The Manchester United Thread

I don't really understand the praise for welbeck :S Yea he did better than he usually does but he still missed the best chance of the game and missed many chances other than that one. His whole role was to sit on the last defender, so ofc he was going to get that sort of action.

I feel like Hernandez in the same position would have done just as well, maybe getting onto less balls but being more clinical with those he did. It's horrible seeing welbeck fly through opponents, do some crazy skills and pull it off and then at the last minute fall on his ***. He tries too much imo, i'm not a big fan of him.

I don't really understand the praise for welbeck :S Yea he did better than he usually does but he still missed the best chance of the game and missed many chances other than that one. His whole role was to sit on the last defender, so ofc he was going to get that sort of action.

I feel like Hernandez in the same position would have done just as well, maybe getting onto less balls but being more clinical with those he did. It's horrible seeing welbeck fly through opponents, do some crazy skills and pull it off and then at the last minute fall on his ***. He tries too much imo, i'm not a big fan of him.

Welbeck also had a perfectly good goal ruled out. He didnt just sit on the last defender, he tracked left and harried, held up the ball. He's a lot more well rounded than Hernandez.

Better than he usually does? Best player against Madrid last season in both legs. Has 9 goals in 13 games this season.

Being too harsh on Welbeck, imo. With Bayern pressing, Hernandez would have strayed offside everytime.
Moreover, van Persie, the clinical finisher that he is, missed three clear chances in the first leg last season. Rooney+Welbeck is the best partnership we have, van Persie still the best striker.

Hernandez has been gash every time I've seen him play for ages now. His honeymoon's over. 7 in 28 this season, for the so called most 'natural finisher' in Manchester, so say the commentators. I get a lot of them will be subs, but every time I see him he misses chance after chance

Hernandez has been gash every time I've seen him play for ages now. His honeymoon's over. 7 in 28 this season, for the so called most 'natural finisher' in Manchester, so say the commentators. I get a lot of them will be subs, but every time I see him he misses chance after chance

You must be watching someother team then. He has been poor this season and you can't blame him for that when he never gets any chances at all. He needs regular games and he will score goals.

And he only started like what, 5 games in the league this season? Not to mention that he barely ever finishes a game. A striker needs a consistent run of games to start banging them in, because sitting on the bench all the time does not help his confidence, and confidence level is crucial for a striker. 8 goals and 4 assists from around 10 starts is very good for me, not to mention that we are scoring way lesser than we used to in the past.

And he only started like what, 5 games in the league this season? Not to mention that he barely ever finishes a game. A striker needs a consistent run of games to start banging them in, because sitting on the bench all the time does not help his confidence, and confidence level is crucial for a striker. 8 goals and 4 assists from around 10 starts is very good for me, not to mention that we are scoring way lesser than we used to in the past.

Th thing that made Hernandez so good was how he could come on as a sub with 10 minutes left, and bang two in. I'm not saying he's lost it, but right now Welbeck is a far better option.

Hernandez is a player who needs service, you really think its a best idea to start him vs. a team that has 70% possession?

What is he gonna do, put up a tent in the offside trap?

Hernandez is a player who needs service, you really think its a best idea to start him vs. a team that has 70% possession?

What is he gonna do, put up a tent in the offside trap?

Maybe he could chat with Neuer while he's at it. We'd have a much better chance of winning if we closed down more on the keeper, seeing as he left his area quite often.

Maybe he could chat with Neuer while he's at it. We'd have a much better chance of winning if we closed down more on the keeper, seeing as he left his area quite often.

Welbeck did that to be fair, forced him into two mistakes.

Bayern have done that to most teams with better mids than us all season. Not sure what you expected.

I expected worse actually. Still embarassed a bit tho ...

Btw wtf were Bayern doing playing without a cf for 60 minutes?!!

That's what Barca do. They're more focused on keeping the ball and passing around United's area, waiting for one of their players to make the right move at the right time. You could say they have no centre forwards, or you could say they have about six or seven, because all of them contribute so much

We've done the same with much better form and a much better side (see Barcelona 08)

Buttner had Robben in his pocket
Wow steady on there mate! He was better than expected but hardly great and deffo didnt have Robben in his pocket.

Also, on Welbeck - yes he works hard and has energy and yes he plays a specific role pretty well (see also last seasons Real M matches) but I think Chicharito gets a raw deal both from the manager and from the fans nowadays. He's much more skilled than Welbeck (who always gives the impression his brain is barely "connected" to his limbs) and also, being a cf he needs matches/service. In the Bayer match the way he turned and lost his marker only to be felled down was breathtaking and typical of his qualities.

Last edited:
That's what Barca do. They're more focused on keeping the ball and passing around United's area, waiting for one of their players to make the right move at the right time. You could say they have no centre forwards, or you could say they have about six or seven, because all of them contribute so much

I know this obviously. But watching the game they had a plethora of crosses/thru balls in the box which went begging exactly due to the lack of a penetrative central attacker. When Mandzukic was substituted in they suddenly became more threatening ...

Wow steady on there mate! He was better than expected but hardly great and deffo didnt have Robben in his pocket.

Also, on Welbeck - yes he works hard and has energy and yes he plays a specific role pretty well (see also last seasons Real M matches) but I think Chicharito gets a raw deal both from the manager and from the fans nowadays. He's much more skilled than Welbeck (who always gives the impression his brain is barely "connected" to his limbs) and also, being a cf he needs matches/service. In the Bayer match the way he turned and lost his marker only to be felled down was breathtaking and typical of his qualities.

Welbeck was turning his man inside out repeatedly, flickin the ball round players, look at his disallowed goal for a start. Welbeck has far more to his game than Hernandez.

Welbeck was turning his man inside out repeatedly, flickin the ball round players, look at his disallowed goal for a start. Welbeck has far more to his game than Hernandez.

I cant disagree that he has "far more to his game than Hernandez". Im just not convinced about him as a cf. And does anybody know what his goal was disallowed for? From the stands we thot it was for hand ball but the TV showed nothing.

I cant disagree that he has "far more to his game than Hernandez". Im just not convinced about him as a cf. And does anybody know what his goal was disallowed for? From the stands we thot it was for hand ball but the TV showed nothing.

Why aren't you convinced with him as a centre forward? He's been far better there than on the wing this year.

Was a high foot was really harsh IMO

Hernandez really wouldn't work against Bayern, since he doesn't press/work as hard as Welbeck, and doesn't have the movement of Welbeck either. With a possession team like Bayern, you need all eleven players to work hard and press, so having Hernandez wouldn't be as beneficial as Welbeck.

Having said that though, I think Hernandez deserves a chance, something he hasn't really been given under Moyes. You just have to look at his record in previous seasons to see how much of a threat he can be, if he's given the chance.

Being too harsh on Welbeck, imo. With Bayern pressing, Hernandez would have strayed offside everytime.
Moreover, van Persie, the clinical finisher that he is, missed three clear chances in the first leg last season. Rooney+Welbeck is the best partnership we have, van Persie still the best striker.
What about Rooney and Hernandez? They were fantastic pre-Van Persie, and I'm sure they can recreate that partnership if given the chance. It's also a better combination than Rooney and Welbeck, since you have a creator and a finisher, both of whom are brilliant at what they do.

Back