the reason is as none of them should be here any longer.

How long do we have to keep seeing contracts run down and then baulking at wage demands because another club can come in and offer what they want. Herrera isn't irreplaceable but at this moment in time I can think of 10 players that should be gone before him. No he's not worth the wages he now wants, but that's what happens when you play your cards late and allow another club like PSG to come in get a player on a free.

This job is big enough for Ole without losing one of his key players, which lets face it Herrera was up until this. But anyway that's neither here nor there now, point is that we put ourselves in the position to make contracts harder than they need to be. Players can ask for excessive demands when you come late to the table or just dilly dally about.

Not really, there is a big issue at our club with contracts and this is evidence as much as anything else. De Gea has 12 months left, Mata contract is expiring, Herrera contract expiring; But we'll give Jones & Smalling & Young contracts because they are English or easy to please? I genuinely don't know what the reason is as none of them should be here any longer.

How long do we have to keep seeing contracts run down and then baulking at wage demands because another club can come in and offer what they want. Herrera isn't irreplaceable but at this moment in time I can think of 10 players that should be gone before him. No he's not worth the wages he now wants, but that's what happens when you play your cards late and allow another club like PSG to come in get a player on a free.

This job is big enough for Ole without losing one of his key players, which lets face it Herrera was up until this. But anyway that's neither here nor there now, point is that we put ourselves in the position to make contracts harder than they need to be. Players can ask for excessive demands when you come late to the table or just dilly dally about.
WTF has Herrera leaving got to do with Smalling, Jones, Young, Shaw aswell I’ve seen today getting huge abuse also ever since Herrera released that vid. And it’s got **** all to do with them being English. Honestly it’s embarrassing what I’ve been seein today aimed at that lot!

Yes the contract situation has been a joke. But the absolute stick those four have got for no obvious reason except for fans not liking them as much as Herrera is mind boggling. They don’t even play in the same fecking position! What did they expect for us to lose Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, Shaw, Jones, Smalling in one window. And give all there wages to keep Herrera.

Fecking pathetic is what it is!

Whatever way it's spun, a contract should've been tied up long before this miss. If not for anything more than avoiding losing a 40-50M player for nothing.

Top class little player & servant, he'll be missed.

Im with Z on this. Ive said all season long as soon as you take Herrera out of that midfield 3 it all goes to ****. And it did. He was massively important. He's only 29 so if he wanted a 3 year contract he should have got it. His heart and passion on the pitch has never come into question. He always gave 100%. That alone was worth the contract given half the team cant be arsed even running at the moment. What he would have passed on to the young lads coming through would have been priceless this season and for possibly the next 3 years. Players like Herrera and Mata are vital going forward even just for the youngsters to be around and set the right example.

Given the way the market is going, we now need to find a player to replace him that will cost and possibly pay them more than he was anyway. Thats without having to put up with the settling in period of a new player. We have enough to replace as it is without letting him walk. Absolutely shocking decision again because of Woodward ******* about.

Also the argument of Smalling, Jones and Young getting new contracts and Herrera and Mata being allowed to run down is perfectly valid. Jones hasnt been good enough for years. Thats when you can actually get a game out of him instead of at the doctors. Smalling I'd keep for backup but when looking at the squad we at least had some kind of possible replacements with Tuanzebe and TFM. Young is worth keeping purely for versatility, but again there was replacements ready to step up in whichever position he would have been used for the odd game. Who replaces Herrera? A player that has played 30+ games this season and been our rock in midfield? None of the younger players are ready to step up to that level yet. They need to be eased in. Which Herrera would have helped with.

The sooner we get a DoF in and **** Woodward off from the footballing side the better. The club is on its ****.

Im with Z on this. Ive said all season long as soon as you take Herrera out of that midfield 3 it all goes to ****. And it did. He was massively important. He's only 29 so if he wanted a 3 year contract he should have got it. His heart and passion on the pitch has never come into question. He always gave 100%. That alone was worth the contract given half the team cant be arsed even running at the moment. What he would have passed on to the young lads coming through would have been priceless this season and for possibly the next 3 years. Players like Herrera and Mata are vital going forward even just for the youngsters to be around and set the right example.

Given the way the market is going, we now need to find a player to replace him that will cost and possibly pay them more than he was anyway. Thats without having to put up with the settling in period of a new player. We have enough to replace as it is without letting him walk. Absolutely shocking decision again because of Woodward ******* about.

Also the argument of Smalling, Jones and Young getting new contracts and Herrera and Mata being allowed to run down is perfectly valid. Jones hasnt been good enough for years. Thats when you can actually get a game out of him instead of at the doctors. Smalling I'd keep for backup but when looking at the squad we at least had some kind of possible replacements with Tuanzebe and TFM. Young is worth keeping purely for versatility, but again there was replacements ready to step up in whichever position he would have been used for the odd game. Who replaces Herrera? A player that has played 30+ games this season and been our rock in midfield? None of the younger players are ready to step up to that level yet. They need to be eased in. Which Herrera would have helped with.

