The Manchester United Thread

Tbh Sky Italian have also. But let’s see. Can’t see it this year tbh!

#MUAcademy: we have been drawn in Northern Group H alongside Doncaster Rovers, Rotherham United and Lincoln City in the @EFL_Trophy. #MUFC

Will defo get tickets for these matches as they are all close as I live in Lincolnshire :)

That's because they all regurgitate news. One person says it so they all report the same thing, you can spot it by how they write, ie almost exactly the same phrasing

If we give Pogba and his agent a new contract after all this then I'd feel physically sick inside. The way that rat Raiola has ran his mouth and treated us like garbage all season. They know their move won't happen now so they will of course play it this way...... he doesn't want to be here..... just wants more money.

Even if we are stupid enough to give him MORE money, expect exactly the same in a few seasons.

He has got 3 years potentially left on his contract, sit down and shut up then maybe you might earn a degree of trust back from the fans. Right now bridges have been burnt. Not that we seem to care about the fans anymore.

Bridges clearly haven't been burned. And if your reactions are anything go to by over the last six months, don't to anything purely because of fans. Pogba isn't an idiot and neither is Solskjaer. Both know Solskjaer will want assurances of his own. Let along anyone signing off on any new offer. But he does need to sign a new contract within the next 12 months tbh. Otherwise value starts to depreciate after that. I suspect both parties will look to try and give it a year.

Last edited:
Bridges clearly haven't been burned. And if your reactions are anything go to by over the last six months, don't to anything purely because of fans. Pogba isn't an idiot and neither is Solskjaer. Both know Solskjaer will want assurances of his own. Let along anyone signing off on any new offer. But he does need to sign a new contract within the next 12 months tbh. Otherwise value starts to depreciate after that. I suspect both parties will look to try and give it a year.

What determines bridges being burnt? I'd say when you have fans criticising you vocally to your face last game of the season and a lot of fans wanting him gone in general getting to that point.

It's not even all Pogba's fault, his agent has ran his mouth too much and now people associate all that baggage as a reason for why he should go.

What determines bridges being burnt? I'd say when you have fans criticising you vocally to your face last game of the season and a lot of fans wanting him gone in general getting to that point.

It's not even all Pogba's fault, his agent has ran his mouth too much and now people associate all that baggage as a reason for why he should go.

The fact that the manager and squad are entirely happy with him means bridges arent burnt. United start the season well, and I guarantee you not a single fan will say a thing to him at the grounds. Which might just be a damming indictment of the fickleness of fans.

Defintion of bridges burnt:

Kos not travelling for pre season and the club putting out and official statement
Neymar not travelling and playing volleyball in brazil
Griezmann giving the fans a big **** you and not training and getting fined before he shoots off to Barcelona anyway

Well, that was the same with Rooney before that. And with de Gea during Fax-gate. Fans tend to always have a short term memory. A new contract and a few good performances, and the tune everywhere will change drastically. Not saying as I'm desperate to want him to stay, but that's how it is. He will stay if a club doesn't meet our valuation, and that's that.

It's a different thing that we should have sold Rooney and gotten Lewandowski like Fergie's initial plan, but that's a whole other horse.

If this Maguire deal gets over the line I will feel so conflicted, yes we have a decent CB but this market £80m when Roma are getting Aldeweireld for £25m and Juventus getting De Ligt for £63m.

What are your feelings folks? At the moment the deal looks like £80m including bonuses. Happy we have a CB at last, but meh Idk anymore.

Well, noone is denying that we are overpaying for Maguire. Although, 60 Mn doesn't sound too bad, the others are still variable. And you can't really use Alderweireld and de Ligt as markers, as both wanted to go to those clubs. I assume we would have tried for both, but were rebuffed.

If we get rid of Rojo, that is an added bonus.

If this Maguire deal gets over the line I will feel so conflicted, yes we have a decent CB but this market £80m when Roma are getting Aldeweireld for £25m and Juventus getting De Ligt for £63m.

What are your feelings folks? At the moment the deal looks like £80m including bonuses. Happy we have a CB at last, but meh Idk anymore.
The thing is surely there has to be better value out there do yous lot even have scouts at this point or are you just recycling old Mourinho transfer targets. For the price being paid is he even an upgrade on Lindelof, Bailly or even Smalling? i'm not so sure.

Well, noone is denying that we are overpaying for Maguire. Although, 60 Mn doesn't sound too bad, the others are still variable. And you can't really use Alderweireld and de Ligt as markers, as both wanted to go to those clubs. I assume we would have tried for both, but were rebuffed.

If we get rid of Rojo, that is an added bonus.

