The Manchester United Thread

The problem with this post is that you have already decided he will fail. No one actually knows. So it lacks credibility. You're making a decision on something that isn't known for certain.

What happens if the club has an excellent end of season, and everyone fully buys into what he does? You still want him sacked then?

1. Its not as if I have no reasons to base my "decision".
2. Wanna bet he ll fail? I dont want him to I really dont. I dont care about him I care about UTD. But he will fail or Ill publicly eat my hat or summat.

lol what? When we first got AVB and he insisted on playing Mata on the left, young Juan would constantly drift inside leaving Cole 2v1. It happened an unbelievable amount of times and we conceded an insane amount of crosses because of it. I can dig the stats out later if you want but trust me: even though I think he's brilliant, there's no way Mata's lack of defending wasn't noticed before this seasob.

Of course, whether having someone like that in the team is offset by his creative contribution is another Mata (☜(゚ヮ゚☜) ) entirely...

Its interesting really ... I think Benitez figured out how to get the best from him by totally relieving him of his defensive duties and giving him complete creative freedom in a #10 role with wingers on both flankers having to do most of the dirty defensive work by dropping back to form 2 banks of 4 when the team didn't have the ball. Something that will never happen under Mourinho or United

Then again Mata produced some unbelievable numbers and performances and dragged Chelsea over the top 4 line. I don't know whether he is someone who can win a title though with a team built around him as Benitez did

Well, I wouldn't say it wasn't an issue, lack of defensive work of midfield trio was a major problem under Di Mateo. Benitez found a workaround by always including runner (Moses) along with Hazard and Mata. Add the fact that Azpilicueta+Cole>Evra+Rafael, and defensively Chelsea found some kind of balance - still fragile, but good enough for top 3 finish.

Mata on the wing can definitely be effective but the side needs to be balanced by other means. Like Mike said, having someone with 3 lungs on the other wing would definitely help, someone like younger Giggs or like Kuyt was for Liverpool, just running up and down like a freak for 90 minutes.

Another thing is, Mata on the right wing will drift inside and Rooney sometimes likes to drift to the left, and more often then not, it leaves gigantic hole on the right. And when you put Mata on the left you have RVP whining people play in his space since he also likes to drift to the left.

That needs to be figured out as well.

The simple solution is actually to create some kind of competent midfield again.

All I've gleaned from the last few pages is that some people are actually advocating playing Mata at CM.

I think it's a great idea! Playing a person dropped by Mourinho for his poor defensive play (in attack and often on the wing, let alone in the actual centre of midfield!) at CM? It's sheer genius.

All I've gleaned from the last few pages is that some people are actually advocating playing Mata at CM.

I think it's a great idea! Playing a person dropped by Mourinho for his poor defensive play (in attack and often on the wing, let alone in the actual centre of midfield!) at CM? It's sheer genius.

Something Sherwood would do, bring on the 4-4-2!

lol. Was never an issue or even noticed until Jose made that statement.

Sad that you weren't around for it. I used to be more at wagnh (chelsea site) than this forum. I think everyone who had a brain to analyze tactics knew that.

It gets amusing how you point that out every time I mention that.

It was evident that he did ballwatching and it would get every human frustrated when your team's in a turmoil, ffs.

lol what? When we first got AVB and he insisted on playing Mata on the left, young Juan would constantly drift inside leaving Cole 2v1. It happened an unbelievable amount of times and we conceded an insane amount of crosses because of it. I can dig the stats out later if you want but trust me: even though I think he's brilliant, there's no way Mata's lack of defending wasn't noticed before this seasob.

Of course, whether having someone like that in the team is offset by his creative contribution is another Mata (☜(゚ヮ゚☜) ) entirely...

Sad that you weren't around for it. I used to be more at wagnh (chelsea site) than this forum. I think everyone who had a brain to analyze tactics knew that.

It was evident that he did ballwatching and it would get every human frustrated when your team's in a turmoil, ffs.

When Mata was with Chelsea and creating chances we had Chelsea fans arguing he is the best player in the league and also in his first season he was compared with Silva and now when Mata's name is mentioned his lack of defensive work is highlighted.. Laughable really.

When Mata was with Chelsea and creating chances we had Chelsea fans arguing he is the best player in the league and also in his first season he was compared with Silva and now when Mata's name is mentioned his lack of defensive work is highlighted.. Laughable really.

Yes because he was our best player by a country mile and was dragging the team along on his own so his lack of defensive work was easily overlooked/forgiven then

lol.

A lack of pace does not mean he is out position. You do not have to be super quick playing out on the flanks. You can actually mix and match, much like Spain do (creativity on one flank, outright pace on the other). You can quite easily have play Mata on one flank, Welbeck on the other.

