The Manchester United Thread

Got a chance to relive the horror yesterday and a few things to note'
View attachment 565379

Greenwood needs to be coached on how to press effectively. I saw the same thing from him vs LC where he wouldn't make curved runs to block off passing lanes to Castagne I think. It's no coincidence I see the same sort of pressing movement from him here. He presses like a kid in essence which does make sense since he's 20. This actually led to a couple of Liverpool's goals (1st and 4th). Robertson receives the ball and AWB tries to press him. Liverpool easily bypass this and Lindelof shuttles across to cover up the space he left behind while trying to press. Maguire covers the space left by Lindelof and Shaw covers the space left by Maguire. That left no one marking Liverpool's right hand side. Complete systematic failure. Hard to pin this on one individual but it all began with Greenwood

View attachment 565380

View attachment 565381

The Ronaldo problem. This always means Bruno leaves the midfield to compensate for his non-existent press which leaves us in a 3v2 situation. It even becomes a 4v2 situation as firmino likes to drop deep as well.

Maybe, just maybe, We could've fared better if we just sat back and covered up gaps that consistently appeared in midfield. We can't press with Ronaldo so might as well.

View attachment 565382

Just basically more of the same.

I really am scared of the next Manchester derby as Pep loves his midfield superiority. And add to how ruthless city can be, it could be a true bloodbath. I'm talking 9-0
😭😭

Got a chance to relive the horror yesterday and a few things to note'
View attachment 565379

Greenwood needs to be coached on how to press effectively. I saw the same thing from him vs LC where he wouldn't make curved runs to block off passing lanes to Castagne I think. It's no coincidence I see the same sort of pressing movement from him here. He presses like a kid in essence which does make sense since he's 20. This actually led to a couple of Liverpool's goals (1st and 4th). Robertson receives the ball and AWB tries to press him. Liverpool easily bypass this and Lindelof shuttles across to cover up the space he left behind while trying to press. Maguire covers the space left by Lindelof and Shaw covers the space left by Maguire. That left no one marking Liverpool's right hand side. Complete systematic failure. Hard to pin this on one individual but it all began with Greenwood

View attachment 565380

View attachment 565381

The Ronaldo problem. This always means Bruno leaves the midfield to compensate for his non-existent press which leaves us in a 3v2 situation. It even becomes a 4v2 situation as firmino likes to drop deep as well.

Maybe, just maybe, We could've fared better if we just sat back and covered up gaps that consistently appeared in midfield. We can't press with Ronaldo so might as well.

View attachment 565382

Just basically more of the same.

I really am scared of the next Manchester derby as Pep loves his midfield superiority. And add to how ruthless city can be, it could be a true bloodbath. I'm talking 9-0
Some additional analyst:

I would not say that the team is that bad, it more feels that players are not bought for system that Ole wants or tries to play. Thus making it crazy to give him so much say in transfer. I understand buying youngster for potential but getting two same age RW in, then go after Sancho who is 1-2 years older that those lads. Add Greenwood and you have 4 RW who are pretty much in the same age group. Understand some can play several places but those spots are pretty much filled.

Just curious question who watch every match etc. Who do you think has most improved in the span of 3 years? Who has added some new dimension or skill to his table? I would exlude players who are young and have had that natural growth in their posistion.

I am sad how ****** up we are right now, but at my mind is at peace that we have some system and phylosophy inside the club + second season in PL, issues are natural to come. Very hard second season for us and luck + injuries have not been kind to us.

Got a chance to relive the horror yesterday and a few things to note' .....

Undecided which was more cringe embarrassing for you yesterday.

Discovering Paul Scholes sucks his daughter's toes.

Losing your Cup Final to record margins?

The inept morons on the sideline?

The even bigger inept morons on the pitch with absolutely zero leadership or mental aptitude to sort things out for themselves? (Another MAJOR thing this Utd squad lacks. Leaders. Or even one of.).

Or Pau;l Scholes sucking his daughter's toes?

It's a tough choice.

1635147144431.png

1635148792241.png

Still can't believe he not only gets in your side every week, but worse, is your captain!

He'd struggle to get a game for my first junior side Whiston.

Last edited:
I'm not even going to mention the match, because I'd be liable to breaking something. We should not be getting that result at Old Trafford, against Liverpool, of all clubs. That was an utter disgrace. Pretty depressing day even in other sports I follow, so more of that to go around. Sigh.

I'm not sure if this was shared, but this is an interesting article

More in-tune with what Scouse was stating about how we are just repeating Liverpool's mistakes - it seems we go around in cycles with each other. And depressingly, continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

Also, we lost like that to Pool at OT. What will it finally take to move on from OGS? A even worse defeat at City? I'm half expecting that if we lose by a lesser margin, that will be termed as "turning a new leaf" - depressing stuff.

I'm not even going to mention the match, because I'd be liable to breaking something. We should not be getting that result at Old Trafford, against Liverpool, of all clubs. That was an utter disgrace. Pretty depressing day even in other sports I follow, so more of that to go around. Sigh.

