The Manchester United Thread

To be fair Maguire should never have made that back pass in the first place I doubt even De Gea at his best would have made a better job of it.
I'll quote someone from reddit on this one:
If you think that goal is on anyone but Henderson, then you're overthinking.

I'll quote someone from reddit on this one:
If you think that goal is on anyone but Henderson, then you're overthinking.
Opinions mean nothing, we will never know what would have happened if it had been De Gea in goal. Yes Henderson makes a mistake but he should never have been put in that position in the first place by Maguire. Maguire panicked when Burke closed in and then put the the keeper under pressure with a poor back pass.

I hope OGS said "if yer had 5 subs, you'll be on more than a point yer c**t

Jaw dropping that they agree the other day to allow 9 places on the bench ..... but keep it that you can only bring 3 on! Just what is the F point in that? ??‍♂️?‍♂️Even the FA had a go at the PL over player welfare as they extended the FA Cup/ woman’s game to 5 subs.

Yanno’, as much as nobody wants a few clubs to have too much ultimate power, the 14- 6 rule to vote anything is as bad as all the P ant Championship level clubs just look after their own individual interests.

They want to keep on as they’ll just ultimately force a breakaway and then let them see how their league does when the two clubs who, let’s face it, bring all the money and foreign interest into England, L’pool and Utd, finally have enough and aren’t there.

Take those two behemoths out of the PL alone and the PL has little value.

Just as, seemingly, the welfare of ALL players has little value to the no-mark clubs at the bottom end of the table.

Opinions mean nothing, we will never know what would have happened if it had been De Gea in goal. Yes Henderson makes a mistake but he should never have been put in that position in the first place by Maguire. Maguire panicked when Burke closed in and then put the the keeper under pressure with a poor back pass.
De Gea would be crucifixed like everytime he makes a mistake. We have proof from past.

Pass was good, Henderson shouldn't take 2 touches there, but since he decided he should, then first needs to be a lot better. He lost the control and he's sole to blame for it.

Sort out the home form and in this crazy crazy season we could be the closest title challengers.

1608284872571.jpeg

Yeah Henderson was completely at fault no doubt! And DDG would of rightly got crucified as should Henderson. But fair play to him he made 2 good saves after that. Did well with corners and made a top class save near the end that ended up keeping us 3 points instead of a draw.

There second goal was farce as Telles clearly played it off the Sheff Utd players toes.

Tim Sherwood was going mad on the HT analysis. Saying for what Maguire cost, why is he trying to get the ball back on his right foot to play a pass when it was really simple to let the ball run across and play it out wide with his left.

Tim Sherwood was going mad on the HT analysis. Saying for what Maguire cost, why is he trying to get the ball back on his right foot to play a pass when it was really simple to let the ball run across and play it out wide with his left.
Yep the FB was free and Maguire just didn't even look, for £80m you would expect more.

And there it is again, the price United payed for him. We knew back then, they knew, even Harry knew he was never a 80m player or whatever. Yet everyone is scapegoating him for that, like he said he's going to leave only of Leicester gets 80m.

He is what he is. And he's not at fault for Hendersons slip. And most certainly not because he was payed X amount.

Also I bet De Gea would be destroyed if he conceded 2nd goal. He would be labeled as weak and unwilling to claim crosses.

To be fair Maguire should never have made that back pass in the first place I doubt even De Gea at his best would have made a better job of it.

He had acres of space to clear it (or pass it to pogba who was free down the middle)

And there it is again, the price United payed for him. We knew back then, they knew, even Harry knew he was never a 80m player or whatever. Yet everyone is scapegoating him for that, like he said he's going to leave only of Leicester gets 80m.

He is what he is. And he's not at fault for Hendersons slip. And most certainly not because he was payed X amount.

Also I bet De Gea would be destroyed if he conceded 2nd goal. He would be labeled as weak and unwilling to claim crosses.
For me the issue isnt the price. Its the issue of any PROFESSIONAL footballer not being able/refusing to do something simple with their 'weaker' foot. There is absolutely no excuse for it. Same with strikers refusing a simple tap in or a better shot using their weaker foot and then losing the ball or the chance messing about trying to get it onto their stronger foot. Im no professional but I have no problem playing a 20 yard pass with my left foot or shooting with it if it is the correct thing to do. These are professionals on thousands a week.

For me the issue isnt the price. Its the issue of any PROFESSIONAL footballer not being able/refusing to do something simple with their 'weaker' foot. There is absolutely no excuse for it. Same with strikers refusing a simple tap in or a better shot using their weaker foot and then losing the ball or the chance messing about trying to get it onto their stronger foot. Im no professional but I have no problem playing a 20 yard pass with my left foot or shooting with it if it is the correct thing to do. These are professionals on thousands a week.

But... Somebody on Reddit said...

He had acres of space to clear it (or pass it to pogba who was free down the middle)
I have no idea what game you have been watching. See screenshots down below.

Thats fine, I would agree with you that professional footballer at highest of levels should be able to play that kind of a pass. But that's a completely different from blaming Maguire for a goal.

Screenshots in a spoiler:

1. Lindelof took the free kick quickly and pass the ball to the Henderson. You can clearly see Matic marked, Pogba marked ( ahead of Lideloff) and only Maguire was available but he was getting closed down even before Henderson played the ball.
Frv3xj2.png

2. Maguire is getting the ball and he quickly closed down by Sheffild player.
jcxeKMX.png

3. Fraction of a second before Maguire receivers the pass from Henderson. Telles on the left is being closed down. So Maguire should have opened his body and plass it to Telles who was being closed down and running back so you would pass to his weaker foot as well and he'll probably had to clear the ball unless he wanted to lose the possession. That's all hypothetical since he could pull a Messi and dribble past all Sheffild players but the most realistic option is he would had the ball and he would be faced towards Henderson anyway.
glFPOej.png

4. This is after Magure took a touch with a ball. And now we come to the part where elite passing and vision comes. He could have played the ball towards Matic in the free space and United would probably be fine. But it's a risky pass and the safest option was to pass it back to Henderson.
lffyBqm.png

And the rest we know. Having watched it again frame by frame, Maguires pass wasnt the best, yet still Henderson shouldn't take a second after receiving the ball. He should have kicked the ball and thats it.

Also, that goal is perfect example why United should keep it simple at the times. They are not the best unit to play it out of back and full credit to Sheffield taking the advantage of ever so lethargic United in the beginning of the game.

The game is over now it doesn't matter really who's fault that first goal is the main thing is 3 points were eventually won. A clean sheet would have been nice but this team don't do clean sheets especially away from home. As any manager would say it is better to have points in the bag at the end of the day.