The Manchester United Thread

Laurie Whitwell
@lauriewhitwell
Watford enquired about a £5m option to buy on James Garner but #MUFC said No. United keen for loan to be a success then evaluate his role for the squad next season.

^^^^^ True dat.

But you would like to think as times moved on and the medical science has become paramount, coupled with the values of the players to club finances now, that those practices are becoming less and less.

Or maybe I'm still giving to much good faith to football clubs?
You would like to think it isn't so common but it is still happening sadly. Medical advancements have progressed (the ACL injury which ended Coppell's career is no longer seen as career ending) but there will always be players who are either forced back too soon or think they have recovered when they haven't.

Dan James won’t leave not a chance. Smalling and Lingard and will likely be stuck with Jones and Rojo ? If Ighalo goes in Jan then could see us going for King then as a cheap back up.

If King ever did happen, by god our standards are rock bottom. We need better than him for competition with Martial! Remember when we had 4 world-class strikers... jeez them days are gone.

If King ever did happen, by god our standards are rock bottom. We need better than him for competition with Martial! Remember when we had 4 world-class strikers... jeez them days are gone.
Them days are gone mate! Greenwood will be second choice, King 3rd/4th after Rashford also. Not saying I want him but your going to have to be realistic on what a 3rd/4th choice str will be happy with

Outside all of the hysteria and overreacton for the last match, this actually carries some pretty interesting points. The lack of pre-defined attacking structure could be a problem later on, when fatigue hits. (This is more or less similar to Mou, who drills defensive movement while expecting his attackers to freely create).

While it's not as cut and dry as the article makes it out to be, on the pitch is still one of my bigger worries more than transfers currently (as I stated earlier too). Our approach currently is one dimensional - counter (or try to give the ball Bruno to create some magic). While the loss can be explained away to no pre-season and what not, the fact is that the current season means players will be fatigued more than normal. If Bruno can't create, then we don't have transitions or a set plan to carry out, making it a problem.

And currently, our best midfield trio is Matic-Pogba-Fernandes, which works because Matic drops deep to effectively become a 3 man defence while defending. This helps when the full backs are bombing ahead. None of our other midfielders can do that, which becomes another problem. Fred is decent but a different player while McTominay is rotation, at best.

Outside all of the hysteria and overreacton for the last match, this actually carries some pretty interesting points. The lack of pre-defined attacking structure could be a problem later on, when fatigue hits. (This is more or less similar to Mou, who drills defensive movement while expecting his attackers to freely create).

While it's not as cut and dry as the article makes it out to be, on the pitch is still one of my bigger worries more than transfers currently (as I stated earlier too). Our approach currently is one dimensional - counter (or try to give the ball Bruno to create some magic). While the loss can be explained away to no pre-season and what not, the fact is that the current season means players will be fatigued more than normal. If Bruno can't create, then we don't have transitions or a set plan to carry out, making it a problem.

And currently, our best midfield trio is Matic-Pogba-Fernandes, which works because Matic drops deep to effectively become a 3 man defence while defending. This helps when the full backs are bombing ahead. None of our other midfielders can do that, which becomes another problem. Fred is decent but a different player while McTominay is rotation, at best.
The lack of attacking pattern is a real problem. OGS encourages attacking players to attack on instinct. That's all fine and dandy except it makes us a bit predictable. It also makes us rely heavily on individual quality. I watched city's 2nd goal against wolves today and while they had individual quality all round, they didn't even need it. Simple through ball to Sterling that I would make and sterling squared the ball into a space he knew Foden would attack and BAM, simple tap in. Their attacking play can be so simple yet brilliant. It's all about the positioning and repetitive patterns in their attacking play.

Passmap for your last game does not show good gameplan already. Specialy defence looks so wide.