I'm not sure if this was shared, but this is an interesting article

More in-tune with what Scouse was stating about how we are just repeating Liverpool's mistakes - it seems we go around in cycles with each other. And depressingly, continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

Also, we lost like that to Pool at OT. What will it finally take to move on from OGS? A even worse defeat at City? I'm half expecting that if we lose by a lesser margin, that will be termed as "turning a new leaf" - depressing stuff.

As much as I'm naturally loving having great fun with this, in exactly the same way as Brendan Rodgers should have resigned after we got humiliated 6-1 at Stoke Gerrards last game, IF Solksjaer cared about Utd, he would have handed his resignation in last night. But he patently only cares about Ole.

Utd can't get humiliated to historical levels by L'pool like that. EVER. They just can't.

Say's it all that neither he took the decision out of the club's hands. Nor did the club took it out of their 'yes mans' and made it for him.

And you just know if you turn around and beat City, being as he madly has the Indian sign over Guardiola, all his defenders will be all over that and citing that as positive proof the clubs moving forward. 🤦🏼‍♂️

As much as I'm naturally loving having great fun with this, in exactly the same way as Brendan Rodgers should have resigned after we got humiliated 6-1 at Stoke Gerrards last game, IF Solksjaer cared about Utd, he would have handed his resignation in last night. But he patently only cares about Ole.

Utd can't get humiliated to historical levels by L'pool like that. EVER. They just can't.

Say's it all that neither he took the decision out of the club's hands. Nor did the club took it out of their 'yes mans' and made it for him.

And you just know if you turn around and beat City, being as he madly has the Indian sign over Guardiola, all his defenders will be all over that and citing that as positive proof the clubs moving forward. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Sadly Scouse they can and have reached the humiliation level you speak of and will probably drop even further. This situation is not different to the one that United found themselves in back in the 1970's after the late Sir Matt left and we all know what happened then only this time it is taking longer to reach rock bottom. As much as it would pain most fans the best thing that could happen to the club is relegation that would hopefully cause a total reboot (and hopefully resulting in the removal of the real problem ie the Glazers) of the club.

View attachment 565384

Still can't believe he not only gets in your side every week, but worse, is your captain!

He'd struggle to get a game for my first junior side Whiston.

Unfortunately, it seems like certain players play without the consequence of getting dropped. He knows he can drop 2/10 performances and still get in the side next week...even if he isn't fully fit

Some additional analyst:

I would not say that the team is that bad, it more feels that players are not bought for system that Ole wants or tries to play. Thus making it crazy to give him so much say in transfer. I understand buying youngster for potential but getting two same age RW in, then go after Sancho who is 1-2 years older that those lads. Add Greenwood and you have 4 RW who are pretty much in the same age group. Understand some can play several places but those spots are pretty much filled.

Just curious question who watch every match etc. Who do you think has most improved in the span of 3 years? Who has added some new dimension or skill to his table? I would exlude players who are young and have had that natural growth in their posistion.

That's the problem. Fans have been calling for a DM but I've always wondered how about he improve what he has for starters. We have James Garner who he regularly ships on loan. He's apparently one for youth however, no one points out how Brandon Williams went off the map or how he's been crying out for a RW despite having two very talented ones already in Pellestri and Diallo.

Hard to think of a player that has made strides in the past 3 years besides maybe Rashford. His goal per game rate improved but that's about it.

The way we've played this season, it feels as if he just inherited a dysfunctional mess 3 months ago and is trying to get his bearings right. Pretty damning isn't it?

Bailey still unable to stay healthy?
Bailly makes the bench regularly but he doesn't get picked for some reason.

One thing that does irk me a bit more was when Varane got in the lineup ahead of Lindelof when Maguire has been worse. Ball playing ability, I honestly think Lindelof is better. You wouldn't see Maguire pulling off some of those over the top balls to runners in behind as frequently as he does.

But he's English

Absolutely nailed it. That's why it won't make a lick of difference whether the PE teacher remains in charge or Jürgen Klopp takes over.

'Philosophy and vision.' Whilst the Glazers remain overseeing this shitshow, with everyone pulling in different directions with recruitment as haphazard as it continues to be with no thought for players to fit the highlighted, the carnage at OT will roll and roll.

We know. Until we got that right, with a proper GM/ Dof/ SD, call it what you may, and manager working off the same page, wee had decades of this **** too.

Last edited:
Absolutely nailed it. That's why it won't make a lick of difference whether the PE teacher remains in charge or Jürgen Klopp takes over.

'Philosophy and vision.' Whilst the Glazers remain overseeing this shitshow, with everyone pulling in different directions with recruitment as haphazard as it continues to be with no thought for players to fit the highlighted, the carnage at OT will roll and roll.

We know. Until we got that right, with a proper GM/ Dof/ SD, call it what you may, and manager working off the same page, wee had decades of this **** too.

So you're telling me Klopp wouldn't do better with Solkjaer with this group of players?

So you're telling me Klopp wouldn't do better with Solkjaer with this group of players?

I very much doubt he or anyone would have you challenging for the league. No.Not the way this current Utd side is built.

He's a top coach but he's no miracle worker with mediocre talent that's a mix of all sorts. He wouldn't have the levels of success at Anfield without the right recruitment and philosophy through the whole club from top to bottom.

What Utd players would fit in a Klopp team outside the young attackers?