The Manchester United Thread

What was the ‘and btw’’ again?
E86ArP_XMAI0tZe

Chong getting rave reviews. Been playing as a CM for Birmingham first 2 matches.

Blues Breakdown

@blues_breakdown

Tahith Chong is very good at football. That’s all.

@SA2bcfc

Tahith Chong is honestly amazing to watch #bcfc

Unbelievable first half from Blues so far. Bournemouth without even an attempt on goal. Chong is different gravy, cutting open their back line like a hot knife to butter. Who is this blues and how dare they be a joy to watch! #bcfc | #BIRBOU

Horrible to read.

One of my all time favourite footballers I never saw play. But I sure grew up on tales of just how great an adversary Best, Law and Charlton were in Busby’s great Utd side. Who would have been a Liverpool player if the board had given Shankly the finances to bring him with him from Huddersfield as he wanted back in ‘ 59.

Short personal story-

I shared a train journey with him back from Euston to Piccadilly 20 years or so ago. Midweek mid-morning train. Which was quiet. So I thought I’d have a mooch and see if I could get my head down in first class. And there's Dennis Law sat there which blew me away to start with. When I said hello and he was real responsive, that would have made my day alone. But for him to offer me a seat which turned into a riveting few hours of arl football stories from him …… Something I'll never forget. Top, TOP bloke and a proper gentleman I can’t speak highly enough about.

Couldn’t get him to talk about that glorious backheel that sent Utd down though haha.

Last edited:
Laurie Whitwell
@lauriewhitwell

The fact #MUFC have five years to pay for Jadon Sancho + four to pay for Raphael Varane suggests the initial outlay this summer totals ~£23.5m. Still, after losing £150m due to pandemic, United are being cautious over more signings. a CM is priority @TheAthleticUK

Laurie Whitwell ……

Is that the patronising divvy that didn’t have a clue what Klopp was saying on finances last Friday and mad an *** of herself with the condescending response?

The Athletic have started down the clickbait road lately too I’ve noticed which is a shame as they were different and in-depth.

If they start to f up again, there wont be second chance for them.

What do you mean? "There won't be a second chance for them"?

What will people do?
Military style coup? Public hanging? Hostile financial takeover?

They will wave a few banners, shout at cameras for YouTube hits and go home for their dinner like good consumers.

They will still own the club and take their cut.

What will people do?

They will wave a few banners, shout at cameras for YouTube hits and go home for their dinner like good consumers.

I loved the irony that they illegally broke into the ground to riot ..... uhmmmm, 'protest', back in May.

Yet when they could return in force freely last Sat'day and do that legitimately ..... Nothing.

Or maybe it was 'red' day in Manchester as to why there wasn't any green and gold? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Match ends with a 5-0 win for United. Hanson got our fourth with an assist from Galton. Galton scored the fifth following a neat pass from Fuso.

What will people do?

Second chance for fixing relationship with the fans.

Looks like a fair few outgoings in the next weeks. Periera, Garner, Hoogwerf, Mengi, Williams Possibly Lingard, Jones, Matic, Dalot according to Mitten and Whitwall

Solskjaer on Varane and Sancho
“Well, you’ll see you on Sunday [Varane and Sancho]. They’ve worked well, they’ve had minutes, we’ve had a very good week ourselves and we’ll see who is making the flight down on Saturday."

"For me, me and Paul work together every day and we keep on trying to improve, improve the team and to enjoy ourselves when we just have to make sure we don’t make this one game and everyone flys off on it with the big headlines and the praise we get. It’s about bringing the energy and being even better. One swallow never makes a summer."

James Garner will go out on loan
"I would definitely think Jimmy will go on loan, that's more or less done, he's done really well in pre season and really impressed me. For his career, another season or another six months playing regularly will help him. With Amad, I have to say he's doing really, really well in training, he's come back a little later after the Olympics and now he's looking really good. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays as well. It has to be the right loan, the club, way of playing etc."

Why does Solskjaer like Varane?
"I think if you've followed football the last 10 years, that's the reason we want to sign him, over his career, it's no secret we were close when he left for Real Madrid 10 yrs ago. Sir Alex was there speaking to them, we were close, and ever since his performances on the pitch, behaviour and demeanour off the pitch tell me that's a Man Utd player and we tried to convince him to have the feeling of Man Utd.

That's been in his heart ever since he went to Real, and we have had feelings for him for many, many years. CL, WC wins, everything about him is class. Quick strong, good in the air, can play with both feet, the short answer is everything about him is what you want. He's been humble, he's inquisitive, he asks questions, he doesn't wanna learn by a mistake in the game, he wants to learn it on the training field, everything about him has been impressive."

Solskjaer on Cavani
"Edinson's always looked after himself and is lacking in team training, football training, he had different reasons to why he came late. There were some personal reasons and his body can tolerate a lot, it was something required not physically, a different matter, he's ready to train, ready to go and let's see how much we can get out of him."

Solskjaer gives update on Henderson
"I think the whole situation around Covid is still unknown and its's new for everyone, that's the scary bit, you hear people, less fit people than footballers have it and no symptoms and footballers get side-effects, tiredness, it's a scary disease and virus. We need to be careful. Dean was tired after training, now he feels much better, he's passed all the tests and he's training, building himself up again because he's lost a few weeks, he's working hard on the grass."

On Lingard's future
"I think Jesse's first priority is to get into team, whenever your employer is Man Utd that's your first priority, it always is. We together can have great moments.

As a manager, with players and a squad, like I've got now, it's difficult to say this weekend you're not playing. I've got to leave players out of the starting XI and squad. But they all have to remember they're gonna play a part if we're gonna be successful. Jesse's back to fitness played really well in BCD game, come back in good shape, he's got a big part to play."

Solskjaer on anti-vaxxers
"They're not all double jabbed, no. I am and I encourage the lads to take the vaccination but we can't force anyone to do that, no. To my understanding, we're still wanting everyone to be double jabbed and it's up to them, it's possible to take them."

Solskjaer sends warning over United starting slow
"It'll be a big difference [return of crowds], I don't know how many points but we won so many going one goal down and you can't afford to do that with fans away from home.

It will mean so much, extra edge, nerves if you're away fans so we have to approach the games, start better, that's a definite, call it to manage the game, away fans are the ones that are heard.

We've got the best away fans in the world but we can only hear them if we play well and start well. It's not gonna happen for the first game at Saint Marys in 18 months but it's up to us to do that as well."