At least Maguire will actually see us as the pinnacle of his career and will give 100% no matter what. This is where I kind of see where Ole's vision is and support it, all these players he is bringing in will fully understand and appreciate the United badge. Moreso than some players that are brought from overseas.

We could wait for Toby if we wanted. And we've shown no inclination. I'm not hugely interested. We went for de Ligt and go rejected. So we can't really compare and complain.

60m rising to 80m is expensive. But if he's costing us 80m then he's doing a banging job mostly likely.

The thing is surely there has to be better value out there do yous lot even have scouts at this point or are you just recycling old Mourinho transfer targets. For the price being paid is he even an upgrade on Lindelof, Bailly or even Smalling? i'm not so sure.

I'm assuming we want Maguire mores for his aerial dominance as we have lacked someone like that for quite a while. A threat from set pieces is always nice to have. But I do see your point regarding this deal generally... it's somewhat underwhelming when you consider this is the best we can seemingly find. Having said that we are a club on the rocks so it is always harder getting players in these circumstances.

Bailly's problem is how injury prone he is, Lindelof will be his partner and Maguire is better on the bal/more aerially dominantl than Smalling.

At least Maguire will actually see us as the pinnacle of his career and will give 100% no matter what. This is where I kind of see where Ole's vision is and support it, all these players he is bringing in will fully understand and appreciate the United badge. Moreso than some players that are brought from overseas.
See, that I don't get. That depends on the player, and not whether they are from Britain or overseas. Giving 100% for the badge, that's on the player, not on his nationality. I honestly don't see how being British will help or boost that fact. You need personalities for that - determined, professional, never say die players.

Yes is the short answer. We had a whole debate on this on the main SI forum. Went stats mad and everything. For his specific profile there aren't many defenders like that avaliable. We tried for two of them already and got told no by both

I'm assuming we want Maguire mores for his aerial dominance as we have lacked someone like that for quite a while. A threat from set pieces is always nice to have. But I do see your point regarding this deal generally... it's somewhat underwhelming when you consider this is the best we can seemingly find. Having said that we are a club on the rocks so it is always harder getting players in these circumstances.

Bailly's problem is how injury prone he is, Lindelof will be his partner and Maguire is better on the bal/more aerially dominantl than Smalling.

It's actually for a lot more than that. It's aerial dominance coupled with the ability to command the back line as well as carry the ball out and play long accurate passes from the back. And be comfortable on the left hand side of defence. All of which he does. And I'm not even that huge a fan of him. But he does tick all the boxes, has a strong personality and has a knack for settling in immediately wherever he goes. Equally we shouldn't make the assumption he can't get better.

See, that I don't get. That depends on the player, and not whether they are from Britain or overseas. Giving 100% for the badge, that's on the player, not on his nationality. I honestly don't see how being British will help or boost that fact. You need personalities for that - determined, professional, never say die players.

Well just as an example if we brought in Maguire.... he's not thinking to himself well this is a great stepping to another big club in the future.

Contrast that to De Ligt, he has all great leadership/determined attributes but he would literally only be coming here as a stepping stone to Barca/Madrid.

Well just as an example if we brought in Maguire.... he's not thinking to himself well this is a great stepping to another big club in the future.

Contrast that to De Ligt, he has all great leadership/determined attributes but he would literally only be coming here as a stepping stone to Barca/Madrid.

I really, really, like De Ligt. But he'd definitely have gone within his contract. I expect him to turn up at Barça within his contract at Juve

Yes is the short answer. We had a whole debate on this on the main SI forum. Went stats mad and everything. For his specific profile there aren't many defenders like that avaliable. We tried for two of them already and got told no by both
You've been linked with Milenkovic surely he would be a better option plus he is versatile enough to play fullback and not look out of place. Every time i've seen him play he looks a player tailor made for the PL.

It's actually for a lot more than that. It's aerial dominance coupled with the ability to command the back line as well as carry the ball out and play long accurate passes from the back. And be comfortable on the left hand side of defence. All of which he does. And I'm not even that huge a fan of him. But he does tick all the boxes, has a strong personality and has a knack for settling in immediately wherever he goes. Equally we shouldn't make the assumption he can't get better.

Yeah I agree with you, one question though (unless I'm having a brain freeze).... doesn't Lindelof play on the left-side as well?

You've been linked with Milenkovic surely he would be a better option plus he is versatile enough to play fullback and not look out of place. Every time i've seen him play he looks a player tailor made for the PL.

He's good but more raw, probably isn't ready to be our first defender and we're not actually sure he's for sale.

We don't need him to be versatile at right back tbh

Back