The Manchester United Thread

They will end up paying him what he is worth.

They're idiots if they don't, he's simply brilliant. One can hope they remain stubborn though, can't we, no matter how false a hope it might be.. T_T

And yet again, we have feasible targets in all other areas but the midfield.. As usual.. :\

I am a massive fan of Gundogan, perfect player for us. But he has an appalling injury record. And long term back injuries can be career killers. Considering how key getting the midfield right is, we should steer well away from him.

Keep away from him until it is clear that it won't be a problem, or don't go for him at all. Nobody wants another Hargreaves situation.

They will end up paying him what he is worth.

If he's clever, they'll end up paying him more than he's worth. He's in a good situation with plenty of suitors, Bayern higher-ups claiming they've already locked him up and stellar performances on the pitch.

Gundogan's injury is categorically not a one off thing. It's chronic, but to what extent is uncertain. It could just be a case of extra physio sessions after a game, or it could end his entire career. In other words, United would be gambling big.

Carvalho's too raw to start for United. If I was United manager I'd sign Milan Badelj.

The dip in Kovacic's performance happened BEFORE he was dropped, not after. It was the cause of him not getting consistent games, not the result of. Your third paragraph really shows exactly why United don't need him; he's not a holding midfielder, and he needs one beside him to perform well. United only have Carrick as a proper holding midfielder and he's knocking on to the point where he won't be able to play every game. United have plenty of creative talent in Rooney, Mata and Januzaj, so why go for the less defensive and more creative option? It's pretty senseless. Of the three you mentioned, Carvalho's easily the safest bet, but he's going to go for a LOT. Mike. pointed out to me that his release clause is around ?37 million, which is a truly ludicrous amount for someone of his current ability.

Like I said. Milan ******* Badelj. Someone please sign him soon, else I'm going to go mad. I spent ages extolling the virtues of Nemanja Matic and then Chelsea buy him and he's one of their most important players I should be a manager grumble grumble

Or Bender + Strootman. But Arsenal and Roma will have something to say about that =P And to be fair, I never thought Matic was a feasible target considering he was a Chelsea player, and that Mourinho was back at Chelsea looking to offer him a senior role.

Or Bender + Strootman. But Arsenal and Roma will have something to say about that =P And to be fair, I never thought Matic was a feasible target considering he was a Chelsea player, and that Mourinho was back at Chelsea looking to offer him a senior role.

Which Bender, Lars? He'd be a good choice, but he'd be less likely if Leverkusen get into a CL spot - which is in itself not a given - and Strootman should've been United's long ago but they passed over him for Fellaini, and now he's very happy at a club with CL football. United can't offer him that, so it would be surprising if he did move.

Neh, I was talking about Matic generally. I spent a solid year or so saying Matic was great before Chelsea snapped him up. I've been saying Badelj is great for twice as long, but he's not a big name, so United foolishly won't go for him.

Which Bender, Lars? He'd be a good choice, but he'd be less likely if Leverkusen get into a CL spot - which is in itself not a given - and Strootman should've been United's long ago but they passed over him for Fellaini, and now he's very happy at a club with CL football. United can't offer him that, so it would be surprising if he did move.

Neh, I was talking about Matic generally. I spent a solid year or so saying Matic was great before Chelsea snapped him up. I've been saying Badelj is great for twice as long, but he's not a big name, so United foolishly won't go for him.

Well, lets hope that Moyes is a fan of Sherlock Holmes - "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". So you know, if he again decides to hunt after Kroos and Fabregas, and is turned down, he may turn to the lesser known names =P

And yeh, Lars, but Arsenal are heavily linked with him, and can offer him CL. But considering their track record, it'd be even between us and them. And as for Strootman, as long as Moyes can prove in general that next season is going to be better over the remaining games this season, we should be able to attract Strootman. We're still United, after all.

AS I was saying to GV on facebook, United have been focusing on Germany and Portugal. If we haven't noticed Badelj by now, someone needs shooting. And don't get me started on Matic. It's Vidal all over again.

Strootman is crocked, and given how roma reacted when he got hurt, he will stay there, and for sometime. We should have easily won the battle for him. No excuse for not bidding on him. Amazingly none of the major clubs moved for him. That's why he ended up at Roma

I would much rather have Leroy Fer than both Strootman and Carvalho.

