The Manchester United Thread

Still matters that Juve is not the lifetime destination for him. He will most likely look for another move around 3-4 years down the line, once his period at Turin has passed. And he will have domestic silverware, be much better tactically and have played a lot, while still looking to compete in Europe every season, reaching into the later stages quite easily. Remember, Juve are much more competitive than PSG, atleast have better mentality.

While I agree that Barca were his best option for development, he would probably have earned a quarter of his Juve salary. The way he is probably looking at it, learn from the best in the business, play with the best in the business and then go to Barca/elsewhere as a WC player, getting a salary increase on his current wages.

His worst move would have been PSG, Juve I feel are a suitable middle-ground between competitiveness and pay package. Plus, Italy is not the schoolboy league (with the schoolboy stadiums) that France is. What I'm still puzzled at is how Juve can afford that salary. On top of Ronaldo's salary.
Juventus was probably the best move for him developmental wise as right now he is an excellent ball playing CB but he is a bit iffy defensively ( who isnt at 19) so he can improve the defensive side of his game. A move to Barca or PSG would not have suited him especially the latter were the league games mean F all. Would youd guys have suited him developmental wise i'm not sure either coming into a frail back four were he would be expected to lead and were every mistake is amplified due to the nature of the Premier League. He's made the right choice going to Juve imo.

Rumours that DDG will get 350k a year. That's a much more reasonable top wage. And certainly far cheaper than replacing him with Oblak, who would cost 100m and demand DDGs current wage (200k) at a conservative minimum.

TBH if I was was him, i'd say **** the wage rise, give me more than one competent first team defender and midfield that doesn't **** itself when it loses the ball and ill sign anything you want

We need to hurry this up, Ole will be back with the players a week tomorrow..... he did openly say he wanted his business done by the time pre-season was getting underway. I think he'll be forfeiting that and it will be rather a different story again.

Still need a CB, RB, RW (could count James... but shouldn't be our go to guy this season for that position), CM x 2.... we haven't replaced Herrera.

That's without even considering departures, I expected more than just Valencia and Herrera (the latter whom shouldn't really of left anyway).

I don't know why but we just seem too slow with deals, taking too much time with this AWB... Palace had their price weeks if not months ago. It's almost like we work on one deal at a time tbh the way we go about things.

-----

P.S. this is not a negative post, we just need to get a move on. This squad as it stands will struggle with top 4.

We need to hurry this up, Ole will be back with the players a week tomorrow..... he did openly say he wanted his business done by the time pre-season was getting underway. I think he'll be forfeiting that and it will be rather a different story again.

Still need a CB, RB, RW (could count James... but shouldn't be our go to guy this season for that position), CM x 2.... we haven't replaced Herrera.

That's without even considering departures, I expected more than just Valencia and Herrera (the latter whom shouldn't really of left anyway).

I don't know why but we just seem too slow with deals, taking too much time with this AWB... Palace had their price weeks if not months ago. It's almost like we work on one deal at a time tbh the way we go about things.

-----

P.S. this is not a negative post, we just need to get a move on. This squad as it stands will struggle with top 4.
No arguments here. Even I don't understand the one deal focus, honestly. We should have wrapped up these deals by now. Honestly, the only reason I can imagine for this delay is extreme haggling. You only do that when you have a very limited transfer budget, where even a couple of millions help. Regarding recent reports of United's 100 Mn budget too, can't help but wonder.

We need to get AwB wrapped up quickly, and try and get in Bruno Fernandes at the earliest too. CB, I don't know of who we might target, which is depressing if Smalling and Lindelof are starting again. I still like Ruben Dias, but no concrete links with him and our one deal at a time means that could be a major problem.

No arguments here. Even I don't understand the one deal focus, honestly. We should have wrapped up these deals by now. Honestly, the only reason I can imagine for this delay is extreme haggling. You only do that when you have a very limited transfer budget, where even a couple of millions help. Regarding recent reports of United's 100 Mn budget too, can't help but wonder.

We need to get AwB wrapped up quickly, and try and get in Bruno Fernandes at the earliest too. CB, I don't know of who we might target, which is depressing if Smalling and Lindelof are starting again. I still like Ruben Dias, but no concrete links with him and our one deal at a time means that could be a major problem.

It's just all a bit odd.... we're not learning from our mistakes in the transfer market seemingly, going to run out of time once again and have a squad that is a mix of players the manager wants and doesn't want. Which is recipe for disaster really, like last season under Mourinho all over again but obviously Solskjaer won't moan about it I imagine.

This non-existent Director of football is needed more than ever.... the fact we don't realise it is really worrying. I think Woodward does realise it, he just doesn't want one where it will have any bearing on his power. Sad really.

Maybe we will see things pick up.... but not going to hold my breath.

Chill guys chill. You really should not believe all that guff about managers wanting buisness done by a certain time. It simply doesn’t happen. Far to many factors in play both clubs, player, agent, families all involved in deals. Plus players have/still are away playing in competitions. Just chill out and wait for the season to start enjoy the summer ;) stop believing the 100m budget bollocks also :))))

Chill guys chill. You really should not believe all that guff about managers wanting buisness done by a certain time. It simply doesn’t happen. Far to many factors in play both clubs, player, agent, families all involved in deals. Plus players have/still are away playing in competitions. Just chill out and wait for the season to start enjoy the summer ;) stop believing the 100m budget bollocks also :))))
Oh, I'm not that worried about it happening before pre-season, although that would be ideal. It's literally that we are taking a bit too long to close deals, which shouldn't be the case. The 100Mn budget, I'm a bit worried about, but most publications also state that we have approached for a deal for Ndombele for 80 Mn, which would hardly be the case with a low budget.