Mata has never played as a central mid. That is the definition of out of position.

Thinking about players dropping deep and playing just like a CM makes anyone think what a good CM can do to this team. Maybe 2 CMs who can push up and allow Mata, Rooney to concentrate on attacking rather than worrying about dropping deep to carry ball forward.

Wish we had another Scholes in the ranks.

Well, I wouldn't say it wasn't an issue, lack of defensive work of midfield trio was a major problem under Di Mateo. Benitez found a workaround by always including runner (Moses) along with Hazard and Mata. Add the fact that Azpilicueta+Cole>Evra+Rafael, and defensively Chelsea found some kind of balance - still fragile, but good enough for top 3 finish.

Mata on the wing can definitely be effective but the side needs to be balanced by other means. Like Mike said, having someone with 3 lungs on the other wing would definitely help, someone like younger Giggs or like Kuyt was for Liverpool, just running up and down like a freak for 90 minutes.

Another thing is, Mata on the right wing will drift inside and Rooney sometimes likes to drift to the left, and more often then not, it leaves gigantic hole on the right. And when you put Mata on the left you have RVP whining people play in his space since he also likes to drift to the left.

That needs to be figured out as well.

Or to put it in simple terms, moving Mata to play behind the striker helped Chelsea immensely and it made them to finish 3rd after struggling whole season and win Europa league.

Before that Mata playing as winger didn't have much impact as they somehow won CL.

I'm not saying Mata is not a defensive liability, well most attackers are. Just that the way few have changed their view on Mata after Jose said something in press. It's laughable when he was lauded as the best player in the league last season now Mata is defensive liability.

Also for the rest of your post, IMO getting Nani back to form is the answer. He is good defensively, way good than people give credit for and he just drifts all over the place from left to right wing everytime. We need someone like him who is flexible to play anywhere and change positions everytime.

Oh like Mike said, getting a proper midfielder would be the start obviously, you need a good defense for attackers to play express themselves.

Re, the runner on the other wing, maybe Valencia :P

BlandEarlyAustraliancurlew.gif

Last edited:
Or to put it in simple terms, moving Mata to play behind the striker helped Chelsea immensely and it made them to finish 3rd after struggling whole season and win Europa league.

Before that Mata playing as winger didn't have much impact as they somehow won CL.

I'm not saying Mata is not a defensive liability, well most attackers are. Just that the way few have changed their view on Mata after Jose said something in press. It's laughable when he was lauded as the best player in the league last season now Mata is defensive liability.

Also for the rest of your post, IMO getting Nani back to form is the answer. He is good defensively, way good than people give credit for and he just drifts all over the place from left to right wing everytime. We need someone like him who is flexible to play anywhere and change positions everytime.

Oh like Mike said, getting a proper midfielder would be the start obviously, you need a good defense for attackers to play express themselves.

Re, the runner on the other wing, maybe Valencia :P

BlandEarlyAustraliancurlew.gif

all true, i think nani should be given one last chance in april....but wtf was valencia doing (in the gif) - everyone apart from him seems to have spotted van persie!

I love the revisionism around Mata. He has never been amazing defensive, but he was half decent. But then you didn't buy Mata to put a defensive shift primarily, he was there because he is a lethal creator. Benitez moved him primarily because the Chelsea midfield was so horribly unbalanced ( in fact it has only regained balance with the arrival of Matic), he couldnt really afford to have a floaty player out on the flank, and because it would allow Mata to dominate the game. Jose froze him out because Jose likes quite specific players on his flanks.

When you consider the number of wide playmakers in the premiership, it's bemusing how Mata is constantly hit with this tag (after Jose brought it up). Silva? Nasri? Cazorla?

The simple thing is: if you build a balanced midfield, it matters a **** of a lot less.

Silva presses amazingly. In Hull game, it was evident how he was helping his team in every aspect after being down to ten.

And yes, the major reason is also that Jose intends to use his no.10 differently than the likes of Mata, Cazorla operate. Somewhat like Kroos.

I'll admit that Jose's criticism of Mata's defensive ability has resulted in everyone paying attention to, but would've happened if say Guus Hiddink, or any other manager with reputation had done it. (Except FSW)

I don't want this to turn into a thread with discussions regarding Chelsea and it's player but Mata did not help his cause, at all. He had 3rd highest minutes among Chelsea AMs, out of 6, he did not produce. Azpilicueta was looking like he was completely sidelines, got his chances and now he's a key member.

De Bruyne was same case as Mata, but no one paid attention because, duh.

Also what most people over look is, no Chelsea fan would've bought Jose's criticism for Mata if he didn't have a perfect example in Oscar was to how he wants his no.10 to play.

Last edited:
Back