The Manchester United Thread

Indeed, it's actually quite funny. Because of course we are usually well covered defensively by our wingers....

He's not even a lazy player by any stretch of the imagination. He used to run Chelsea in his first season, FROM THE RIGHT WING.

I wouldn't be so concerned since he spent most of his career actually playing on the wing.

There is a strange obsession about this. Which is bizarre since he formed his career on the wing, is happy playing all three positions as he says, and its outwide that Spain use him.

You hear the same nonsense about Cazorla too. Players like those and Silva, worry less about where they start, and more about where they can move to. Given that Rooney drifts into the left channel, that's ideal for Mata.

It's really not. Unless you are somehow trying argue to Mata isnt better outwide than our current options.

So we broke our transfer record to play Mata on the flanks? Sounds like Kagawa all over again.

This is why I still don't get how we're going to facilitate this, Moyes has the tactical nous to do it as well?

So we broke our transfer record to play Mata on the flanks? Sounds like Kagawa all over again.

This is why I still don't get how we're going to facilitate this, Moyes has the tactical nous to do it as well?

I take you never watched him for Spain, or watched him before halfway through his first season at Chelsea?

And yes, Moyes does. Have you ever watched his left flank at Everton? It was probably one of the deadliest things going till Pienaar wanted out. Why do you think he is also willing to spend so much on Shaw to replace Evra?

There is a strange obsession about this. Which is bizarre since he formed his career on the wing, is happy playing all three positions as he says, and its outwide that Spain use him.

You hear the same nonsense about Cazorla too. Players like those and Silva, worry less about where they start, and more about where they can move to. Given that Rooney drifts into the left channel, that's ideal for Mata.

Worked well at Valencia in 2008/09 and the following season. Mata on the left, David Silva central and Joaqu?n on the right. Silva's natural tendency to drift to the left allowed Mata to come into the centre behind David Villa, or swap wings with Joaqu?n, as he liked to cut inside with the ball as Miguel overlapped.

He has great versatility in this respect, and what's more is that he's consistent in all three positions. I don't see the issue.

Worked well at Valencia in 2008/09 and the following season. Mata on the left, David Silva central and Joaqu?n on the right. Silva's natural tendency to drift to the left allowed Mata to come into the centre behind David Villa, or swap wings with Joaqu?n, as he liked to cut inside with the ball as Miguel overlapped.

He has great versatility in this respect, and what's more is that he's consistent in all three positions. I don't see the issue.

There isn't one. Its only in England this "issue" appears, ignoring the history of what made said players so good in the first place.

I take you never watched him for Spain, or watched him before halfway through his first season at Chelsea?

And yes, Moyes does. Have you ever watched his left flank at Everton? It was probably one of the deadliest things going till Pienaar wanted out. Why do you think he is also willing to spend so much on Shaw to replace Evra?

Yes obviously, I'm not one of the people moaning about Mata's defensive capabilities all of a sudden jsut because the "Annoying" one has brought it up, so it must be right.

Anyway, I love Mata, as a person he seems great and as a player obviously. This signing is a luxury one though. He's going to be at the expense of 1/2 players. My guess is it's good bye Kagawa and Young at the end of season. Can't keep Rooney out... can't keep RVP out... can't keep our player of season so far (Januzaj) out too much either, even though he does need a rest.

My point is how do you fit him in amongst all these plethora of talent! Unless you just dispose of a player.

Which it has done. No doubting that whatsoever.

I don't see how he will be much of an improvement over Kagawa down the left. Which works so good most of the time he doesn't play.

Most of the time not being nearly as good as he is in the middle.

In fairness, since joining Chelsea in 2011/12, Mata has scored 16 goals and got 20 assists in all competitions on both wings, excluding the middle. He can play efficiently on the flanks.

Yes obviously, I'm not one of the people moaning about Mata's defensive capabilities all of a sudden jsut because the "Annoying" one has brought it up, so it must be right.

Anyway, I love Mata, as a person he seems great and as a player obviously. This signing is a luxury one though. He's going to be at the expense of 1/2 players. My guess is it's good bye Kagawa and Young at the end of season. Can't keep Rooney out... can't keep RVP out... can't keep our player of season so far (Januzaj) out too much either, even though he does need a rest.

My point is how do you fit him in amongst all these plethora of talent! Unless you just dispose of a player.

Mata is certainly no luxury. He is one of several key areas of renewal. Of course you can keep Januzaj out, needs a rest and can play either flank

You do what we did 2006-2009. Got your key players and strong "understudies", you rotate, keep em fresh without losing quality, you allow yourself to be covered in case one of your big players gets hurt.

He's going to be at the expense of Young. NOOOOO WHATEVER SHALL WE DO??

I don't see how he will be much of an improvement over Kagawa down the left. Which works so good most of the time he doesn't play.

Because Mata is pretty ******* awesome down the left. Has been for since, well, forever. Chelsea bought for his ability down the left and through the middle.

Most of the time not being nearly as good as he is in the middle.

Considering he's only had 1 season where he actually played as a CAM, and he's only 25, good luck trying to prove that the upturn was positional related and not just his age improvement as a player.

And even if he is better as a 10, it's utterly irrelevant since he's proven his ability on the wings, it's where he aims to be for the Spain team, he's said himself that he's comfortable in any of the 3 positions behind the striker, and football is about maximising the team's potential rather than maximising individuals and hoping they gel. I sincerely doubt there's a winger available that suits Moyes' tactics better than Mata.

In fact, Mata spent the majority of his first season at Chelsea playing on the left and right, and ended up with 11 goals and 17 assists in 35 league games alone.

Back