The Manchester United Thread

Unlucky lads great tournament and final well worth £6 to watch.

FT

Dinamo 3-2 United (Devaney, Thwaites)

Dinamo scored in the last few mins to win and avoid a penalty shootout. This u18s team gonna be the one to beat again at this level this season.

Elyh Harrison wins the best goalkeeper award at the Under-19s tournament called Mladen Ramljak in Zagreb for the second consecutive year.
🧤
Fantastic performance by #MUFC's no. 1 in the final, the super-talented Harrison made more than a few saves!
🇾🇪
#MUAcademy

Nothing we didn’t know mate tbh. Not arsed about the result but all things considered I thought it was another encouraging run out with further signs of improvement on the pressing game a lot of teams will struggle with this season. Mixed in again with some nice play that led to a hat full of chances, which I’m still shocked we didn’t bag a few goals.

More encouraging signs from the likes of Collyer and Amass who look to be the next in line breaking through to the first team squad.

After the tour I’m very optimistic going into the new season with the new additions made so far and the ones that are likely to come in. Buzzing for the rest of the squad to finally all be together starting Monday. So we can get them up to speed on how this new coaching regime wants them to play.
To be honest we all know Casemiro 's legs have gone, but until he accepts it himself and takes a paycut or some club which plays at a slower and lower standard comes in with a offer with wages acceptable to him then he isn't going anywhere. Shame the club didn't take the Saudi money in January but that's by the by.

Also the squad was missing a raft of players who are either coming back from long term injury or whom spent much of the summer representing their countries. You don't win anything in pre-season games just bragging rights, even the most hardened fan would rather see their team beating their rivals in a league or cup game than in what is effect a training session. There were positives on show and if they can find away of putting the chances into the net (remember there were no out and out strikers in the side due to Hojlund's injury and Zirkzee not joining up with the squad) then it won't be so much of a worry going forward.
I agree, but other than Bruno and Mainoo, no one else is good/fit enough.
You don't need pure DM like Casemiro, just someone mobile and defensively solid enough to track his player.

You don't need pure DM like Casemiro, just someone mobile and defensively solid enough to track his player.
If they get the players they are supposed to be going for there will be the midfielders the season hasn't started yet and until it has we do not know as supporters how it's going to pan out. It's a shame Yoro and Hojlund have got injured (Yoro is a bigger concern) but there are still players (admittedly not world class but Leicester City proved you don't have to be world class to win things) who can make a difference.

I think Mounts good enough and Collyer could be. But I agree the likes of Eriksen, Casemiro, McTominey, Hannibal are not against most teams in the Prem. Most likely why we are looking to bring in Ugarte and Amarabat. Then hopefully the rest we won’t have to see much of in a starting sense.

If they get the players they are supposed to be going for there will be the midfielders the season hasn't started yet and until it has we do not know as supporters how it's going to pan out. It's a shame Yoro and Hojlund have got injured (Yoro is a bigger concern) but there are still players (admittedly not world class but Leicester City proved you don't have to be world class to win things) who can make a difference.
Leicester was an anomaly, outlier. However, their system was really good and made their player look better than they really are. And that's the way it should be. Build a system and fit players into it.
It is not sustainable to spend big money on every position and it is not healthy. Sign of a great manager/coach is moulding average players to shine in his system.
However, United is lacking personnel, bodies. Eriksen is not defensive minded, Bruno even less, Mount is good in high press, Mainoo is decent at best, as well as McTominay. Midfield is paper thin and I hope EtH get some help there.

I think Mounts good enough and Collyer could be. But I agree the likes of Eriksen, Casemiro, McTominey, Hannibal are not against most teams in the Prem. Most likely why we are looking to bring in Ugarte and Amarabat. Then hopefully the rest we won’t have to see much of in a starting sense.
Mount is perfect for high press, defending 'high'. But if he gets bypassed than, like in last season, it is really dangerous, running at defenders is something United struggle against.

Mount is perfect for high press, defending 'high'. But if he gets bypassed than, like in last season, it is really dangerous, running at defenders is something United struggle against.
Yeah agree on that last season. We simply didn’t and still don’t in some positions personnel wise now. But have been encouraged during pre season at how much better it’s been both in a starting sense and co ordinated sense. Hopefully come seasons starts at Fulham we will have our squad in order to start from the off and pick up some good early points.

