The Manchester United Thread

This was their season finale, their peek this season. Fair play to Liverpool they were better team for tonight. United simply had little to play for.

With that said, we'll have to watch Eric Bailly for 4 more seasons. ******* ****.

Atleast the good news is that match didn't tell me anything new with regard to what we need in terms of reinforcements. The McFred pairing isn't one that can control matches and we still can't defend set pieces to save our lives

Also, it seems like I watched 2 CBs with no leadership play with each other.

Atleast the good news is that match didn't tell me anything new with regard to what we need in terms of reinforcements. The McFred pairing isn't one that can control matches and we still can't defend set pieces to save our lives

Also, it seems like I watched 2 CBs with no leadership play with each other.
Good job we didn’t miss that total **** **** CB captain tonight 😋🤦🏻‍♂️

Good job we didn’t miss that total **** **** CB captain tonight 😋🤦🏻‍♂️
I will admit that defense looks even worse without Slabhead but that doesn't mean he's quality or anything.

Bailly and Lindelof are partner CBs. I still don't think Maguire is the leader for them but at the same time, he's neither hot headed (Bailly) not timid (Lindelof) but suffers from a lot of deficiencies. He does have one redeeming factor which is his aerial ability which would make me retain him BUT he needs a leader besides him...a real leader, not some Faux, "all I do is yell switch on" leader.

I will admit that defense looks even worse without Slabhead but that doesn't mean he's quality or anything.

Bailly and Lindelof are partner CBs. I still don't think Maguire is the leader for them but at the same time, he's neither hot headed (Bailly) not timid (Lindelof) but suffers from a lot of deficiencies. He does have one redeeming factor which is his aerial ability which would make me retain him BUT he needs a leader besides him...a real leader, not some Faux, "all I do is yell switch on" leader.
I think he’s massively under rated. He’s not WC or worth the fee he cost but nothing he can do about that. He’s just a very good CB nothing more or less. Needs a good partner in the summer

Rene Meulenstein (Sp?) ..... The Dutch fella that was at Utd under Ferguson, was really interesting to listen to last noght putting complete perspective on the factorss in both clubs respective seasons and where things lie going forward.

@Vanjagl would have loved him when he said the biggest mistake Utd are about to make for him is rolling with Henderson. Levels below De Gea and, albeit a good goalie, nowhere near consistentlyy difference makingto ever challenge for anything in his opinion.

Rene Meulenstein (Sp?) ..... The Dutch fella that was at Utd under Ferguson, was really interesting to listen to last noght putting complete perspective on the factorss in both clubs respective seasons and where things lie going forward.

@Vanjagl would have loved him when he said the biggest mistake Utd are about to make for him is rolling with Henderson. Levels below De Gea and, albeit a good goalie, nowhere near consistentlyy difference makingto ever challenge for anything in his opinion.

Obviously, I expect criticisms following last night's performance. Never assumed he was better than DDG however he's been declining since the WC. That's clear to see. He was costing us goals time and time again last season and lost a lot of his shot stopping ability. I read some stats on goal keeping save percentage this season and DDG was bottom 3.

If we sell Henderson and Keep DDG, we're sure to look for a GK anyways considering he's 31 and declining. If we sell DDG and keep henderson, we may deal with some short term occasional clangers like yesterday but banking on his ability to improve since he's only 24.

Don't think he'll ever be as good as peak Dave but peak Dave was a ******* myth. Only GK right now that could match his goal stopping ability is Oblak and we sure as **** aren't pricing him away from Atletico

Last edited:

Rene was always a good coach, tactician. Something Fergie was lacking. And Rene lacked man management, thats why his managerial spells never were successful. One of the better coaches United had. I'll be interested to hear what he said, if you have the link.

On topic of Henderson. He's all around decent goalkeeper. Currently he's not #1 goalkeeper material. De Gea was miles ahead of him when he was his age and he's still better. But I think United management is willing to sell De Gea because he was on decline in last couple of years.
For how much De Gea is slandered for his "lack of communication and coming for crosses", Henderson aint much better, if at all. It's clear there's so much agenda against De Gea from club supporters, they are forgetting just how vital De Gea was for the club.

I think on phasing out De Gea and Hendo becoming #1 ( mind, he can still improve and surpass this version of De Gea, but that's a lot of betting and I aint a betting type), similar with Maguire, United are settling for average/above average players with some weird vision of some savior defender becoming available and elevating everyone else.

It was an Malaysian feed of the game I was watching last night as I can’t stand listening to Tyler, Neville and Carragher and all their utter B/S. Singapore I think? He and Jermaine Pennant were on zoom with the host.

