The Manchester United Thread

Good first half that. The first 35 mins was as intense as I've seen United in what feels like ages: brilliant tempo and a coordinated press. The press was so coordinated that CP just started punting the ball forward at any opportunity. After that studs up challenge from Clyne, I feel we dropped off a bit. That and we've lacked some cutting edge in the final third to have made our pressure count.

Maguire showing off that touted long passing ability of his.

It’s hard to do that as most things these days are behind a paywall. I know it can be annoying but it is how it is. And it won’t let me post full articles or even part articles as its limited to the number of characters you can post at once in here.
Use https://justpaste.it/ as i have when posting here or to friends

Good win...and our first clean sheet at Old Trafford in the league this season!

Felt like everyone was gassed that 2nd half. The intensity in term of passing and counter pressing dropped significantly which is not all that unexpected. I love the emphasis on verticality with our new 4-2-2-2 but it needs a bit more fine-tuning as I thought the attacking players weren't on the same wavelength.

Defensively, we were very sound suprisingly barring that one chance Kouyate which is a plus as we'd conceded like 5-10 chances under the PE teacher

One big negative for me was how we saw out the game. We didn't control possession at all and were rather erratic with it. Hopefully that gets ironed out to allow us see out games a bit less...frantically.

To end this one a good note, brilliant goal from Fred of all people. There was this general consensus that Fred would be the major benefactor of Rangnick and, although it's early days, it seems like it's coming to fruition.

As the Rangnick era begins, I don't expect us to be a well oiled pressing machine after just 2 days of training but I expect the identity to start to take shape. Viera has pretty much exceeded my expectations so it'll be no cake walk. With that said, since Maguire is back there, we aren't keeping a clean sheet either so I'm going for a 3-1 win.

Interesting fact: Crystal palace have won in their last 2 visits to Old Trafford. They always seem to become a different beast when they travel to Manchester.

On and on, GGMU!
Viera teams always start of good and then peter out when the awe of working with him is no longer in effect. Why on earth is he still starting the likes of Ayew and co. ill never know.

Yep good start. Could see his favoured 4222 formation off the bat and the benefits it will bring once trained properly and not after 1 training session lol.

Was very impressed with the intensity and COORDINATED press in the first half but clearly fell off in the second due to tiredness and lack of actual fitness.

Also noticed how much higher we was as a team and especially defending set pieces.

Can see McTominey being the player missing out once Pogba is back. Really happy to see Elanga get mine and Donny again. Fred can be a real player under Ragnick imo. And good to see Dalot carry on his good form.

Manchester United won possession in the final third 12 times vs. Crystal Palace. That’s the most they’ve done so in a Premier League match since Sir Alex Ferguson retired. What an impact Ralf Rangnick has made already!

Viera teams always start of good and then peter out when the awe of working with him is no longer in effect. Why on earth is he still starting the likes of Ayew and co. ill never know.
And Benteke too. He seems like a fish out of water with regards to the football he's looking to play.

For Ayew, maybe it's because he works hard? Lol

Some actual tactical talk from our manager is so refreshing!

Rangnick on McTominay and Fred in 4-2-2-2: 'Scotty and Fred are almost perfect defensively on that. There were one or two mistakes. In the first-half, two square passes - one from Scott and one from Fred. I don't like those kind of balls in midfield from those positions.' #mufc

Would like to see todays formation with Cavani replacing Rashford, Donny replacing Sancho and Pogba replacing McTominey. Then Varane to replace Linderlof.

Would like to see todays formation with Cavani replacing Rashford, Donny replacing Sancho and Pogba replacing McTominey. Then Varane to replace Linderlof.
With l how high we position ourselves, wouldn't it make sense to drop the slowest CB we have?

Also, I don't see why Lindelof has to be sacrificed here when he had such a quality game

With l how high we position ourselves, wouldn't it make sense to drop the slowest CB we have?

Also, I don't see why Lindelof has to be sacrificed here when he had such a quality game
It’s not just about pace. Yes Linderlof is quicker. But he’s also weaker and worse in the air. Also Maguire is very good at instigating pressure on to the attackers from balls lumped forward by teams trying to get out.

Blimey looking at some of the comments on twitter you would have thought that Rangnick was God or something, Yes the team played better than the last few months due in part to actually working finally as a team but lets not go too overboard. Anyone could see that the players lacked direction this season under Ole (much to the amusement of rival supporters) but this was only one game. There was after all an uplift when Ole was given the job as interim, hopefully the club won't make the same mistake as that and leave Rangnick as the interim until the end of the season and then decide.

Blimey looking at some of the comments on twitter you would have thought that Rangnick was God or something, Yes the team played better than the last few months due in part to actually working finally as a team but lets not go too overboard. Anyone could see that the players lacked direction this season under Ole (much to the amusement of rival supporters) but this was only one game. There was after all an uplift when Ole was given the job as interim, hopefully the club won't make the same mistake as that and leave Rangnick as the interim until the end of the season and then decide.
Utd need to come out and specifically clarify if it is just 6 months or else the fan clamour would go nuts if results improved through that period.

Utd need to come out and specifically clarify if it is just 6 months or else the fan clamour would go nuts if results improved through that period.
Yep mind you the way some are going on they think he has already sorted out the problem after just one game against a lower mid-table/relegation team. The only good thing that seems to have happened with the appointment is the fact Woody hasn't had anything really to do with it.

Yep mind you the way some are going on they think he has already sorted out the problem after just one game against a lower mid-table/relegation team. The only good thing that seems to have happened with the appointment is the fact Woody hasn't had anything really to do with it.
Whoever thinks that’s a moron tbh. It’s gonna take time like longer than this season tbf. But the big noticables from yesterday were very encouraging against a decent Palace side that has taken points off teams above us already and we have a bad record against recently.

There was actually a plan, clear tactics involved. A structure to the way the team was moving around the pitch in this 4222 system. That first 45 mins was better than anything I’ve watched except for maybe the odd LVG match tactically wise and cohesion wise even since Fergies later years.

Yes the second half we dropped off intensity wise but that’s gonna happen a lot this season till the end. But despite the drop off, the shape, system and control remained in tact. It’s the start of something hopefully to take us forward and look forward to and improve upon for sure!

Klopp praises the fella once and he's his mentor. Didn't you know that mate?

I do recall Klopp specifically mentioning Wolfgang Frank as his main influence so I'm shocked no one even plays the clip

BOOM! And LMAO at the first line.

Yeah, he's referenced Frank a few times now from Mainz as the coach who opened his eyes up to a whole new way of playing. And gave him the bug for being a coach and teaching. He was the one who really brought the pressing into the Bundesliga to what it is today as he was a disciple of another major influence on Jürgen. Arrigo Sacchi. Sacchi's 4-4-2 work without the ball was revolutionary to the German libero way of playing. Guys like Ragnick (who I have the utmost respect for in his similar ideals on football to Jürgen. Even if I can't personally see that translating at Utd given the mess above him. Interim, and then just a consultancy role, is not the way you go with that man. You give him the key's and let him build it from the ground up. But I'm staying clear of that as you've finally got something to look forward to), have just added little tweaks to that which naturally Klopp and others have taken from.

Just amusing me how until a week or so ago, they did nottin' but try pull Jürgen down. Now, he's got his master who Klopps a disciple of down the road and they can't help referencing Klopp every other post. 🤦🏼‍♂️

But like you opened with there, there's no accounting for the delusions of clickbait journo's and internet divvy's who bounce off them.

Those that know, KNOW. 😉 🍻

What, you dont think good ol' pashun is enough to win games?