The Manchester United Thread

Looks like the Longstaff deal is dead. Newcastle suddenly turned round and asked for 50m. United rightly told them to **** off.

Looks like the Longstaff deal is dead. Newcastle suddenly turned round and asked for 50m. United rightly told them to **** off.

What's annoying about this is that Newcastle never said this outright. Quite happy with 25m. Now suddenly asking for 50m. They'll get nothing now. And when they hopefully get relegated we can pick him up for less

What's annoying about this is that Newcastle never said this outright. Quite happy with 25m. Now suddenly asking for 50m. They'll get nothing now. And when they hopefully get relegated we can pick him up for less
Or, more realistically, this gives us a proper full season to judge him and see how good he is. And I'm glad we told them to sod off. It is madness paying 50 Mn for a yet unproven midfielder who hasn't even had a quarter season at the top level. Especially when Partey is available at the same amount.

Or, more realistically, this gives us a proper full season to judge him and see how good he is. And I'm glad we told them to sod off. It is madness paying 50 Mn for a yet unproven midfielder who hasn't even had a quarter season at the top level. Especially when Partey is available at the same amount.

Back in April he wasn't interested in leaving Atletico for anywhere, but that was before the big changes. So woukd be worth an enquiry. That's assuming United don't already know.

Back in April he wasn't interested in leaving Atletico for anywhere, but that was before the big changes. So woukd be worth an enquiry. That's assuming United don't already know.
True enough. I thought he was available, though? His father (or agent, can't recall who) seemed to be making noises about his RC and him wanting to move. Then again, didn't check the source then, so cannot be sure.

But, Partey or not, what is needed is a defensive midfielder. I honestly don't think Matic is that bad, just that he doesn't have it in him to play the role for an entire season. If he is used as rotational, he is a decent option to keep. But we do need reinforcements there. 2 CM and a CB, and before Longstaff was rejected, that was the plan, I reckon.

I would still be glad with Fernandes, Dias (or Milenkovic, though I doubt that happening) and a DM. That would indeed be our best summer in a long, long time.

Havent you heard about Ashley...?
Newcastle is club that really dont care about usually, but currently really feel for their fans and getting that **** to sell club would be amazing thing for the league also.

Also, I might be missing some transfer bits, but what happened to Alderweireld? I assume his RC is still at 25 Mn, and that he still wants out? If so, we should be all over that. Cheap enough, and WC, albeit short term. But it still provides a massive improvement to our defense at a very cheap cost, while allowing us to focus on getting in those two CMs. Also, he is already used to a similar system of play in Poch's Tottenham. He will give us a really good two years, and is not costing the moon.

Also, I might be missing some transfer bits, but what happened to Alderweireld? I assume his RC is still at 25 Mn, and that he still wants out? If so, we should be all over that. Cheap enough, and WC, albeit short term. But it still provides a massive improvement to our defense at a very cheap cost, while allowing us to focus on getting in those two CMs. Also, he is already used to a similar system of play in Poch's Tottenham. He will give us a really good two years, and is not costing the moon.
Hes off to Roma according to Di Marzio. And Newcastle was can do one at that price. Ed gets a lot of stick but see what he has to deal with just because we are Utd.

TBF, you well over inflated things with AWB. Even if Palace never got what they initially wanted.

No question the potential. I like the lad and his prospects for the future. And he's more advanced naturally than Longstaff. But you've madly set the massive price tags for yourselves with these English clubs right now with the purchase. At the end of the day. we're talking a lad who's still a LONG way shy of being a complete, top FB. Who has zero full International experience and a mere one full season's pro-football experience under his belt. Has he even played 50 full games yet?

Raw doesn't begin to cover him and he's now what, the 5th/6th most expensive defender of all time and top 5 in Utds biggest ever transfers. That sort of money, even in this current, over inflated, mad market is normal reserved for proven, experienced talent you can rely on from the off.

It's little wonder Leicester are looking at that and upping the Maguire price to absolutely absurd levels when you compare the twos careers to date. And now Newcastle, if that price tag is correct, are trying it on when they know how desperate Utd are in their current situation.

Pay it once and it has a knock-on effect.

TBF, you well over inflated things with AWB. Even if Palace never got what they initially wanted.

No question the potential. I like the lad and his prospects for the future. And he's more advanced naturally than Longstaff. But you've madly set the massive price tags for yourselves with these English clubs right now with the purchase. At the end of the day. we're talking a lad who's still a LONG way shy of being a complete, top FB. Who has zero full International experience and a mere one full season's pro-football experience under his belt. Has he even played 50 full games yet?

Raw doesn't begin to cover him and he's now what, the 5th/6th most expensive defender of all time and top 5 in Utds biggest ever transfers. That sort of money, even in this current, over inflated, mad market is normal reserved for proven, experienced talent you can rely on from the off.

It's little wonder Leicester are looking at that and upping the Maguire price to absolutely absurd levels when you compare the twos careers to date. And now Newcastle, if that price tag is correct, are trying it on when they know how desperate Utd are in their current situation.

