The Manchester United Thread

Moyes: "We go into the game knowing that on our day we're as good as anyone."

About time he showed some positivity.

EDIT: I love Ryan Giggs.

"We don't see ourselves as underdogs. We're United playing at home in the Champions League. We're looking forward to it."

Last edited:
Moyes: "We go into the game knowing that on our day we're as good as anyone."

About time he showed some positivity.

Good to see a bit of rallying from Moyes. Shame he's talking bollocks, really.

United are 11/2 to win tomorrow bayern are 4/9 I never ever thought I would see the day when united are that long at home

I see Kroos signed a new deal. What a surprise lol.
Not quite true. What he said is that Kroos will be there next season. But of course, one way or another he would say that. We just have to wait till he inevitably signs a new contract officially

Not quite true. What he said is that Kroos will be there next season. But of course, one way or another he would say that. We just have to wait till he inevitably signs a new contract officially
Yeah that's how I read it tbh mate. Will be interesting summer! :)

Nothing's changed regarding Kroos other than him gaining a little bit of a bargaining tool. Bayern won't want to lose face on this.

Link, incase anyone still wants it.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/03/31/4721853/

Oh well, Gundogan and Carvalho are still feasible targets, although I somehow doubt we'll get Carvalho. Btw, does anyone else think we should approach for Kovacic?

United shouldn't be anywhere near Gundogan. He hasn't played for months and there's rumours that his back injury could be career-threatening. As for Carvalho, he's a talented but raw player who will cost an absolute ton.

Kovacic is a player in flux. He used to be an AMC, but Inter are now playing him as a deeper CM, and he doesn't look wholly comfortable. He's got plenty of talent, but Inter trying to make him a jack of all trades has resulted in him being a master of none. Positionally he's poor - always has been - but more worringly he's been less able to influence the game offensively. Still a talented player and a great dribbler but he's not the kind of player United need.

Actually, La-Liga would be a better fit for Cleverley. He may not come to haunt us if he gets a magic touch back, and besides, his current game would be golden over there..

But even then, I still feel he can be kept for one more season and see what can be made of him.
La Liga? Really? I know he's a decent passer of the ball (well, he's decent at dictating the tempo), but his long passing and attacking play isn't exactly brilliant, is it? I'm pretty sure most central-midfielders in La Liga have a great range of passing and are also good going forward, so he doesn't really fit the mould.

Is that article simply taking the **** or what? Everton, rival? Or have we sunk that low?
To be honest, they will probably finish above you this season.

Real Madrid to Sell Seven In Summer Clear-Out | CaughtOffside.com

Thoughts about Pepe, Coentrao and Morata? Probably the only players we'd be remotely interested in, among those named.. Morata is more of a luxury signing, considering we have van Persie(?), Rooney and Welbeck (I really think Chicharito will leave, although it saddens me..). Pepe though, could be useful, and should have a couple more seasons in him// I still believe we should go for Alex Sandro/Luke Shaw over Coentrao, although he is the cheaper option..
Morata wouldn't really be a luxury signing if the rumours of Van Persie wanting to leave are to be believed. If not, then perhaps he would be, but he could replace Hernandez.

United shouldn't be anywhere near Gundogan. He hasn't played for months and there's rumours that his back injury could be career-threatening. As for Carvalho, he's a talented but raw player who will cost an absolute ton.

Kovacic is a player in flux. He used to be an AMC, but Inter are now playing him as a deeper CM, and he doesn't look wholly comfortable. He's got plenty of talent, but Inter trying to make him a jack of all trades has resulted in him being a master of none. Positionally he's poor - always has been - but more worringly he's been less able to influence the game offensively. Still a talented player and a great dribbler but he's not the kind of player United need.

Gundogan looks to be the only main CM signing we may realistically have. If it's made certain that his back injury won't recur, and was a one-off thing, then it could be a really good deal for us. Plus, he'd suit our game, starting attacks from the Central Midfield, which we sorely lack. But if that injury has chances of recurring, then yeah, not so much.

As for Carvalho, young, raw, true, but other holding mids aren't exactly available easily, so only one for us I guess;; Fernando will be courted by quite a number of clubs - I'd have liked to see him here, but that won't happen. Alex Song transfer won't happen.

Kovacic, I still feel we should move for him. He's very, very unsettled at Inter, and not getting consistent games, which has resulted in the dip in his performance. Putting him next to a holding mid, and told to initiate attacks, I still feel the best can be brought out of him.. There are rumours that Moyes is going for an improved bid for Fabregas. Clearly not a case of 'Once bitten, twice shy.' Why Barca would want to sell him, I have no clue, but apparently we're in the running to bid for him :\

Morata wouldn't really be a luxury signing if the rumours of Van Persie wanting to leave are to be believed. If not, then perhaps he would be, but he could replace Hernandez.

Actually, if van Persie stays, Chicharito doesn't need replacing. We have Rooney, van Persie and Welbeck for striking roles. I highly doubt Morata would want to move from Madrid to us, only to settle for the same occasional games role. Both RvP and Rooney getting injured around the same time was a freak incident.. I don't think it'll repeat..

I am a massive fan of Gundogan, perfect player for us. But he has an appalling injury record. And long term back injuries can be career killers. Considering how key getting the midfield right is, we should steer well away from him.

Gundogan looks to be the only main CM signing we may realistically have. If it's made certain that his back injury won't recur, and was a one-off thing, then it could be a really good deal for us. Plus, he'd suit our game, starting attacks from the Central Midfield, which we sorely lack. But if that injury has chances of recurring, then yeah, not so much.

As for Carvalho, young, raw, true, but other holding mids aren't exactly available easily, so only one for us I guess;; Fernando will be courted by quite a number of clubs - I'd have liked to see him here, but that won't happen. Alex Song transfer won't happen.

Kovacic, I still feel we should move for him. He's very, very unsettled at Inter, and not getting consistent games, which has resulted in the dip in his performance. Putting him next to a holding mid, and told to initiate attacks, I still feel the best can be brought out of him.. There are rumours that Moyes is going for an improved bid for Fabregas. Clearly not a case of 'Once bitten, twice shy.' Why Barca would want to sell him, I have no clue, but apparently we're in the running to bid for him :\

Gundogan's injury is categorically not a one off thing. It's chronic, but to what extent is uncertain. It could just be a case of extra physio sessions after a game, or it could end his entire career. In other words, United would be gambling big.

Carvalho's too raw to start for United. If I was United manager I'd sign Milan Badelj.

The dip in Kovacic's performance happened BEFORE he was dropped, not after. It was the cause of him not getting consistent games, not the result of. Your third paragraph really shows exactly why United don't need him; he's not a holding midfielder, and he needs one beside him to perform well. United only have Carrick as a proper holding midfielder and he's knocking on to the point where he won't be able to play every game. United have plenty of creative talent in Rooney, Mata and Januzaj, so why go for the less defensive and more creative option? It's pretty senseless. Of the three you mentioned, Carvalho's easily the safest bet, but he's going to go for a LOT. Mike. pointed out to me that his release clause is around ?37 million, which is a truly ludicrous amount for someone of his current ability.

Like I said. Milan ******* Badelj. Someone please sign him soon, else I'm going to go mad. I spent ages extolling the virtues of Nemanja Matic and then Chelsea buy him and he's one of their most important players I should be a manager grumble grumble

Back