I wouldn't count on it, Carlo is a perfect match for them. Gets along with big stars, plays pretty football, he's high profile and very succesful but still humble and quite a diplomat. He's basically everything Mourinho wasn't. I can't imagine him getting sacked so soon unless some total clusterfuck happens.

Perhaps. But if Atl?tico can repeatedly frustrate them of silverware as much as Barcelona have this season, something could change. I agree with the sentiments of him being a perfect match, but at the same time it's why I hope that it goes awry enough for him to leave/become available.

I would much rather have Leroy Fer than both Strootman and Carvalho.

Carvalho, yes. Strootman, definitely not. A tall and strong box-to-box midfielder who runs up and down both ends of the pitch as capably as Yaya Tour?. Solid tackler, above average passer, would be the perfect link player between our defence and attack. When the likes of Robin Van Persie and Wesley Sneijder aren't available for the Netherlands team -- in leadership terms -- he is able to lead the team from the heart of the midfield.

What Mike said, we should have got him, without a doubt.

Last edited:
AS I was saying to GV on facebook, United have been focusing on Germany and Portugal. If we haven't noticed Badelj by now, someone needs shooting. And don't get me started on Matic. It's Vidal all over again.

He reminds me of Michael Carrick more than anything.

Carvalho, yes. Strootman, definitely not. A tall and strong box-to-box midfielder who runs up and down both ends of the pitch as capably as Yaya Tour?. Solid tackler, above average passer, would be the perfect link player between our defence and attack. When the likes of Robin Van Persie and Wesley Sneijder aren't available for the Netherlands team -- in leadership terms -- he is able to lead the team from the heart of the midfield.

What Mike said, we should have got him, without a doubt.

Yep, you perfectly described Leroy Fer ;)

@Mike.
Don't get me started on Milan Badelj. He was perfect for United, probably still is our best bet if we need someone similar to Carrick. Last year I was hoping for him, one of the best midfielders in Bundesliga. He slowed down when he got injured, but still **** good player. Would cost peanuts as well. So would have Romulo, now wasting his talent in Russia :(

He reminds me of Michael Carrick more than anything.

Yes, except he's a more aggressive tackler with perhaps a slightly more limited passing range. So similar though.

Yep, you perfectly described Leroy Fer ;)

@Mike.
Don't get me started on Milan Badelj. He was perfect for United, probably still is our best bet if we need someone similar to Carrick. Last year I was hoping for him, one of the best midfielders in Bundesliga. He slowed down when he got injured, but still **** good player. Would cost peanuts as well. So would have Romulo, now wasting his talent in Russia :(

I've literally been saying to Mike for about two years that United need him. Mike has his flavour of the month, but I'm forever going to be hyping Badelj. :P

So, vs. Bayern Munich, I predict Moyes will go for:

De Gea

Rafael Jones Vidic B?ttner

Carrick Giggs Fellaini

Valencia/Young Welbeck

Rooney

--- or ---

De Gea

Rafael Jones Vidic B?ttner

Carrick Giggs

Valencia/Young Kagawa Welbeck

Rooney

De Gea; Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Buttner; Jones, Carrick; Valencia, Kagawa, Welbeck; Rooney.

That's what I want to see.

De Gea; Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Buttner; Fellaini, Carrick; Valencia, Young, Rooney; Welbeck.

That's what I think we will see.

Is Nani fit? Because Nani seems to step up when his a** is really on the line....

He's been training, but I don't think he's fit enough to start tonight. I'd happily see him start over Valencia though. We need to start quickly like Arsenal did. If we can take any early chances we get we could be in with a chance with some luck and resilient defending. I can't see it though.

I'd rather see Nani start and us bring on Valencia late on than Valencia start and us bring on Nani because we're chasing the game.

Our lineup for tonight:

De Gea

Jones Ferdinand Vidic B?ttner

Valencia Carrick Fellaini Giggs

Rooney Welbeck

Bayern's:

Neuer

Rafinha Boateng Mart?nez Alaba;

Lahm

Rib?ry Schweinsteiger Kroos Robben

M?ller

Predict the result! I'll say it will be 0-0 in first 5 minutes.

Back