The Manchester United Thread

xG less than 3. United gifted this one, they were diabolical in the 2nd half. Spineless.
Yep. Watched the replay this morning before work. So many goals conceded by giving away stupid possession with p iss poor passing. Pool took full advantage and didn’t even have to play well tbh. And Bruno and Rashford can’t be missing sitters like they did in the first half in games like this. We should of gone in ahead.

xG less than 3. United gifted this one, they were diabolical in the 2nd half. Spineless.

I’ve stayed away from proper skitting Utd as I feel the pain and shame you’re feeling.I mean I’m not only on cloud 9 this AM, I’m floating above the International Space Station! But to be on the other side of that ….. To be utterly humiliated, in a PROPER doing, well arguably the worst defeat your clubs ever had, at the single worst ground possible for Utd, against the single worst team possible ….. Fair F’s to the few Utd fans left at the final whistle because if that was roles reversed at Old Trafford, I’d have been gone and been back in town for the first train home at 4. Probably at 3. With my head down for the rest of the week. No matter what happens in the future between our two great clubs, we’ll always have ‘Remember that day we walloped Utd SEVEN …..’

So I totally feel your pain this morning.

But on the spineless thing …..

We saw a proper nasty side out of Utd yesterday that started well before things got out of hand. Facilitated by Madley who was abysmal in the middle by letting shocking early challenges go unpunished. Which just allowed the S to fester. And then he booked Fabinho for his first F challenge! (And Rashford wants retrospectively banning for feigning a head injury first half, then getting up unscathed when he realised play had gone on and we were attacking down the other end. That S is making a mockery of actual concussions and players need hitting hard over it.).

And as disgraceful in that as Martinez and co were, I have to ask …..

Just how the F is that little shithouse Fernandes your captain? A leader of men he most certainly is not!

To say he was truly pathetic yesterday is an understatement. And its not the first time when things aren’t going for Utd. I've come to fully expect the diving and feigning injury but his actions through the whole game were truly amateurish. The kick out at Robbo and subsequent shove of the Assistant Ref showed his typical petulance and should have earned him an early trip to the changies. The dive where he kicked Alison on his way by and then bayaed for a pen/card was only matched by his facial injury where the Konates hand touched his chest and didn't get anywhere near his face like the rat grabbed and went down like he’d been shot. The only shocking part of the day was that he managed to actually stay in his feet as much as he did for the last fifteen minutes or so.

And to top it off, he was throwing his arms in the air and narking at every other player bar himself!

For all the great changes ten Hags made, that is a proper weird one given such a flakey temperament player the armband.

Last edited:
I had one too many last night at the pub but why wouldn’t I? Born into a family with city, Liverpool and arsenal fans, you know I’m going to need lots of it. I was quite upset waking up sober to about 53 texts from so and so sending memes and “lovely” banter.

Where do I even begin? The first half was okay. Liverpool scored when I thought we were starting to create chances. Even scored an offside goal shortly before Gakpo scored (brilliant effort btw). Going into halftime, I remember telling my mates I was “encouraged” by what I’ve seen so far and hopefully we can keep on doing what we’ve been doing. In the 2nd half, the players might as well not have even showed up. We got overzealous with the amount of players we pushed forward in trying to find a goal and got battered on the counter. A bit of a naive thing to do at anfield. Before we knew it, we were 4-0 down and heads dropped. Liverpool were extremely clinical with their opportunities and punished us without mercy. Bruno Fernandes, in times like this, is probably the worst choice to be captain. Casemiro put up his worst game in a red shirt and our defense was shambolic after the 2nd goal. Part of me wonders if Varane was fully fit after the injury scare.

Ten Hag also needs to take some blame here. Not sure what the half time talk looked like but it sure as **** made the players much worse. The reality is he’s overseen our joint worst defeat in the club’s history. There’s losing to liverpool (which is fine) and there’s losing 7-0. Unforgivable if you ask me as I’ll never hear the end of it in years to come.

Sounds like ETH is going along the Ferguson way of discipline. He made the players sit in silence in the dressing room listening to the Liverpool celebrations (both the fans and team) before giving them the 'hairdryer' treatment. I dread to think what plans he has for them on the training ground but it's safe to say they won't be allowed to forget in a hurry.

Sounds like ETH is going along the Ferguson way of discipline. He made the players sit in silence in the dressing room listening to the Liverpool celebrations (both the fans and team) before giving them the 'hairdryer' treatment. I dread to think what plans he has for them on the training ground but it's safe to say they won't be allowed to forget in a hurry.
It won’t be running 14k extra after training that’s for sure and if he does then he’s only making things worse for himself.

