The Manchester United Thread

Noticed since Rashford returned from his back injury he’s not dribbling or trying to beat as man anywhere near as much. And without Shaw providing those overlapping runs it’s exposing it even more for me.

Good to see Martial getting the credit he deserves last night from British media. Shades of R9 last night ? Rvp was almost orgasmic about him on BT lol. And Scholes who has been one of his biggest critics couldn’t stop praising him either. Now calling him the complete forward.

That Victor Nelssen lad played out of his mind tonight. Interesting to see if he does something like that regularly.

Rashford has been really poor lately, got to say I'm equally concerned about our options (In terms of depth or lack of especially) on that wing as much as the other right now. Regarding last night.... we won and deserved to do so, credit to Copenhagen especially their goalkeeper who was phenomenal.

But there is a lot more tougher tests to come and we need to improve to have a chance of winning this trophy, a team like Inter/Wolves/Sevilla would punish us for our sloppy mistakes. Even though I thought Fred had a good game, the first 10 minutes he lost the ball in a very dangerous position and let the opponent in.

Thought Bailly (saved a certain goal practically), Martial, Lindelof, Mata were the stand out performers.

At risk of boring everyone though, we definitely need some transfers to meaningfully challenge for anything next season.

Just watching it again atm. There keeper needs testing lol. Martial absolutely possessed. Not to worried about Rashford tbh. Yeah he’s been poor since his return but after back surgery maybe easing himself in. Even though he’s been poor he’s still created odd bits of magic. Get Sancho and our attack will be good for next season. Obviously a Grealish or VDB would be good. But we defo need a CB more imo.

Just watching it again atm. There keeper needs testing lol. Martial absolutely possessed. Not to worried about Rashford tbh. Yeah he’s been poor since his return but after back surgery maybe easing himself in. Even though he’s been poor he’s still created odd bits of magic. Get Sancho and our attack will be good for next season. Obviously a Grealish or VDB would be good. But we defo need a CB more imo.

Why do we need a CB so badly? I'm still confused by this, who is out there that would significantly improve what we have? We're not even conceding goals and fans want a defender lol, if anything we need a FB.

Baily is a nutter, but he's a very good defender on his day, as shown last night can do more than a good job. Maguire is just a steady presence and is just overly criticised due to his price tag, better than most defenders still. Lindelof is fantastic lately and can generally be relied upon for consistency. Then for cover we still have the likes of Smalling, Tuanzebe and Mengi.

Whereas with midfield, I can think about tons of players who would improve our midfield, at least from a squad perspective, if one of our key players gets injured three is.a MASSIVE drop off in quality, which isn't the case with our defence so much.

Why do we need a CB so badly? I'm still confused by this, who is out there that would significantly improve what we have? We're not even conceding goals and fans want a defender lol, if anything we need a FB.

Baily is a nutter, but he's a very good defender on his day, as shown last night can do more than a good job. Maguire is just a steady presence and is just overly criticised due to his price tag, better than most defenders still. Lindelof is fantastic lately and can generally be relied upon for consistency. Then for cover we still have the likes of Smalling, Tuanzebe and Mengi.

Whereas with midfield, I can think about tons of players who would improve our midfield, at least from a squad perspective, if one of our key players gets injured three is.a MASSIVE drop off in quality, which isn't the case with our defence so much.
Smalling, Jones, Rojo will all leave. Bailly and Tuanzebe need to prove they can stay fit. After that we have Mengi and Bernard who aren’t ready. If we go into next season with those 4 god help us!

Smalling, Jones, Rojo will all leave. Bailly and Tuanzebe need to prove they can stay fit. After that we have Mengi and Bernard who aren’t ready. If we go into next season with those 4 god help us!

Smalling won't leave, now his move to Roma seems off, we've got the perfect defender whether he likes it or not for playing a rotational experienced CB role next season, due to the amount of competitions we're in.

If we've got any sense, we'll keep him and worry about CB next summer, right now there are greater priorities.

Yeah, honestly, would be happy with Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling and Bailly for next season, with Tuanzebe as an addition. It's a good CB line-up. FB, I honestly don't think we should bother with - Shaw/Williams/AwB/Dalot - again, happy with that for the season (considering the circumstances). Need to start giving Dalot chances though.

Desperately need midfielders though. Grealish will be way overpriced, if van de Beek is available, we should be all over that deal. We desperately need creativity in our midfield (outside the first team). Fred can provide muscle at the base of the midfield, while Pereira is just another body on the field, but we desperately lack creativity. Sancho (or whoever) means our backup for our front three would be Greenwood, James and Ighalo (and Lingard) - not at all bad.