Still, the time taken, and the deals seemingly taking so long to complete one after another is a bit worrying.

As for DoF zZ, I honestly don't know what they are playing at. Ideally, we need one, but we also have to accept the fact that they never will be independent of Woodward. Apparently, they are trying to look to form a committee like Liverpool, however, if executed badly, then sets us worse off. Guess that is a long waiting game to see what happens.

Also, I don't think our season will be as disastrous as last time. We were playing excellently under Solskjaer, until fitness levels petered out and everyone kinda gave up. If we get fitness back up, and motivate players (and maybe deliver a swift kick up the ****), I see no reason why top-4 is beyond reach. Painfully honest, Liverpool and City look beyond reach, at the very least, for a couple of years. Consistency, ability and desire beats us, plus their squads are much better. But honestly, I can see us finishing above Tottenham and Chelsea, provided basics fall into place.

-----

He was silly to say he wanted them by 1st July, given tournaments and holidays

It's just all a bit odd.... we're not learning from our mistakes in the transfer market seemingly, going to run out of time once again and have a squad that is a mix of players the manager wants and doesn't want. Which is recipe for disaster really, like last season under Mourinho all over again but obviously Solskjaer won't moan about it I imagine.

This non-existent Director of football is needed more than ever.... the fact we don't realise it is really worrying. I think Woodward does realise it, he just doesn't want one where it will have any bearing on his power. Sad really.

Maybe we will see things pick up.... but not going to hold my breath.

The window closes in august. Time isn't an issue right now. Even pre season is still a few weeks away

Oh, I'm not that worried about it happening before pre-season, although that would be ideal. It's literally that we are taking a bit too long to close deals, which shouldn't be the case. The 100Mn budget, I'm a bit worried about, but most publications also state that we have approached for a deal for Ndombele for 80 Mn, which would hardly be the case with a low budget.

Still, the time taken, and the deals seemingly taking so long to complete one after another is a bit worrying.

As for DoF zZ, I honestly don't know what they are playing at. Ideally, we need one, but we also have to accept the fact that they never will be independent of Woodward. Apparently, they are trying to look to form a committee like Liverpool, however, if executed badly, then sets us worse off. Guess that is a long waiting game to see what happens.

Also, I don't think our season will be as disastrous as last time. We were playing excellently under Solskjaer, until fitness levels petered out and everyone kinda gave up. If we get fitness back up, and motivate players (and maybe deliver a swift kick up the ****), I see no reason why top-4 is beyond reach. Painfully honest, Liverpool and City look beyond reach, at the very least, for a couple of years. Consistency, ability and desire beats us, plus their squads are much better. But honestly, I can see us finishing above Tottenham and Chelsea, provided basics fall into place.

The only issue is the one at a time thing, which is odd, and Woodward lowballing when he should front up and move on. Apart from that the timing issue isn't really a thing.

We're also almost certainly not signing a right winger

He's great. He thrives in one-on-one situations, has a good vision and is not afraid to shoot.
We have Martial already on the left. Isn't Everton primarily a left Inside Forward?

Honestly, if we can get in two CM and a CB (assuming AwB will be done), that will still work for me. ****, get in Bruno Fernandes and a CB, we can still make do, to an extent. But we need atleast one of each, if not a second CM.

As Mike said, don't reckon we are signing wide players (unless Lukaku leaves). Lingard/Alexis/James will be rotated there, I guess.

Even if the window closes in august, the more time the new players have of pre-season, the more prepared we are the for the challenging first rounds. It's damaging that the manager has to wait to see if his tactics will fit a new player or that he doesn't know quite sure if player x or y will stay. All speculation for now, but is certainly better if we decide some things sooner than later.

We have Martial already on the left. Isn't Everton primarily a left Inside Forward?

Honestly, if we can get in two CM and a CB (assuming AwB will be done), that will still work for me. ****, get in Bruno Fernandes and a CB, we can still make do, to an extent. But we need atleast one of each, if not a second CM.

As Mike said, don't reckon we are signing wide players (unless Lukaku leaves). Lingard/Alexis/James will be rotated there, I guess.
Yes, he's a left winger.

He was silly to say he wanted them by 1st July, given tournaments and holidays
Makes me laugh how managers say this nearly every year lol. It literally never happens! But still will see the same line pushed out again next year lol.

As ToD has pointed out there are more factors than just wanting a player to come involved in any transfer deals. Yes it would be nice to get all the action completed before the squad starts pre-season but it is rare that will happen. Buying and selling clubs would all like to get deals done to their own benefit so there will be give and take and that takes time to be agreed, the international tornaments will also affect things (just be thankful it isn't a world cup year as that really causes problems). As long as targets are achieved by the end of the window then I'm sure Ole and his team of coaches will be happy.

Yes, he's a left winger.

The great thing about Everton it that he can dribble in tight spaces. He creates space against tight defenses. James, for the little i've seen of him, is great when he's allowed space to run. His dribbles are in full speed. We already have players that are dangerous on the break (Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, maybe even Lingard). But we can't open up teams that park the bus. That's why a RW that has this attributes would be so important to us.

Back