The Manchester United Thread

73m sterling final fee for Sancho. Confirmed by various German/Dortmund outlets. 250k a week in bonuses for his salary. Only thing unknown atm is the upfront fee.

Anthony Elanga in training ahead of the new season 😮

n24b1vyl22871.jpg

4 minutes ago

Drainy

I mean, dilakh makes a good point. Playing as part of a pivot requires a lot of discipline. Even when he roams forward with the ball, the last thing you'd want to do is lose it and allow the opposition to exploit the space left behind (which Switzerland did the full effect).

That's why OGS prefers to play him in the left, half space hybrid winger role.

I mean, dilakh makes a good point. Playing as part of a pivot requires a lot of discipline. Even when he roams forward with the ball, the last thing you'd want to do is lose it and allow the opposition to exploit the space left behind (which Switzerland did the full effect).

That's why OGS prefers to play him in the left, half space hybrid winger role.
Yeah. Which is why, he had his most successful spell at Juventus playing in a 3 (and the Bruno role, at that). He had 2 of Marchisio, Vidal and Pirlo pulling the strings and running the game, while he had freedom allowing him to spray passes and be creative. Additionally, he was offered space as he wasn't closed down as much as he would be in the PL (similar to international matches).

He's not a player you can chuck into any formation and expect it to work. I know we are looking at getting him on a new deal, but honestly, it's kinda a moot point if a team is not build around him. Also, playing him on the left means we lack pace over there. And if we get Sancho (and when Rashford gets fit), both of them'll expect to start on the right and left respectively.

There is hope within #mufc that Mason Greenwood can establish himself as a 20-30-goal-a-season striker and he will be given more opportunities to play at the point of attack once Sancho arrives. [@jamesrobsonES]

Beast 🤩

⭐️

@HarryMaguire93 - MotM: #ENG 2-0 #GER

Shots - 2

Aerial Duels Won - 6

Aerial Duel Success - 100%

Clearances - 4

Tackle Success - 100%

Pass Accuracy - 88%

Dribbles - 1

Rating - 7.64

One of many man mountains in an England shirt

Luke Shaw’s game by numbers vs. Germany: 100% tackles won 91% pass accuracy 5 final third passes 2 ball recoveries 1 clearance 1 foul won 1 assist 0.64 xA Consistent class.

🤩

I dunno. I was unconvinced by Maguire too, initially. But he has improved massively. And he brings the ball out of defense, with his lack of pace being a major issue (which impacts how he recovers, how he turns on the break etc). That was what I felt was the major barrier yesterday (the yellow card) in an otherwise excellent performance.

My problem is that Maguire is not a leader of the defence. He is an really good defender, but you would want someone to marshal and lead the defence next to him. Which is why my first instinct was that we need to make a cheeky bid for Ramos if he was leaving, but he seems Paris bound. Honestly though, Varane would be a massive improvement to our backline, but he does suffer injuries fairly regularly. Plus, wages are a stumbling block, according to rumours.

I would love Kounde too, and Athletic recently did a piece comparing them. Kounde has been fantastic and his numbers are off the charts, but his height could prove a major stumbling block. And we have already seen examples of bad heading with Lindelof.

The only options majorly available are Varane and Torres. Do you get the world class defender or the younger version and hope you can develop them? I'd like Varane, but people shouldn't expect he will magically fix our defence, a la van Dijk. He is excellent, and would improve our backline. But then, Maguire needs to get more vocal and start marshalling the defence better along him to get the best out of both of them.