The Manchester United Thread

From the presser:

Ten Hag confirms that Cristiano Ronaldo refused to come on against Tottenham: "Yes."

Ten Hag: "There has to be consequences. It is important for the attitude and mentality of the group. I have to set the standards and values and control them."

Ten Hag: "After Vallecano, I told him [Ronaldo] it was unacceptable [to leave early] but not him everyone, this is the second time for him, there are consequences."

He just signed a new contract with Ajax a few months ago
He’s always wanted to come back to Utd. And with a shift of things at Ajax at the top I’m not surprised by the news.

Last week, Manchester United have approached Edwin van der Sar to become their director of football. They believe he did a great job at Ajax and has really evolved in his role as DOF. [@cwoconsultancy, via @theeuropeanlad]

@cwoconsultancy on Van der Sar & #MUFC: "Two years ago he said no the time wasn’t right, now he has been approached again — Don't be surprised if he leaves. His dream has always been to be technical director of Manchester United and he is very good with Ten Hag.”

He’s always wanted to come back to Utd. And with a shift of things at Ajax at the top I’m not surprised by the news.

Last week, Manchester United have approached Edwin van der Sar to become their director of football. They believe he did a great job at Ajax and has really evolved in his role as DOF. [@cwoconsultancy, via @theeuropeanlad]

@cwoconsultancy on Van der Sar & #MUFC: "Two years ago he said no the time wasn’t right, now he has been approached again — Don't be surprised if he leaves. His dream has always been to be technical director of Manchester United and he is very good with Ten Hag.”

Again, he just signed a new contract. You really think Ajax will just let us take their CEO after signing 2 of their best players, their transfer targets, their manager and coaching staff? Might as well sign their chefs, kit men, security, ball boys, goal posts etc.

Just buy the Johan Cruijff arena while we’re at it

Any manager worth his salt would have had to have done the same mate. You can’t have that anywhere refusing ro play with no repercussions or else they’d all think they could get away with it.
You say that like it’s easy benching a player of Ronaldo’s reputation, let alone carrying out disciplinary actions on him. His petulance isn’t anything new and he’s gotten away with it, especially in the Portuguese NT but managers have always been wary to take action on it.

I am most impressed by the fact that he doesn’t buckle under external pressure with certain ex-players stating Ronaldo simply “has to play” no matter what.

Again, he just signed a new contract. You really think Ajax will just let us take their CEO after signing 2 of their best players, their transfer targets, their manager and coaching staff? Might as well sign their chefs, kit men, security, ball boys, goal posts etc.

Just buy the Johan Cruijff arena while we’re at it
He actually hasn’t signed the contract yet. And won’t till another 3 weeks due to some clause about it having to be done at the shareholders meeting as reported by De Telegraf writer Mike Verweij.

You say that like it’s easy benching a player of Ronaldo’s reputation, let alone carrying out disciplinary actions on him. His petulance isn’t anything new and he’s gotten away with it, especially in the Portuguese NT but managers have always been wary to take action on it.

I am most impressed by the fact that he doesn’t buckle under external pressure with certain ex-players stating Ronaldo simply “has to play” no matter what.

That's on the shitshow that is Utd under the Glazers that he's got away with **** for too long. And the halfwits that let him run the National side.

But any manager who garners an ounce of respect in the dressing room can't have what Ronaldo did the other night whatever the F his reputation is. Or that respect he has in the changies is gone.

This isn't open to discussion with top managers.

Since those awful first 2 games, United have P9 W6 D2 L1 and in that time played all of the rest of the big 6. Great effort.

We are close. The tactics were perfectly fine and we were able to go through there midfield with ease when we had the ball. Funnily enough today, we needed a little bit more aggression from Bruno and especially Sancho during the first half, their passing in the last third was a bit too conservative. The short corners consistently displaced their defense but the players didn't go for the low on target crosses that I'm pretty sure were instructed.

In my opinion we are very close, an actual striker, the same Bruno that we have seen during the last two games, Rashford on the left and we are in business.

Slightly worried about amount of injuries though. That celebration and passion by Casemiro at the end had me choked lol.

What are Utd 'close' to again?

Not even interested in debating what the answer is. I've had enough of football chat this weekend.

Just curious as I'm sat here reading with a brew and thought the answer might cheer me up.

What are Utd 'close' to again?

Not even interested in debating what the answer is. I've had enough of football chat this weekend.

Just curious as I'm sat here reading with a brew and thought the answer might cheer me up.

Close to being a slightly entertaining watch when you've got the time.

I’m a bit nervous about Varane’s injury but I can see an actual structure starting to take place.
Again, I love how we can actually go toe to toe with some big teams compared to ole-ball