But on the topic of Smalling leaving, seems rumours indicate we are in for for Gabriel Magalhaes (or however you spell the name). So, dunno.

Smalling won't leave, now his move to Roma seems off, we've got the perfect defender whether he likes it or not for playing a rotational experienced CB role next season, due to the amount of competitions we're in.

If we've got any sense, we'll keep him and worry about CB next summer, right now there are greater priorities.
Smalling is still in talks with Roma and now Inter. He wants out and has openly admitted he wants to stay in Italy. He won’t come back to be 4/5 choice.

Like Sherkey said get Sancho. Then your rotation options are Greenwood, Ighalo, Mata, James, Lingard if he stays.

CM least we have some decent/good options in Pogba, Bruno, Matic, Fred, Mctominey, Pereira if he stays.

Of coarse if we have enough for a decent rotation AMC then all good but for me that’s after RW, CB.

Last edited:
Yeah, honestly, would be happy with Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling and Bailly for next season, with Tuanzebe as an addition. It's a good CB line-up. FB, I honestly don't think we should bother with - Shaw/Williams/AwB/Dalot - again, happy with that for the season (considering the circumstances). Need to start giving Dalot chances though.

Desperately need midfielders though. Grealish will be way overpriced, if van de Beek is available, we should be all over that deal. We desperately need creativity in our midfield (outside the first team). Fred can provide muscle at the base of the midfield, while Pereira is just another body on the field, but we desperately lack creativity. Sancho (or whoever) means our backup for our front three would be Greenwood, James and Ighalo (and Lingard) - not at all bad.

But on the topic of Smalling leaving, seems rumours indicate we are in for for Gabriel Magalhaes (or however you spell the name). So, dunno.

I wouldn't Mind Thiago btw. He's going to cost about £30 million which would be a bargain.

I wouldn't Mind Thiago btw. He's going to cost about £30 million which would be a bargain.

That would be a brilliant shout as last night glaringly showed the need for again. One of the best midfielders in the World for that price is an absolute bargain. I just don't see where he'd have any incentive to go to Utd when he's in 'win now' mode at this stage of his career and you're light years away from that.

Given the general consensus in here is a right-sided attacker, who's up next now Sancho is completely off the table this window?

Sancho completely off the table?

Whether it is or isn't, Zorc has a history of saying these things then selling players... on the other hand United can't put all their eggs in one basket then say there wasn't time to do transfers.

I don't want Thiago, 29 and just think he wouldn't suit us, plus his injury record isn't great either.

Whether it is or isn't, Zorc has a history of saying these things then selling players... on the other hand United can't put all their eggs in one basket then say there wasn't time to do transfers.

I don't want Thiago, 29 and just think he wouldn't suit us, plus his injury record isn't great either.
Not saying it’s gonna happen and I’m sure Utd are looking at other options. Dembele, Chiesa being mentioned. But as we have seen with Utd often they will be mass reporting like Dybala, Fernandes and other that we were never actually interested despite it being well known we was after said players. Only when that happens I will think Utd will have moved on. But as has been reported today by god knows how many that we are still interested and talks with the 3rd party Lichtensteiner continues.

Yeah, I had an intense dislike the last time when Woodward announced the "One transfer at a time" policy. Felt it was idiotic. Rumours seem to indicate a loan move for Coman or a transfer for Chiesa. Haven't seen much of Chiesa playing IRL, so wouldn't know. Don't even know the validity of those rumours, so no idea.

Thiago, would have been the dream transfer a couple of years ago. Sigh. Dunno. I love Aouar, but we wouldn't get him (and he seems a proper Guardiola player). Still, if he were willing to move to OT (Thiago), I would go for him, anyday. IT also means we get a ticker in the midfield, something we have not had in ages (well, one with creativity, atleast). But his wages are likely to be astronomical, may not be feasible.

Would love Thiago even despite his age. Still absolute quality and would replace Matic for most games. Wages and his desire to want to be here would be my only concerns.

Sancho is right now much more matured than during City and he not pushing a move that hard. He has nothing to lose to stay one year more there and see where this Ole project is heading. With other players who where sold had offers you could not refuse and the players themself where acting out very badly. Right now everything seems to point in direction that Zorc will hold his word unless some crazy money wont be offered and you just can say no to that. Defo will be over 120mil