1600753708591.png

The lack of attacking pattern is a real problem. OGS encourages attacking players to attack on instinct. That's all fine and dandy except it makes us a bit predictable. It also makes us rely heavily on individual quality. I watched city's 2nd goal against wolves today and while they had individual quality all round, they didn't even need it. Simple through ball to Sterling that I would make and sterling squared the ball into a space he knew Foden would attack and BAM, simple tap in. Their attacking play can be so simple yet brilliant. It's all about the positioning and repetitive patterns in their attacking play.

Related-Last nights game was a prime example of the importance of fans.

Last season, Wolves fall 2 down at home to City and come back to win 3-2. In large part to a wild Molineux crowd.

Similar circumstances again last night. They fall 2 behind. Regroup half-time. Come out fighting. Get one back after missing some great chances. Have City on the ropes for a large spell. But lack the extra ingredient of the home crowd dragging them over the line.

It is what it is but ****** COVID!!!!! ?????

Last edited:
---

I do think that Solskjaer is a problem, BUT, he is the lesser problem in the BIGGER problem which is all that is around and above him. Focussing on Solskjaer and getting him eventually sacked, in the greater scheme of things what does it achieve? They'll hire another manager, back him for a season or two, then leave him out to dry and sack him, rinse and repeat the Glazer formula.

All the negativity and attention needs to continue going to the board and Glazers, as those are the real leeches that are killing this club! this is why I am happy that the likes of Evra, Neville and Ferdinand are now speaking out against them. It says a lot when they were at one point possibly going to be employed by these same parasites at the club.

Exactly. If people think we are gonna have 3/4 WC str again playing a 1 str system then they need to lay off the FM.

Mate, lets start with having 1 shall we? Look, Martial on his day is arguably world-class, but lets be BRUTALLY honest here. I still don't fully trust him to deliver the goods when it really matters because despite doing well last season and in other brief spells of his United career. That's all it ever really is with Martial, you get a good run of games and then he will go missing or injured again.

For me this is a MASSIVE season for Martial, to see how good he really will be, world-class players deliver consistently year in, year out... it's time for him to start doing so. With the wages he is on you expect a 25-30 goal a season striker for sure.

------

The point here is that the likes of Ighalo or Josh King are just not good enough for United to challenge Martial, it's embarrassing competition for places. Everyone got caught up in the hysteria of that deadline day deal but it was nothing more than a panic buy was Ighalo and even though he's a nice lad. He's not good enough.

Where we really missed out and big time was not getting that Haaland deal done, then you would have had a strike force really worth taking notice. But that's just typical us ******** up deals again, players like Haaland and Beelingham we'll probably try to sign for god knows how many million in the coming years and that's just this current regime for you.

I do think that Solskjaer is a problem, BUT, he is the lesser problem in the BIGGER problem which is all that is around and above him. Focussing on Solskjaer and getting him eventually sacked, in the greater scheme of things what does it achieve? They'll hire another manager, back him for a season or two, then leave him out to dry and sack him, rinse and repeat the Glazer formula.

All the negativity and attention needs to continue going to the board and Glazers, as those are the real leeches that are killing this club! this is why I am happy that the likes of Evra, Neville and Ferdinand are now speaking out against them. It says a lot when they were at one point possibly going to be employed by these same parasites at the club.

Mate, lets start with having 1 shall we? Look, Martial on his day is arguably world-class, but lets be BRUTALLY honest here. I still don't fully trust him to deliver the goods when it really matters because despite doing well last season and in other brief spells of his United career. That's all it ever really is with Martial, you get a good run of games and then he will go missing or injured again.

For me this is a MASSIVE season for Martial, to see how good he really will be, world-class players deliver consistently year in, year out... it's time for him to start doing so. With the wages he is on you expect a 25-30 goal a season striker for sure.

------

The point here is that the likes of Ighalo or Josh King are just not good enough for United to challenge Martial, it's embarrassing competition for places. Everyone got caught up in the hysteria of that deadline day deal but it was nothing more than a panic buy was Ighalo and even though he's a nice lad. He's not good enough.