I wouldn't be using the AWB transfer as an example of an overreach, his defensive stats were mental last season he was arguably the most needed position and well English. He was a massive upgrade even if hes worth only 20 million. Longstaff was more of an interesting punt and prospect and rightly Newcastle can go to **** expecting we'll pay that. We may have shown incompetency the past few years but we're not Liverpool splurging on Carroll crazy ;)

I don't know. We overpaid for AwB, yes, but it was also due to the fact that Palace didn't want to sell, he is British (which somehow increases their value for transfers) and arguably the best RB defensively in the League last season. Wasn't like Dalot, as he wasn't in the same level. We didn't overpay by too much, but it was necessary to close the transfer. Whether it works out or not is a whole different question, but we have always taken these punts from way before, I'm not too worried about it.

As for Maguire, ironically, it was Liverpool who broke that market by paying 75 Mn for VVD (City had done it before with Walker, breaching the 50 Mn mark). Albeit, his performances made it seem like a bargain, not disputing that. But it also had a domino effect, where clubs now were not afraid to break that 60 MN barrier for defenders, knowing full well how vital they are. Leicester value Maguire similar to how Southampton valued VVD, hence the crazy fee being quoted. They are also in no hurry to sell, as they will get a buyer, this season or the next. Hence, the 75 Mn+ fees. I honestly am not sure he is worth it, he always seems to get found out in a 2 man CB. Time will tell, I guess.

As for 50-60 Mn, in most areas, that's all which will get you. Potential. Neymar's transfer grotesquely broke the market. There will be bargains and experienced gems available still, but in today's market, you have to overpay (in the sense of what the prices would have been a few years ago). ****, even Klopp came out and admitted it. In that sense, 50 Mn isn't overpaying. It is a risk in that AwB is not the finished product, but the club would have scouted him thoroughly and probably has the confidence he will make it. Regular playing time helps, and that's what he will do here.

With the current prices though, a moneyball approach may become more common amongst clubs, as they look to remain sustainable.

McGuire’s not worth that at all.

But if you’re making someone as raw and experienced as AVB the 5th/ 6th most expensive defender of all time (which says it all on prices being that high for only the very best), then naturally Leicester are going to look at that and bump the price to stupid levels to get fair comparison value.

Which is all sound. I’m not telling Utd how to do their business. A players value is only worth what someone is willing to pay and they think he’s worth that. But you can’t over pay for one, and then bemoan clubs upping prices/ adding English premium et al on the next.

£50/ 60 mill gets you what you’re prepared to pay mate. If you do your homework and business savilly, you can get experienced, quality players for less than that in this market. Along with real good potential for less. Don’t let fees like the Portuguese kid and the likes of Demble etc skew things. There’s a big misconception on where fees are and where people think they’ll continue heading. You read it all the time of this player rumoured at upwards of £100 million or more. And that only rising. When in reality there’s very few players around or clubs that will/ have paid anything like that.

Last edited:
McGuire’s not worth that at all.

But if you’re making someone as raw and experienced as AVB the 5/ 6th most expensive defender of all time, then naturally Leicester are going to look at that and bump the price to stupid levels to get fair comparison value.

Which is all sound. I’m not telling Utd how to do their business. A players value is only worth what someone is willing to pay and they think he’s worth that. But you can’t over pay for one, and then bemoan clubs upping prices/ adding English premium et al on the next.

£50/ 60 mill gets you what you’re prepared to pay mate. If you do your homework and business savilly, you can get experienced, quality players for less than that in this market. Along with real good potential for less. Don’t let fees like the Portuguese kid and the likes of Demble etc skew things. There’s a big misconception on where fees are and where people think they’ll continue heading. You read it all the time of this player rumoured at upwards of £100 million or more. And that only rising. When in reality there’s very few players around or clubs that will/ have paid anything like that.

You're misunderstanding, though. Maguire's price was what it was since way before AwB. It was always set stupidly high by Leicester ever since he had a good WC. Last season, it was set around 60 Mn I believe. This season, after an okayish, season-long performance, it shot upto 75 Mn. It was a domino of VVD being paid 75 MN (he was worth it, Maguire, don't think he is). But Leicester value him as such, and are demanding such a fee. They don't really want to sell.

Your argument would have made sense if Leicester had jacked up their price post us getting/paying for AwB. But they didn't, they apparently have always maintained that Maguire would be sold for a record fee for a defender. It is more a testament to where the market is at present.

As for other players being worth greater in terms of value for money for around 50-60 Mn, I don't think you'll find any argument from me (or indeed, from most people on here). Alderweireld and Dias are two examples that immediately come to mind. But you have to assume that the club want something specific in Maguire to be chasing him as much. I personally still prefer Dias. OR Alderweireld, but ToD thinks that he is off to Roma, so that's that.

If we give Pogba and his agent a new contract after all this then I'd feel physically sick inside. The way that rat Raiola has ran his mouth and treated us like garbage all season. They know their move won't happen now so they will of course play it this way...... he doesn't want to be here..... just wants more money.

Even if we are stupid enough to give him MORE money, expect exactly the same in a few seasons.

He has got 3 years potentially left on his contract, sit down and shut up then maybe you might earn a degree of trust back from the fans. Right now bridges have been burnt. Not that we seem to care about the fans anymore.

Sherkey man, they have increased the price post AWB to Utd to the extent City have baulked. Which from their point of view you can understand as you’ve opened that door. They’re a set of cheeky btards no question but you can’t complain when you create the opportunity for them. Ala Newcastle with Longstaff.

It’s all relative.

Last edited:
Back