The Manchester United Thread

According to El Confidencial, Manchester United have already completed the free transfer of Levante full-back Ona Batlle. Barcelona and Real Madrid were both reportedly interested, but would have had to pay 500,000 euros for her. (Source: @elconfidencial)

Levante have confirmed this. Good signing and Greenwood is in talks to come back from Lyon.

Rashford starts for #MUFC, Pogba on the bench.

Man Utd XI: De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, James, Martial, Rashford.

Subs: Romero, Mata, Pogba, Ighalo, Bailly, Lingard, Greenwood, Matic, Williams

I do wish we had played spurs right before the league got suspended lol. I was almost certain we would pick all 3 points. Now, idk

What I've learnt from the first half.

1) Bruno Fernandes will be a star and is worth his weight in gold from just his set pieces alone.
2) Maguire has too many weaknesses in his game to ever be considered elite but is still a monster aerially.
3) Fred first touch is shocking. That is all.
4) Deano is ready and hope PSG come in for De gea
5) I know Ole has utd playing counter-attacking but the positional play and attacking phase is non-existent and it relies on to give the ball to Bruno and hope he can do something with it. I'm legit trying to see what the setup is once in possession in the final third but unfortunately, I can't.

Bruno Fernandes is a player. Everything he does is so positive and he got that sly sneaky win at all costs mentality to boot. Still see yous lot struggling against anyone that parks the bus tho.

Huh soft penalty in my opinion.
Started well but can obviusly see players need to get few games in to click again.

Would have took a point before kick off. but I wasnt expecting a performance that bad from both teams. Especially Kane

1) Bruno Fernandes will be a star and is worth his weight in gold from just his set pieces alone.
2) Maguire has too many weaknesses in his game to ever be considered elite but is still a monster aerially.
5) I know Ole has utd playing counter-attacking but the positional play and attacking phase is non-existent and it relies on to give the ball to Bruno and hope he can do something with it. I'm legit trying to see what the setup is once in possession in the final third but unfortunately, I can't.
You should revisit some of those points once players get match fit. But:
1) Yes, he's the most influential player. Getting him and Pogba to play well together is the key for United.
2) Maguire isn't very agile player, its hard to be with his body type. His positioning should be much better for the goal, Shaws header was poor, Fred should have taken down Bergwijn and De Gea could have done better.
3) It's mediocre. He has a good engine. Similar to Henderson to compare.
4) The case of De Gea is a strange one. First time in forever, I wouldn't mind selling him. But still more than welcome to give him benefit of the doubt and rest of the season to prove his worth once again. Then again, is he really that bad so he does not deserve place at United? He was at such high level before that seeing him doing regular GK mistakes is maybe clouding our judgement.
5) Martial usually moves much better, Rashford was 5 months without football, and Daniel James has nothing but pace and heart. He's the main issue because he's ineffective in 90% of the game unless United is playing on counter attack. Also, Wan Bissaka is not the best at going forward so it cripples United a bit. You could see a lot of "whats the setup" in the second half once Pogba and Greenwood came on.

This. We basically have no defined way of attacking beyond playing on the break which is why we will continue to struggle vs teams that sit back. I don't think buying 3 more creative players will change anything imo

You should revisit some of those points once players get match fit. But:
1) Yes, he's the most influential player. Getting him and Pogba to play well together is the key for United.
2) Maguire isn't very agile player, its hard to be with his body type. His positioning should be much better for the goal, Shaws header was poor, Fred should have taken down Bergwijn and De Gea could have done better.
3) It's mediocre. He has a good engine. Similar to Henderson to compare.
4) The case of De Gea is a strange one. First time in forever, I wouldn't mind selling him. But still more than welcome to give him benefit of the doubt and rest of the season to prove his worth once again. Then again, is he really that bad so he does not deserve place at United? He was at such high level before that seeing him doing regular GK mistakes is maybe clouding our judgement.
5) Martial usually moves much better, Rashford was 5 months without football, and Daniel James has nothing but pace and heart. He's the main issue because he's ineffective in 90% of the game unless United is playing on counter attack. Also, Wan Bissaka is not the best at going forward so it cripples United a bit. You could see a lot of "whats the setup" in the second half once Pogba and Greenwood came on.
I completely forgot Martial was playing until that save from Lloris and Rashford was trying too hard to impress. Henderson's technique is one of the best at Liverpool it's one of his biggest strengths and what makes him so versatile unless you meant they both have a good engine. Also, genuinely excited to see if Pogba can raise his game now that he doesn't have to feel like he's playing with a bunch of scrubs in the middle of the park. Oh and Wan bissaka can boot the ball into the stand everytime he gets forward for all I care but the way he locks down that right hand side had that Gelson kid shocked. Just get a right winger and have Bissaka to overlap and create an overload as he is amazing as he is.

Would have settled for a point easy before kick off. A double howler cost us. Along with some poor/rusty finishing.

Was impressed by Shaw again this season. Bruno is absolute top class. But not surprised we looked sluggish in attack compared to how we was playing before the break so not worried about that.

What I am excited about is Bruno and Pogba linking up. You could see the chemistry from the off. Btw Pogba having being out nearly all season was immense after coming on! And Greenwood what a future star.

DDG needs to be moved on after next season!

Onto Sheff Utd feeling very confident.