The Manchester United Thread

Probably won’t see hm starting again until the FA Cup. Which is a massive madness in itself.
Of course, I expect McFred to be back for AV in 2 days mate. It's madness that, you know, a no. 6 like VdB that can actually help united control games better with his ball retention and press resistance is being benched for Fred...all because he shows "pashun".

You might believe we're terrible defensively but I think a lot stems from the lack of compactness and the lack of an actual deep lying DM that can read the game well.

Of course, I expect McFred to be back for AV in 2 days mate. It's madness that, you know, a no. 6 like VdB that can actually help united control games better with his ball retention and press resistance is being benched for Fred...all because he shows "pashun".

You might believe we're terrible defensively but I think a lot stems from the lack of compactness and the lack of an actual deep lying DM that can read the game well.

You know my views on the Dutchman mate. Under the right ...... sorry, any competent coaching, he'd go a long way to fixing one of the biggest flaws Utd have.

Whilst I wouldn't disagree if that issue was addressed you'd look better defensively, the quality of the personnel is still real questionable IMHO.

Varane, as much as I don't think he's half the player without Ramos alongside him (Young Boys hammered that home where he was all over with the other two planks alongside him), obviously is a cut above anything and improves the defence. But Shaw aside, there the quality really drops off with the other bang mediocre statues available at CH. And even frigging Southgate with his mad love for traditional, defensive FB's recognises how limited AWB is. A highly expensive version of Nathaniel Clyne. Who isn't even that good a defender. He gets madly put up when he's making yet another last-ditch tackle as some sort of defensive machine. When if truth be told, when you're having to do that and you spend more time on your **** than your feet from sliding in recovering, you've F up your job positionally to start with. I don't even know where to start with paying £50 million for a FB ...... Then people actually trying to justify signing Trippier, another old school, defensive first FB, to do what he can't! 🤦🏼‍♂️And the goalie situation continues to be significantly below the other 3.

Which was why I was saying I agreed with what the consensus was in the vid I referenced the other day that you're in as big a muddle now with little to no progression as you were under Mourinho. For all the talk of improved recruitment, the squads top-heavy with quality forwards whilst being badly neglected in other key areas. And the signings of the past summer were so typical Utd/ Woodward, it wasn't even funny. (Giving Varane the extra £10 million a year Madrid wouldn't/ Paying the silly money for Ronaldo just to stop City- Sidenote. Ta there BTW. He was EXACTLY what City needed. Grealish was mad to me for the money and doesn't significantly improve them. Ronaldo OTOH would have been a 'Bollocks! ' addition for them)/ Sancho, as good as he is. being somewhat of a luxury big name, like Ronaldo, to appease the fans. When even Stevie Wonder could see that wasn't the main priority for strengthening.). All still very haphazard and big-name splashy.

Now, I know you are sat joint top so folk will probably laugh at that. But it all looks totally unsustainable given the actual performances/ quality of the squad/ the PE teacher/ and the fact you've not remotely come close to even breaking 80 points since Mourinho. Let alone pushing the 90 plus now needed. I don't even know what Utd's identity is as it changes from game to game? 🤷‍♂️Which 3 years and more into his managership is beyond criminal. Whereas you know exactly what you're getting with Chelsea and L'pool. And City are capable of reeling off 10/15 straight wins at any time.

No doubt you'll now get top 4. Spending more than anyone else will ensure that and Ronaldo will flat-track bully the ***** in this league. Individual attacking quality will bale out P poor coaching.

But I don't see anything more than that any time soon under Solksjaer or anyone else with Utd's haphazard approach of making the same mistakes over and over so eerily like ourselves in the 90's it's uncanny.

Last edited:
You know my views on the Dutchman mate. Under the right ...... sorry, any competent coaching, he'd go a long way to fixing one of the biggest flaws Utd have.

Whilst I wouldn't disagree if that issue was addressed you'd look better defensively, the quality of the personnel is still real questionable IMHO.

Varane, as much as I don't think he's half the player without Ramos alongside him (Young Boys hammered that home where he was all over with the other two planks alongside him), obviously is a cut above anything and improves the defence. But Shaw aside, there the quality really drops off with the other bang mediocre statues available at CH. And even frigging Southgate with his mad love for traditional, defensive FB's recognises how limited AWB is. A highly expensive version of Nathaniel Clyne. Who isn't even that good a defender. He gets madly put up when he's making yet another last-ditch tackle as some sort of defensive machine. When if truth be told, when you're having to do that and you spend more time on your **** than your feet from sliding in recovering, you've F up your job positionally to start with. I don't even know where to start with paying £50 million for a FB ...... Then people actually trying to justify signing Trippier, another old school, defensive first FB, to do what he can't! 🤦🏼‍♂️And the goalie situation continues to be significantly below the other 3.

