The Manchester United Thread

Great presser! 🤩 World class football person telling it how it is and no sugar coating. And talking actual sense 😍

The start of Rangnick's era
"Thanks for coming and getting up that early. Most early press conference in my life.

If a club like Man United contacts you for such a role, you cannot possibly turn it down."

Accepting the job:
"At the time, when Chelsea contacted me, they only talked about the option to become interim manager for four months. We're talking about six and a half months [at United] and we also have a two-year advisory role.

If Manchester United contact you for such role then you can't turn it down."

Does Rangnick want the job after the six months?
"The people with whom I've spoken with, they have been very clear that it is a six-month role. We have never spoken about what will happen in the summer. If they will speak about me with that, we will see. if they ask me about my opinion, I might make the same recommendation that I did at RB Leipzig twice, that it might be better to work with me for one year."

Rangnick's target
"The major target for me is just to bring more balance to the team. We conceded two goals yesterday and if you look at the total of number of goals conceded, it is on average of two a game. That is just too much. Those are not the kind of games you need every day. In football to me, it's to minimise the coincidence factor."

The post Sir Alex Ferguson years
"It's not unusual that after along. successful spell, the club needs to find a new pathway. The club has had no continuity in signing new players and sticking to the DNA of the club. In the future, the board members and my self have the same opinion. It's important not to have many changes in management."

On Carrick and coaching staff
"Michael, I got to know this two days ago. I met with Michael and Kieran, I had a long private conversation for more than an hour. I tried to convince him to stay, in the end, I had to accept that. I'm more than happy to work with the current coaching staff, I need their expertise. I will try to find two or three people that will join us in the coming weeks, but due to Brexit, it's not that easy."

"We haven't spoken about new players. Now is the time to get to know the current squad in detail, the squad is definitely not too small. There is enough players. Maybe after Christmas, there will be a time to talk about possible transfers in the winter. In my experience, winter is not the time for sustainable transfers. It will be difficult in the winter."

"Seeing Cristiano yesterday at 36, I’ve never seen a player that physically fit at that age. He can easily make the difference."

Rangnick's visio
"It can only go game by game, step by step. You have to make sure you have the biggest chance to win the next game then step by step. Let the players follow and buy into the idea that I can offer them on how we want to play in the future. Pep has been at City for three years, Jurgen for five, Thomas only came in February, but in time-wise, they're a little ahead of us in the way they want to develop. I'm more than happy with the players we have here."

Rangnick on last night's game:
"I'm very much looking forward to Thursday. Yesterday in the box, I felt with Michael, Kieran, it could have been 3-3. You don't want these types of games as a coach. In the end, I was more than happy we got the result we wanted."

Rangnick on Haaland
"£10m for Haaland, £10m for Mbappe, £10m for Lewandowski and £10m for Kimmich," Rangnick chuckles, pretending to flick through his notes.

This is nonsense. There is no such clause in my contract. There is little point in speculating over new players. I know what kind of player he is, but in the meantime, the whole world has realised how good the player is. The offensive players we have here, we have so many top players in the offensive department that we don't need to speak about any other player."

Rangnick on training:
"Modern football in the last 10 years, it has completely changed into a more physical, more athletic, more vertical game. In order to develop teams, you need to train the bodies and the brains."

Rangnick on what he liked from Arsenal
"All of you saw the game. The first half was shaky with this unlucky goal. Even myself, I said where is David? After that goal, it was a major blow for the team, they were lacking confidence. Which is normal after the recent weeks. It was important to get the equaliser before halftime. You could see the potential that was in the team. To transfer the game away from our own box into an area where we have our assets."

Honestly he is even scarier as a pure finisher than when he was on the wing dribbling past 4 players and scoring long range bangers. Any time he's in the box and the ball falls anywhere near him it smells like a goal.

— Rangnick's message to fans: “As I said, I think everybody expects – especially the supporters but also the players and the coaching staff – to perform in a successful way and to play in style(1/3)..” #mufc #mujournal

— Rangnick: “And to combine those two things I think this is the major target in the next days, weeks, months (2/3)..” #mufc #mujournal

— Rangnick: “To make sure the fans can see what we want to play and that we do that, investing everything we can to get better. This is, for me, the major target in the next weeks(3/3)” #mufc #mujournal

Rangnick obsesses about his players’ diet. His belief in the importance of nutrition was introducing individually tailored dietary plans for the players at Salzburg and Leipzig almost a decade ago! (@OliverKay /@TheAthleticUK) #mufc

Rangnick wins hearts and minds with a quiet word, a gentle arm around the shoulder there and an empathetic, compassionate nature! (@OliverKay /@TheAthleticUK) #mufc

Marcel Halstenberg ; We were still in the second division then. Rangnick stopped our first training session after 20 minutes. He had seen that some players were struggling because the pitch was too firm! (@OliverKay) #mufc 1/2

@UtdWatchZone

Marcel Halstenberg ; He and his staff spent the whole day looking for another pitch. I will always remember his perfectionism, work ethic and eye for detail! (@OliverKay) #mufc 2 /2

— Ralf Rangnick believes a coach’s job is less about finding the right “tactics” than instilling the correct habits and impulses in his players. A “system” is less about formations, more about a state of mind #mufc #mujournal [@honigstein]

— Cherundolo: “I know this is meant to be a short-term thing for Ralf as manager at Manchester United, but I don’t be surprised to see more young players coming through the academy and the reserve team” in his short time as manager. To prepare for the long term. #mufc #mujournal [Athletic]

— De Guzman on Rangnick: “I don’t think you will hear his voice in a packed stadium like Old Trafford. He’s not loud guy who screams on the touchline, trying to coach during the game. He does his coaching on the training pitch during the week.” #mufc #mujournal [Athletic]

Nice to see Rangnick nake a point of there being absolutely no comparison between what he and Jurgen had ro work with respectively when they took over.

Which doubtless won’t stop the Twitter imbeciles and click bait mediots making it after x number of games.🤦‍♂️

But nice to hear it told straight regardless.

Rangnick obsesses about his players’ diet. His belief in the importance of nutrition was introducing individually tailored dietary plans for the players at Salzburg and Leipzig almost a decade ago! (@OliverKay /@TheAthleticUK) #mufc

I heard tubby Shaw was crying all over his takeout last night when he heard that.

But I’m not one to gossip.

#mufc Under-18s XI vs Everton U18s: Vitek; Jurado, Fredricson, Bennett, Murray; Oyedele, Mainoo; Ennis, Moorhouse, Mather; Norkett Subs: Hanbury, Aljofree, Ogunneye, McAllister, Berry