Yeah agree on that last season. We simply didn’t and still don’t in some positions personnel wise now. But have been encouraged during pre season at how much better it’s been both in a starting sense and co ordinated sense. Hopefully come seasons starts at Fulham we will have our squad in order to start from the off and pick up some good early points.
Yeah, would be really nice having full squad at preseason, but the guys who where there and most of the football they were playing was good.

Yeah, would be really nice having full squad at preseason, but the guys who where there and most of the football they were playing was good.
Looking at the squad/potential squad there’s still a hella lot of work need doing to it. I would literally only keep going forward after this summer.

Onana, Bayandir, Dalot, Mazzaroui, Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez, Amass, Malacia, Mainoo, Collyer, Ugarte, Bruno, Mount, Garnacho, Amad, Hojlund, Zirkzee.

That’s 18 players nowhere near good enough squad wise to compete on all fronts!

It also still leaves Heaton, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, Shaw, Eriksen, McTominey, Casemiro, Hannibal, Pellistri, Sancho, Rashford, Antony all need moving on.

Your still looking at this 2 summers inc this one and the upcoming winter one to clear that out. Maybe longer to replace them. Lucky thing is a lot are out of contract soon which should help.

Looking at the squad/potential squad there’s still a hella lot of work need doing to it. I would literally only keep going forward after this summer.

Onana, Bayandir, Dalot, Mazzaroui, Yoro, De Ligt, Martinez, Amass, Malacia, Mainoo, Collyer, Ugarte, Bruno, Mount, Garnacho, Amad, Hojlund, Zirkzee.

It also still leaves Heaton, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Evans, Shaw, Eriksen, McTominey, Casemiro, Hannibal, Pellistri, Sancho, Rashford, Antony all need moving on.

Your still looking at this 2 summers inc this one and the upcoming winter one to clear that out. Maybe longer to replace them. Lucky thing is a lot are out of contract soon which should help.
I would trim that list even further. Lots of ifs and buts there. Like, all we want to see is clear progress and some good football with it.

Indeed. The scoreline flattered Liverpool a lot but idc much for a friendly scoreline: the young lads impressed me, particularly Amass. The let downs were actually the more experienced players ironically

I disagree. We need squad players. I’d say in a 25 man squad on average, you need 18 players you can rely on. You want 7 players that can replace counterparts in the starting 11 and not skip a beat.

I disagree. We need squad players. I’d say in a 25 man squad on average, you need 18 players you can rely on. You want 7 players that can replace counterparts in the starting 11 and not skip a beat.
We do need squad players but non of the ones I would get rid of are good enough or can play the way we would like to not skip a beat as you say.

Exactly (Leicester). A well drilled team all working hard and playing together in a system beats individual talent any day

Exactly (Leicester). A well drilled team all working hard and playing together in a system beats individual talent any day

Which is sound. But you still don’t have any real structure or identity. Aside from, and there is a month of the window to go so they have time (or this week if they want to improve things for Fulham), an even worse squad by deduction than one that finished 8th last year. And now he’s on about playing Sancho up front as an answer? 🤦‍♂️

This pre-season has shown little different to last. Even Sat’day, chances weren’t coming from Utds play and structure. Just opportunism from sloppy opposition passing/ mistakes. Even the man-to-marking press he used against us last year fell apart when Jones slightly altered his position and we could play through you at will.

MASSIVE week for INEOS to help the manager. Because right now, if you’re Fulham, you’re not scared at all about the opener with the squad as poor as it is. Even with those to return. I don’ personally rate ten Hag as a coach. (Like I say, 3 years in and F onows what Utds identity is? 🤷🏼‍♂️). But if he’s forced to go i to a season with virtually the same squad as last year, knowing the first XI is nowhere near good enough to compete. Let alone the inconsistent mess behind them, thats on Ratcliffe and co.

BIG month ahead.

This pre-season has shown little different to last. Even Sat’day, chances weren’t coming from Utds play and structure. Just opportunism from sloppy opposition passing/ mistakes. Even the man-to-marking press he used against us last year fell apart when Jones slightly altered his position and we could play through you at will.
I could say the same thing about Liverpool’s first 2 goals 🤷🏽‍♂️