The Manchester United Thread

ManUtd will introduce Mata tomorrow at 1:30 PM. It's almost given that he will take #7 shirt. Finally a star player to take the famous #7, it was hard to see Owen and Valencia having that number.

Fellaini is close to return, I think he is fit for Cardiff game so is Rooney and RVP is very close to full fitness. We should finish the season strongly with all the players returning and with Mata. We lacked someone to play perfect pass in the final third when Rooney is not playing and Mata would fit the bill superbly.

Can't wait for the cardiff game. Mata debut, Rooney returning, Ole back to premier league, Eikrem, Mats Moller playing for Cardiff. I'm just hoping we will finally start getting positive results.

I don't want to be a pessimist but you can have all the talent in the world in the final third of the pitch, if you don't have someone in the middle who can distribute the possession to them, makes them much less effective. But more importantly a game is controlled in the middle of the park.

This window isn't a successful one until we've addressed a weakness. A luxury signing gives everyone a boost... sure... but we'll have the same problems.

Last edited:
@sunil - the da Silva twins didn't "start training" with united at age 14, they had a couple of training sessions in '05 when they were 14-15 because the club wanted to take a closer look at them. They stayed on Fluminense's books until 2008, when they went back to the UK, and had to wait a few weeks to actually play because they weren't allowed to do so until they were 18.

In short, no, they're not united academy products.

@sunil - the da Silva twins didn't "start training" with united at age 14, they had a couple of training sessions in '05 when they were 14-15 because the club wanted to take a closer look at them. They stayed on Fluminense's books until 2008, when they went back to the UK, and had to wait a few weeks to actually play because they weren't allowed to do so until they were 18.

But they've been at the club since they were 18 years old, and thus qualify for home-grown status, which is still relatively good.

Somone just posted a tweet from some german journo/itk saying that Gundogan will never fully recover from his back injury which is a problem with his discs slipping and something to do with his vertabrea, will only ever be able to manage problem which is called Spondylolisthesis. Maybe that's why Moyes is now switching his attentions to Vidal,Hamsik,Kroos,Carvalho.

RVP took 20 to represent helping United win 20 league titles. Mata takes 7 to represent ... your league position? #joke

Good on Mata to get that shirt in all seriousness, he deserves that sort of recognition after all the great performances he has given in the EPL. Finally all those deluded people can stop saying he is inferior to Silva

RVP took 20 to represent helping United win 20 league titles. Mata takes 7 to represent ... your league position? #joke

Good on Mata to get that shirt in all seriousness, he deserves that sort of recognition after all the great performances he has given in the EPL. Finally all those deluded people can stop saying he is inferior to Silva

I would still think David Silva is marginally better than Mata, but that's more preference than a knock on the latter.

I would still think David Silva is marginally better than Mata, but that's more preference than a knock on the latter.

I agree. Mata is a fantastic player, no question, and I don't really know what it is but I've just always enjoyed watching Silva more.

I agree. Mata is a fantastic player, no question, and I don't really know what it is but I've just always enjoyed watching Silva more.

Maybe its my own biased view but Mata is better than Silva imo. With a proper striker to feed now, he can truly go onto fulfill his potential. Juan is a special player. Best No.10 in the world according to me

I know they didn't play any games for academy but Gary Neville said they both used to train (not just couple of session) with ManUtd since they were 14.

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/414424527712821248

Gary Neville counted them as academy players.

I know they didn't play any games for academy but Gary Neville said they both used to train (not just couple of session) with ManUtd since they were 14.

https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/414424527712821248

Gary Neville counted them as academy players.

Hard to train consistently with the academy when you're in Brazil, though. They stayed there until they were 17. It's something you can easily check, really. I'm clueless as to how Neville missed that one.

Maybe its my own biased view but Mata is better than Silva imo. With a proper striker to feed now, he can truly go onto fulfill his potential. Juan is a special player. Best No.10 in the world according to me

Unless Rooney is on his way out, Mata won't be playing as 10 though. He's not that good on the wing and his lack of defensive contribution will be extra burden . So there's that.

I like how everyone is suddenly so concerned with his defensive contribution. Well played, Jose. Well played.

I like how everyone is suddenly so concerned with his defensive contribution. Well played, Jose. Well played.

Indeed, it's actually quite funny. Because of course we are usually well covered defensively by our wingers....

Back