The Manchester United Thread

You could argue that Rooney only has to cover so much of the pitch to make up for others not doing their job.

And that's probably about right. Remember the 2011-12 season where Rooney scored so many? That's because he had a balanced team behind him, and he could focus on stay up front and scoring. The next season United won but were a less balanced team, and Rooney scored less and worked harder.

Rooney every day of the week over RVP for me. Think RVP is class but to injury prone and offers very little in link up play to other combinations we have.

That's being a bit ridiculous. He doesn't end up out of position, because he gets back INTO position after he's won the ball.

Nobody's saying that's the only reason Rooney should be kept over Van Persie, just one of many.

He averages 1 tackle per game. Thats one ball. You can argue that his presence and pressing results in few more won possessions, but you can say the same for RVP. Those margins are too small to be deciding factor. And RVP pressing on CDs is good.
If I recall correctly, season 09/10 was best for Rooney, netting almost 35 goals. If he can do that again, be that kind of a player, a bit more selfish and hold his position as a main striker, that would be great. But I somehow doubt it.

And since players carriers are too short to standards sample ( 1000 I think), 4 years are good enough. In last 4 years they played similar amount of games. RVP might be injury prone, but so is Rooney.

You could argue that Rooney only has to cover so much of the pitch to make up for others not doing their job.
That is probably true, but Rooney gets frustrated when he's off the ball. Thus he drops much deeper to win possession.

No, it shows there's a small margin between Rooney and RVP in distance covered. RVP could be running in a circle for 90 for all those stats prove.

No comment. It's like you never watched RVP. He does get involved, he does drop if needed. He just has better football brain to know when to, and when not to. Yes, we all love Rooney for his last inch tackles, covering for side defenders. But RVP works hard as well. It's a shame no-one recognize that.

And that's probably about right. Remember the 2011-12 season where Rooney scored so many? That's because he had a balanced team behind him, and he could focus on stay up front and scoring. The next season United won but were a less balanced team, and Rooney scored less and worked harder.

Had different role. Was playing behind Hernandez if I'm not mistaken. Yes, Rooney can score, so can RVP. I'm giving the edge to RVP for his football IQ and general technique.

He averages 1 tackle per game. Thats one ball. You can argue that his presence and pressing results in few more won possessions, but you can say the same for RVP. Those margins are too small to be deciding factor. And RVP pressing on CDs is good.

Except you missed the fact that Rooney's also made 28 interceptions on top of his 28 tackles. So that's 56 wins of the ball to Van Persie's 15.

Also, Van Persie's pressing of centre-backs really isn't that good. In terms of total possessions won, Rooney has 115. Van Persie has 37. Want to know how many of Van Persie's have been won in the opposition third? Six.

In other words, Rooney has won possession more than three times as much as Van Persie, and (having won a team-high 13 possessions in the opposition third despite playing deeper than Van Persie mostly) he does it in more useful positions too.

If I recall correctly, season 09/10 was best for Rooney, netting almost 35 goals. If he can do that again, be that kind of a player, a bit more selfish and hold his position as a main striker, that would be great. But I somehow doubt it.

More like if he could actually rely on his team to do that and not have another striker playing up front, then maybe he'd actually be able to recreate that. But I somehow doubt it for those reasons.

And since players carriers are too short to standards sample ( 1000 I think), 4 years are good enough. In last 4 years they played similar amount of games. RVP might be injury prone, but so is Rooney.

Why focus on just the last four years? Why not go for the biggest sample size available? You're just picking and choosing your years to back up your argument here.

No comment. It's like you never watched RVP. He does get involved, he does drop if needed. He just has better football brain to know when to, and when not to. Yes, we all love Rooney for his last inch tackles, covering for side defenders. But RVP works hard as well. It's a shame no-one recognize that.

It's also a shame that the stats don't back it up.

Had different role. Was playing behind Hernandez if I'm not mistaken. Yes, Rooney can score, so can RVP. I'm giving the edge to RVP for his football IQ and general technique.

So that makes it even more impressive given Rooney was only a few goals behind RVP that season in the Prem despite playing as an secunda punta. Giving the edge to RVP based on his 'football IQ' is nonsensical given you've based your entire idea of him having a high 'football IQ' on him only occasionally pressing. RVP has a better technique, undeniably, but Rooney has easily been the better player over the course of their careers and RVP will be hitting the first steps of the final slope down all too soon.