Where we really missed out and big time was not getting that Haaland deal done, then you would have had a strike force really worth taking notice. But that's just typical us ******** up deals again, players like Haaland and Beelingham we'll probably try to sign for god knows how many million in the coming years and that's just this current regime for you.
While I agree with the Glazer's criticism, I still feel it's a tactical problem, something that's on Ole to solve.

Also, we tried for both Haaland and Bellingham. Bellingham admitted (in one of the articles) that first team football and the salary demands met meant Dortmund was the only place. Salary was important, too. Haaland, yes, but Raiola wanted a Release clause of 75 Mn (which will look like a steal when it becomes active next year) - no way would we agree to that, and rightly so. That is detrimental, and akin to Reguilon, good that it was turned down.

------

Ighalo isn’t suppose to be challenging Martial, Greenwood is. Ighalo was bought in as a 3rd str that’s happy to sit on the bench play about 15/20 appearances a season and offer something different.

Real Madrid have Benzema, Jovic, Rodrygo

Liverpool have Firmino, Origi

City have Aguero, Jesus

Bayern Munich have Lewandowski, Zirkee

Dortmund have Haaland, Moukoko

Chelsea have Werner, Tammy, Giroud

No club has 3/4 top str anymore infact most successful teams don’t even have 2 top str anymore. Other areas of our squad are hurting us atm. And this were other clubs are a lot stronger than us in terms of quality/depth.

While I agree with the Glazer's criticism, I still feel it's a tactical problem, something that's on Ole to solve.

Also, we tried for both Haaland and Bellingham. Bellingham admitted (in one of the articles) that first team football and the salary demands met meant Dortmund was the only place. Salary was important, too. Haaland, yes, but Raiola wanted a Release clause of 75 Mn (which will look like a steal when it becomes active next year) - no way would we agree to that, and rightly so. That is detrimental, and akin to Reguilon, good that it was turned down.

It was definitely evident against Palace but to be honest he's had the players for like a week so not sure how much we can read into it. One thing that was slightly worrying is that there was certain similarities in the first goal conceded to the one conceded against Sevilla. The defensive organisation and letting a ball into the box is very poor once again. you can pick apart that Palace performance in so many ways we were just so off it in all departments.

We don’t have one.(A top # 9 in the traditional sense.).

Our strikers are two wingers who play like inside forwards both cutting in and rotating in the traditional # 9 role. Joto should aid that massively. Bobby just facilitates them. A #10 who happens to have a # 9 on his back. Taki’s in a similar mould,

I got nothing on Origi. (PLEASE someone make a reasonable offer the next few weeks.).

Probably not helping so I’ll dip back out.

Liverpool have Firmino, Origi and Jota - But their tactics are completly different breed, the tactical awarnes and fluid movment is several steps ahead.

When you had several top strikers was the time when mostly was played 2 at top also, lets not forget about that. But the point is still there I think.

If we talk about attacking United should go all out for Jimenez next summer if Wolves fail to do anything and selle Martial to PSG for example if Mbappe leaves. You need all out natural foward who consistantly gives you prime gametime. Perfect player who will make and score goals. This would be sensible move even tough Jimenez is one of fav strikers for me and would not want to see him in United shirt.

Liverpool have Firmino, Origi and Jota - But their tactics are completly different breed, the tactical awarnes and fluid movment is several steps ahead.

When you had several top strikers was the time when mostly was played 2 at top also, lets not forget about that. But the point is still there I think.

If we talk about attacking United should go all out for Jimenez next summer if Wolves fail to do anything and selle Martial to PSG for example if Mbappe leaves. You need all out natural foward who consistantly gives you prime gametime. Perfect player who will make and score goals. This would be sensible move even tough Jimenez is one of fav strikers for me and would not want to see him in United shirt.

Jimenez is a good player but he's too old by then, 30 year old for the price they will want.... Jota was the one to go for... oh wait :D