So whether anyones done the after game discussion I don’t know but they were both really engaging, forthright and knowledgeable.

On Utd, he was basically going over the weakness’ in the squad/ how far away from City and L’pool they are when all things are equal/ the false picture of the overall COVID season etc and what improvements need to be made in his opinion.

As all Dutch coaches are, he was really interesting to listen to. And when he went into the goalies, I instantly thought of you.

It was an Malaysian feed of the game I was watching last night as I can’t stand listening to Tyler, Neville and Carragher and all their utter B/S. Singapore I think? He and Jermaine Pennant were on zoom with the host.

So whether anyones done the after game discussion I don’t know but they were both really engaging, forthright and knowledgeable.

On Utd, he was basically going over the weakness’ in the squad/ how far away from City and L’pool they are when all things are equal/ the false picture of the overall COVID season etc and what improvements need to be made in his opinion.

As all Dutch coaches are, he was really interesting to listen to. And when he went into the goalies, I instantly thought of you.

I watched that and besides the GK situation, he didn't suggest anything differently from what we've discussed on this thread as well: primarily CB and CM. He also makes a brilliant point on Pogba and how he creates an imbalance. We end up shoehorning him into the left, half space winger and putting Rashford on the right when he's not a right winger.

He equally shares my doubt on Declan rice as well 🙂

I watched that and besides the GK situation, he didn't suggest anything differently from what we've discussed on this thread as well: primarily CB and CM. He also makes a brilliant point on Pogba and how he creates an imbalance. We end up shoehorning him into the left, half space winger and putting Rashford on the right when he's not a right winger.

He equally shares my doubt on Declan rice as well 🙂

If some of the discussions in this thread were as rationale as the one those two had mate they would be a pleasant read. 😉

Cheers, wil search for it.

If you want to have serious coversation, I'm willing to give it another chance.

Yeah, there are glaring weaknesses in United team, and one of them is tactic.
Mind, Ferguson was far from tactical genious (as is Klopp as a matter of a fact) but he always had great tacticians around him. OGS has great man managment, but his tactical knowledge is really poor compared to those two. I still honestly don't believe he's the right man, but he stabilized the club in many ways.

Cheers, wil search for it.

If you want to have serious coversation, I'm willing to give it another chance.

Yeah, there are glaring weaknesses in United team, and one of them is tactic.
Mind, Ferguson was far from tactical genious (as is Klopp as a matter of a fact) but he always had great tacticians around him. OGS has great man managment, but his tactical knowledge is really poor compared to those two. I still honestly don't believe he's the right man, but he stabilized the club in many ways.
That’s what he’s missing that one top class coach for tactics. But I also think Ole is not as bad on that as made out to be either.

So here's where I stand with OGS.

My opinion about him being out of his depth hasn't changed a bit. What has changed is my stance to replace (I'm sure Scouse would be delighted). Reason is...look at the choices in the market: Allegri, Sarri, possibly Marcelino. These are decent options and would probably be upgrades over OGS BUT we've been going through this cycle of "let's hire the best managers available" for about 5 years now and it's set us back each time.

LVG and Mourinho are perfect examples. Neither of these managers were my first choice at the time (during the time frame we hired LVG, I was begging for one of Pep/Klopp). Then, we hired Mourinho (again, not my first choice as he personified an anti-united kinda manager.

Before OGS was inauspiciously awarded a permanent contract , I was crying out for Poch. He was eventually sacked and idk how OGS survived that home loss to Burnley the year before while Poch was available.

My ideal man is Poch inspite all the criticism he's receiving in Paris and honestly, if the options remain the same, I'd rather stick with OGS and wait for PSG eventually pull the plug on him (which would disappoint Scouse 🙃). OGS will probably leave us in a better state (squad balance wise) than anyone one else post-fergie

Last edited:
I would definitely stick with Ole instead of hiring any of those other 3 just in terms of style of play. Yes we might be more secure defensively but at the same time ultra pragmatic and would be like bringing back Mourinho or LVG.

I would definitely stick with Ole instead of hiring any of those other 3 just in terms of style of play. Yes we might be more secure defensively but at the same time ultra pragmatic and would be like bringing back Mourinho or LVG.
If he can expand his tactical aproach, then sure. Now its either counterattack or praying for some moments of brilliance from Rashford or Bruno.

If he can expand his tactical aproach, then sure. Now its either counterattack or praying for some moments of brilliance from Rashford or Bruno.
I think he can and has shown he can. He needs to stop revering to like his default if we have a bad moment/match. Hopefully a CB and a DM will help us ditch the so called safety blanket of McFred and the need to bubble wrap our slow CBs

Back