Like I said, thats nice, but do you want from your striker to do that? Yes, it can be useful and Rooney is better pick than RVP when playing Barcelona or Bayern, but Rooney seems to drift out of position. That can be good, but that is bad as well.

That KMPH shows that there's small margin between Rooney and RVP when it comes to work rate.

Hmmm kinda but not really because them stats do not show where the work was carried out its all well and good covering ground but if the work is not effective then its a detriment to your team Godcubed has pretty much shown that too with the stats also

Is he less injury prone and fitter? He is more versatile and younger, but thats the only thing for me that Rooney has over RVP. His ball control and general lack of technique, possibly even football I.Q. sets me in RVP's corner. I think Rooney lost good piece of his technical ability in last 3-4 years. Even physically he's not imposing anymore.

Dude, I think we would all agree that on paper RVP is by far superior footballer to just about anyone in the team, but if its not working, its not working. When two best performances of the season happen after he is injured, that's hardly a coincidence. Plus he's into his 30s, on high wages, and his injury problems are only going to get worse.

Except you missed the fact that Rooney's also made 28 interceptions on top of his 28 tackles. So that's 56 wins of the ball to Van Persie's 15.

Also, Van Persie's pressing of centre-backs really isn't that good. In terms of total possessions won, Rooney has 115. Van Persie has 37. Want to know how many of Van Persie's have been won in the opposition third? Six.

In other words, Rooney has won possession more than three times as much as Van Persie, and (having won a team-high 13 possessions in the opposition third despite playing deeper than Van Persie mostly) he does it in more useful positions too.
I don't argue Rooney's better at pressing and winning the ball, even tough my previous comment might suggest that. All I'm saying RVP is hardly a lazy sob. He does work hard. He does cover a lot of ground.

More like if he could actually rely on his team to do that and not have another striker playing up front, then maybe he'd actually be able to recreate that. But I somehow doubt it for those reasons.
Rooney playing striker is something that I like more than Rooney playing #10. One of the main reasons why I would rather see Rooney sold is I somehow doubt if RVP gets sold, Rooney will be moved in his position.

Why focus on just the last four years? Why not go for the biggest sample size available? You're just picking and choosing your years to back up your argument here.
Because there are most recent years. Feel free to focus on their entire carrier, you'll see that Rooney is injury prone as well.

It's also a shame that the stats don't back it up.
How so? Although I only have stats for UCL, how does KMPH covered not showing his effort? I honestly don't understand. It's like Hernandez all over again. Some guy was arguing he doesn't work hard enough and he's lazy just waiting for the ball. The number of runs Hernandez makes, sprints left and right is amazing. RVP covers almost as much ground as Rooney does. Yet Rooney is god of work ethic and RVP is lazy ****.
So that makes it even more impressive given Rooney was only a few goals behind RVP that season in the Prem despite playing as an secunda punta. Giving the edge to RVP based on his 'football IQ' is nonsensical given you've based your entire idea of him having a high 'football IQ' on him only occasionally pressing. RVP has a better technique, undeniably, but Rooney has easily been the better player over the course of their careers and RVP will be hitting the first steps of the final slope down all too soon.
No, I base his higher 'football IQ' on the base of his runs and getting into good positions. I haven't seen Rooney doing that too much in last three seasons, probably because he was playing off the striker. However some runs that RVP do are just so good.

Hmmm kinda but not really because them stats do not show where the work was carried out its all well and good covering ground but if the work is not effective then its a detriment to your team Godcubed has pretty much shown that too with the stats also
See the part about Hernandez.

Dude, I think we would all agree that on paper RVP is by far superior footballer to just about anyone in the team, but if its not working, its not working. When two best performances of the season happen after he is injured, that's hardly a coincidence. Plus he's into his 30s, on high wages, and his injury problems are only going to get worse.
I don't know if RVP is superior player to Rooney, but I think he fits better.

RVP is a better player. Rooney in front of that trio makes us a better team. Team comes first for me

I'd definitely like Nani or someone like him in that trio too. Capable of the little intricate plays but has pace and the ability to take a man on. Makes us more potent on the counter.

I don't argue Rooney's better at pressing and winning the ball, even tough my previous comment might suggest that. All I'm saying RVP is hardly a lazy sob. He does work hard. He does cover a lot of ground.

