The Manchester United Thread

Fantastic performance and it was joy to watch Nani back and we started playing some very good football with Nani, Kagawa, Janiuzaj and Mata combining so well.

Loved Mata's first goal celebration, hopefully both stay forever. Kagawa is making it harder for Moyes to drop him every passing week. Was excellent and should have had one more assist.

Nani came back and showed us what we are mssing from our wing play. He was drifting all over the place and played some very good short pass and move game. Hopefully we will play him in every game from now on.

Our fourth goal is probably our best goal this season on par with Welbeck's goal.

Rooney, by virtue of being less injury prone, young, fitter, more mobile and versatile.
Is he less injury prone and fitter? He is more versatile and younger, but thats the only thing for me that Rooney has over RVP. His ball control and general lack of technique, possibly even football I.Q. sets me in RVP's corner. I think Rooney lost good piece of his technical ability in last 3-4 years. Even physically he's not imposing anymore.

Is he less injury prone and fitter? He is more versatile and younger, but thats the only thing for me that Rooney has over RVP. His ball control and general lack of technique, possibly even football I.Q. sets me in RVP's corner. I think Rooney lost good piece of his technical ability in last 3-4 years. Even physically he's not imposing anymore.

Yes, he certainly is. RVP hardly moves most of the match, whereas Rooney's been playing about three positions this year. As for less injury prone, it's no contest.

Yes, he certainly is. RVP hardly moves most of the match, whereas Rooney's been playing about three positions this year. As for less injury prone, it's no contest.
Rooney covers 7km per hour, RVP covers 7.5km per hour. This are UCL stats. Thats a myth that RVP hardly moves.
UEFA Champions League - Statistics ? UEFA.com

How many injuries Rooney had in past 3 years? I remember him missing so many games because of his fitness and injury problems. Rooney played 74 games in past two seasons ( this one and the last one), RVP played 73 games for United. Rooney misses average 10 games per seasons, same as RVP ( talking about this and the last season). 3 seasons ago, Rooney missed 8 league games. RVP didn't miss any. 4 seasons ago, RVP missed 13 games, Rooney missed 10. Hmm, makes me wonder..

Rooney covers 7km per hour, RVP covers 7.5km per hour. This are UCL stats. Thats a myth that RVP hardly moves.

How many injuries Rooney had in past 3 years? I remember him missing so many games because of his fitness and injury problems. Rooney played 74 games in past two seasons ( this one and the last one), RVP played 73 games for United. Rooney misses average 10 games per seasons, same as RVP ( talking about this and the last season). 3 seasons ago, Rooney missed 8 league games. RVP didn't miss any. 4 seasons ago, RVP missed 13 games, Rooney missed 10. Hmm, makes me wonder..

sell them both and get lukaku

Using those stats Rooney covers 7.8 km/hr and RVP 7.6 km/hr.. I'd like to see stats for more games, but just watching them play it's pretty obvious to everyone that Rooney is everywhere on the pitch. Rooney is definitely more mobile too.

You dont often see rvp back covering a full back like rooney would, I think a heat map or whatever you call it would work better in collaboration with those statistics to see where the ground is actually covered

But then I suppose the flipside is maybe rvp is higher up the pitch pressing fullbacks and defenders tbh I don't see united enough to form an opinion you guys will know better than me but I suppose the general view is rooney is all over the pitch and works his nuts off.

Using those stats Rooney covers 7.8 km/hr and RVP 7.6 km/hr.. I'd like to see stats for more games, but just watching them play it's pretty obvious to everyone that Rooney is everywhere on the pitch. Rooney is definitely more mobile too.

You dont often see rvp back covering a full back like rooney would, I think a heat map or whatever you call it would work better in collaboration with those statistics to see where the ground is actually covered

What these guys said is spot on.

If you want a proper answer, you can't just use the past three years. That's a far too small sample size. Over the course of their careers, Van Persie's been far more susceptible to injury than Rooney, despite Rooney having a body type that's particularly prone to injury. Van Persie's had, what, two injury free seasons in his entire career? Moreover, that'll only get worse as he moves into his 30s.

Rooney's being everywhere is yin and yang. It's always nice to have a striker who can play as attacking mid, winger and even come deep to help defense, but that leaves no-one in attack. For me, that's not good enough reason to keep Rooney and sell RVP. Also, Rooney's 'everywhere on the pitch' came out of his position. He's not playing stiker so he drops deeper and comes to get the ball. You could see few times this season when RVP was playing off Hernandez that he drops deeper as well.

Rooney's being everywhere is yin and yang. It's always nice to have a striker who can play as attacking mid, winger and even come deep to help defense, but that leaves no-one in attack. For me, that's not good enough reason to keep Rooney and sell RVP. Also, Rooney's 'everywhere on the pitch' came out of his position. He's not playing stiker so he drops deeper and comes to get the ball. You could see few times this season when RVP was playing off Hernandez that he drops deeper as well.

That's being a bit ridiculous. He doesn't end up out of position, because he gets back INTO position after he's won the ball.

Nobody's saying that's the only reason Rooney should be kept over Van Persie, just one of many.

Like I said, thats nice, but do you want from your striker to do that? Yes, it can be useful and Rooney is better pick than RVP when playing Barcelona or Bayern, but Rooney seems to drift out of position. That can be good, but that is bad as well.

That KMPH shows that there's small margin between Rooney and RVP when it comes to work rate.

Like I said, thats nice, but do you want from your striker to do that? Yes, it can be useful and Rooney is better pick than RVP when playing Barcelona or Bayern, but Rooney seems to drift out of position. That can be good, but that is bad as well.

That KMPH shows that there's small margin between Rooney and RVP when it comes to work rate.

You could argue that Rooney only has to cover so much of the pitch to make up for others not doing their job.

No, it shows there's a small margin between Rooney and RVP in distance covered. RVP could be running in a circle for 90 for all those stats prove.

Back