It won’t be running 14k extra after training that’s for sure and if he does then he’s only making things worse for himself.
Another 14k run would be a mistake it would not serve to boost morale this time, the silent treatment followed by the words after the game should be enough to make them think now he needs to get them back to basics and get them focussed on what they have been getting right over the last few months.

Should have a look at himself.

Playing a yard dog lump of a CF as a 10 has to be seen live to be believed.

Should have a look at himself.

Playing a yard dog lump of a CF as a 10 has to be seen live to be believed.
He will have accepted he has made mistakes but to lay the blame on the CF is not the problem there was a far bigger culprit in the form of the captain on the night. Bruno is a 'fair weather' captain to be honest if things are going right for him it's not a problem but he can't boost morale of his team mates when things aren't going his way, he lost the team yesterday and the scoreline reflected that.

He will have accepted he has made mistakes but to lay the blame on the CF is not the problem there was a far bigger culprit in the form of the captain on the night. Bruno is a 'fair weather' captain to be honest if things are going right for him it's not a problem but he can't boost morale of his team mates when things aren't going his way, he lost the team yesterday and the scoreline reflected that.
Bruno didn’t award himself the armband mate. Maybe look to the guy that gave him the armband to begin with.

Also, the weghorst at #10 experiment needs to die. It’s only worked once at camp nou (much can be attributed to the element of surprise)

FA have confirmed that no action will be taken against Fernandes because it was spotted by referee Andy Madley and his assistants and was not included in their report.

When will the time come and they have balls to give retrospective fines or bans ( This goes also to dives, fouls, stupid stuff...)

He will have accepted he has made mistakes but to lay the blame on the CF is not the problem …..

Oh, I wasn’t putting the blame on that mate.

I was observing that actually seeing the least technically gifted Dutchman I can remember over here since Erik Meijer, playing as a 10, up close and personal live; is even more jaw droopingly staggering than seeing it on the telly.

Although someone in here did claim he’d score more goals than Darwin the rest of this season so yanno’, there may be hope for him yet!

I gotta agree with Scouse, these weird kindergarten 'punishments' are just a cheap way of placating the fans. But this ain't kindergarten and stuff like this won't fly with the squad for very long. Or maybe ETH should give himself a silent treatment for messing up the tactics.

Some information on Kleyn from two years ago via TGG.

TGG: "Kleyn, who has worked for the club since September 2017, revealed that the club use three ‘waves’ of metrics to measure team performance: traditional event data, XY data and tracking data."

"Each is "useful for different reasons" and has "a varying level of complexity”, meaning that “from a data point of view, what we were able to do very quickly was to apply our first team data model to our B team,” Kleyn explained."

“This was really powerful," he added, "because it provided use with a ready-made tool to check that transition tactically. It allows us to use internal comparisons, so we can compare the first team with key metrics to the B team and interpret the differences.”

"Kleyn, who worked for Norwich for three years before joining the Saints, used pressing metrics in his presentation to illustrate how the B team, who play in Premier League 2, has become more closely aligned tactically to Hasenhuttl's first team than the U23s were previously."

The high press is fundamental to Hasenhuttl’s style of play, as enshrined in the Southampton Playbook.

"The diagram below compares the pressing of the first team and U23s last season, with red indicating a high amount of defensive pressure and blue a low amount of defensive pressure. As you can see, there were major differences in what is a fundamental of Southampton's senior style of play."

"What we’re seeing here is that the U23s became the B team who were immediately able to show that they were capable of more aggressive pressing style of play this season."

His job at Southampton was to align the first team and B team tactically via advanced data metrics. So basically his job was to align Hassenhüttl's high pressing play style with how the B team played.

For anyone interested, below is short video of Kleyn explaining his work.

I gotta agree with Scouse, these weird kindergarten 'punishments' are just a cheap way of placating the fans. But this ain't kindergarten and stuff like this won't fly with the squad for very long. Or maybe ETH should give himself a silent treatment for messing up the tactics.
I wouldn't call it kindergarten 'punishments' I can guarantee it will only be used once which should be enough just as the 14k run at the start of the season, other managers have used it in the past to get a point across (at least he didn't have them all sat in a circle like Phil Brown did with the Hull team in 2008 after a first half mauling by Man City that was kindergarden level), as for giving himself the silent treatment for messing up I'm sure he was also sat in silence listening and reflecting. The team were humiliated but believe me listening to one of your greatest rivals celebrating will have hurt even more than the 7-0 scoreline.