That's fair, but it's more the effectiveness of his running that's in question here.

Rooney playing striker is something that I like more than Rooney playing #10. One of the main reasons why I would rather see Rooney sold is I somehow doubt if RVP gets sold, Rooney will be moved in his position.

You doubt that? Really? I think that's probably the most likely thing to happen, with Welbeck the next man up and Hernandez rotating in occasionally. The idea of playing Kagawa, Mata and Nani behind Rooney is too tempting a prospect I think.

Because there are most recent years. Feel free to focus on their entire carrier, you'll see that Rooney is injury prone as well.

Yeah, that's what I said. Rooney is fairly injury prone. But Van Persie is far more so.

How so? Although I only have stats for UCL, how does KMPH covered not showing his effort? I honestly don't understand. It's like Hernandez all over again. Some guy was arguing he doesn't work hard enough and he's lazy just waiting for the ball. The number of runs Hernandez makes, sprints left and right is amazing. RVP covers almost as much ground as Rooney does. Yet Rooney is god of work ethic and RVP is lazy ****.

Rooney is a god of EFFECTIVE work rate. RVP runs a lot but rarely gets involved, as the stats I chucked up show. Rooney runs a bit more than Van Persie but does about four times as many actual actions. Most of RVPs work rate is looking for space, which I grant you is effective but not exactly a defensive boon.

No, I base his higher 'football IQ' on the base of his runs and getting into good positions. I haven't seen Rooney doing that too much in last three seasons, probably because he was playing off the striker. However some runs that RVP do are just so good.

Huh, dunno if you and I have been watching the same Rooney. Most of the reason why Rooney has been exceptional this season is because of his intelligence of movement, getting into space.

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. Van Persie may be the more technically accomplished player but Rooney's far more effective. It's the reason why Fred starts for Brazil just on a smaller scale: Fred's not as much of a 'footballer' as Leandro Damiao, but he's a better football player. Same thing here, just obviously much closer together since Rooney's obviously a fantastically gifted footballer.

Yeah I'm not sure about that either. Van Persie may be the more technically accomplished player but Rooney's far more effective. It's the reason why Fred starts for Brazil just on a smaller scale: Fred's not as much of a 'footballer' as Leandro Damiao, but he's a better football player. Same thing here, just obviously much closer together since Rooney's obviously a fantastically gifted footballer.

I really think Rooney is better than RVP. I'm not looking at stats or anything, I've seen both a billion times in action. Rooney is at least a level above RVP for me. More complete. Dunno. Might be just me. My 2 cents.

GC, I'll tell you this much. Rooney is more effective defensively and connecting the dots, but RVP is better striker. It shouldn't matter how mediocre RVP link up play is when you have Mata, Kagawa and name one of the bunch wanna be #10s we have. Even tough is nice to have a striker whos willing to drop really deep and help defense, in most cases you don't want that from your #9.
It seems everyone think Rooneys best position is AMC. I disagree. He doesn't have technical ability to be main creative force. As a striker Rooney is amazing. It comes to my preference to technical players. Thus why I think Rooney will be kept as #10 and Untied will bring in some striker. Hopefully not. Anyway, to even think about something like this shows how blessed United is in attacking department.

Rooney should be our main striker, when he is fit and on form there is little between him and RVP (though I think RVP as a person is better) But Rooney's overall impact is greater, he can effectively play two positions at once, and presses a lot better at FC than AMC. Moyes needs to be incredibly brave this summer, far braver than Ferguson was, and sell RVP. replace him with an MC of equal calibre and you will see a far more dangerous United.

Pleasantly surprised by the performance, but not the result. here is a good record for Moyes (for once). We are the best away team in the league.

Rooney > RVP. Rooney is a team player, when full back attacks and losses possession, he sprints back to cover up the space and defend. That's something I never saw RVP doing.

Also Rooney offers much more pace and better link up player and when we have too many class #10s, Rooney - RVP combination is not working it's better for team to play Rooney as #9 and Mata, Kagawa and Nani trio behind him.

I don't know if RVP is superior player to Rooney, but I think he fits better.

How can he possibly fit better. RVP himself complained people get in his space. It might sound crazy but he probably has a pretty good idea whether his playstyle fits with United's attacking trio.

Back