The sooner we get a DoF in and **** Woodward off from the footballing side the better. The club is on its ****.
Its not Valid at all tbh. Rojo has been for sale since last season same for Darmian both will be gone this Summer. Valencia decided he wanted to leave. Young, Shaw, Jones, Smallings contracts were all running out (joke!) we had to renew contracts and the ones we did won’t be starters. Literally nothing to do with Herrera situation. And don’t deserve the slating there getting because he’s leaving!

Last edited:
Its not Valid at all tbh. Rojo has been for sale since last season same for Darmian both will be gone this Summer. Valencia decided he wanted to leave. Young, Shaw, Jones, Smallings contracts were all running out (joke!) we had to renew contracts and the ones we did won’t be starters. Literally nothing to do with Herrera situation. And don’t deserve the slating there getting because he’s leaving!

As I said, Jones and Smalling had potential replacements from within with TFM and Tuanzebe. So not much of a big hit in the grand scheme of things. Who is capable of stepping up from within to replace Herrera who was our driving force in midfield? Nobody. We have enough to replace with the players you have mentioned without letting our best most consistent midfielder leave for **** all.

Also I said I can understand Smalling and Young being given extensions, but Jones is just inexcusable. Again considering we had at least Tuanzebe to step up and take his place as a squad player. The money saved between Jones and Tuanzebe's contracts would have been more than enough to compensate Herrera's increase.

As I said, Jones and Smalling had potential replacements from within with TFM and Tuanzebe. So not much of a big hit in the grand scheme of things. Who is capable of stepping up from within to replace Herrera who was our driving force in midfield? Nobody. We have enough to replace with the players you have mentioned without letting our best most consistent midfielder leave for **** all.

Also I said I can understand Smalling and Young being given extensions, but Jones is just inexcusable. Again considering we had at least Tuanzebe to step up and take his place as a squad player. The money saved between Jones and Tuanzebe's contracts would have been more than enough to compensate Herrera's increase.
Tuanzebe wasn’t ready to replace either
Of those two it’s only now Tuanzebe has really come on this season for Villa before that not as good as the two you mentioned by a long way. TFM isn’t even a defender tbh. We have a lot more CMs than defenders tbh. Blame the other managers for not replacing them with better players. We literally had no choice to renew as Ole was potentially facing the stupid situation in a case which nearly all his defenders could be gone. You simply can’t replace Young, Valencia, Smalling, Shaw, Jones, Darmian in one window.

This is what it feels like our team could be after this summer window. XD :'(

OUT: Pogba, Lukaku, De Gea, Alexis, Herrera, Mata, Valencia, Darmian.

IN: Daniel James from Swansea. (H)

attachment.php

Personally I can understand the club giving Young, Smalling and Shaw new contracts, Young because he is versitile (however limited), Smalling can do a job maybe not as a first team player but definately as a squad player. Shaw is improving after finally getting a decent season behind him. As for the others we all know Valencia wants to go and it is clear from the appearances he has made this season he is on the decline, Darmian promised so much but hasn't adapted to English football, Rojo needs a new start post his injury problems, which leaves us with Jones the one player who IMHO should not have got a contract renewal, he is an injury waiting to happen and just doesn't have the quality to improve. Hopefully the club can bring in a solid CB who can boss the defence and help Lindelof improve.

As for the situation with Herrera I'm sure it was more a case of too little too late on the club's behalf, it is clear that he would have stayed if a decent offer had been made earlier but unfortunately it seems to have taken the PSG interest to even have the process kick started, Herrera strikes me as a player who gives everything and stands by his word unlike some other players who effectively stop trying if they don't get their own way.

Ole confirms in his embargoed presser that he will be using the cups next season to give squad and youth players more of a chance while still trying to win the trophies. But will largely be concentrating on the league and EL.

Also says each player has been given a new individual training programs. And they need to be ready for the first day of training and not need to much time to get into pre season. Said players who don’t come back ready have been warned they won’t go on tour. We need to hit pre season and next season running.

Said he’s talked about some of the youth players in the past to today’s youth we have here. And said don’t come back like those who have failed to pre season because you won’t make it here and end up like them. Talking about Januzai, Mecheda, Morrison etc.

Last edited:
Why are you guys even reacting around it? That's practically the same team we have right now, minus a few players too. Calm down, and let the window happen.

Yeah, moaning about the other contracts is silly . As they all largely makes sense. Herrera is the major misstep, if they can't replace him. Not a misstep if they can.

Back