Which was why I was saying I agreed with what the consensus was in the vid I referenced the other day that you're in as big a muddle now with little to no progression as you were under Mourinho. For all the talk of improved recruitment, the squads top-heavy with quality forwards whilst being badly neglected in other key areas. And the signings of the past summer were so typical Utd/ Woodward, it wasn't even funny. (Giving Varane the extra £10 million a year Madrid wouldn't/ Paying the silly money for Ronaldo just to stop City- Sidenote. Ta there BTW. He was EXACTLY what City needed. Grealish was mad to me for the money and doesn't significantly improve them. Ronaldo OTOH would have been a 'Bollocks! ' addition for them)/ Sancho, as good as he is. being somewhat of a luxury big name, like Ronaldo, to appease the fans. When even Stevie Wonder could see that wasn't the main priority for strengthening.). All still very haphazard and big-name splashy.

Now, I know you are sat joint top so folk will probably laugh at that. But it all looks totally unsustainable given the actual performances/ quality of the squad/ the PE teacher/ and the fact you've not remotely come close to even breaking 80 points since Mourinho. Let alone pushing the 90 plus now needed. I don't even know what Utd's identity is as it changes from game to game? 🤷‍♂️Which 3 years and more into his managership is beyond criminal. Whereas you know exactly what you're getting with Chelsea and L'pool. And City are capable of reeling off 10/15 straight wins at any time.

No doubt you'll now get top 4. Spending more than anyone else will ensure that and Ronaldo will flat-track bully the ***** in this league.

But I don't see anything more than that any time soon under Solksjaer or anyone else with Utd's haphazard approach of making the same mistakes over and over so eerily like ourselves in the 90's it's uncanny.

Agree with 80% of this but I will address a few things

1. We've scouted Sancho since 2017 and had our initial attempt rebuffed since he felt moving to Dortmund would be better for his development. So I disagree we only went for Sancho because he's a "big name". We've been monitoring him since he wasn't even well known.

2. Fergie did attempt to sign Varane 10 years ago but he rebuffed our attempts and left for RM. I believe even Jose wanted him in 2016 but RM did not want to sell.

I do agree with you on Ronaldo. A top class DM would've probably bettered our chances compared to signing him but at the same time, Ronaldo joining city is basically gift wrapping them the league before the season even began.

Carabao cup was the only chance some of these players would get. They just got their playtime even more limited.
Matic was good, other than that mediocrity at best. Martial isn't a striker anymore ( or ever). Ole needs to do better, 2 loses out of 7 games and one draw. Even the wins, bar the Leeds one, were all hard fought. Even Newcastle gave United massive problems. Yeah, its still early, but we've been saying that for 3 seasons now. Its time to see some progress.

No doubt you'll now get top 4. Spending more than anyone else will ensure that and Ronaldo will flat-track bully the ***** in this league. Individual attacking quality will bale out P poor coaching.

Think United’s league position is flattering to deceive atm. They have not really played any of the top sides yet. After the break, they face Leicester, Liverpool, Tottenham, City, Chelsea and Arsenal pretty much back-to-back.

If they are still near the top after that run of games, I’ll consider them proper title challengers this season

Think United’s league position is flattering to deceive atm. They have not really played any of the top sides yet. After the break, they face Leicester, Liverpool, Tottenham, City, Chelsea and Arsenal pretty much back-to-back.

If they are still near the top after that run of games, I’ll consider them proper title challengers this season
Even if let's say we go through those set of fixtures still around 3rd, I honestly doubt I'd still call us challengers. The gaffe typically hits a purple patch sometime during the season so it may come during that period.

Flying home today.
I really hope the pilot doesn't just "give it a go"...
I hope he does his f.ucking job.

You've been to Spain right mate?

That's two tests isn't it? Both coming back. The 48 HR and day 2 one? (Which they're scrapping Oct 1?).

Asking as I'm losing track of things with that and the passenger locater forms for Portugal next week. They've just changed their criteria tonight and are now accepting the NHS certificate as proof of being double vaxed. Which they weren't and you needed proof of a negative test before they'd allow you in. But as we're out Monday and back Wednesday, within the 3 day limit, we'll just do the antigen Sunday to cover our return and then the day 2 PCR on return. But then we have 6 hours in Valencia the way home so that's more PLF's for Spain. Along with the UK return.

Seriously man, they'll be no room for spare kecks with all this paperwork!

Talk about a changed World. Travel was never meant to be this hard!

Lanzarote.
I'm from Europe mate ;) I just flew there and flew back :)

I hate you. 😡. It'll pass.

Although I'll forgive you if you can box me an Irish passi. 😛

On top of everything else, we've now got to have proof of test and vaccination's and ID, along with taking a temp test, to get in the ground. That's if we even make it into Portugal to begin with!

This is kettling my head! And just watch me contract COVID over the weekend and fail the test Sunday .....

I hate you. 😡. It'll pass.

Although I'll forgive you if you can box me an Irish passi. 😛

On top of everything else, we've now got to have proof of test and vaccination's and ID, along with taking a temp test, to get in the ground. That's if we even make it into Portugal to begin with!

This is kettling my head! And just watch me contract COVID over the weekend and fail the test Sunday .....
Probably for UK it is harder, but think some EU contries still need to act like this. Specially if they come from so called red covid state countries, but definetly we have a bit easier traveling than you.

Not really. You are in the league from results.

Good win for the U23s against Everton. Absolute mayhem broke out though with 3/4 players getting red cards lol

In all seriousness that was ***** from everyone. Except for AWB and Varane.

Not helped by losing 2 key players. But conceding ***** like that. What was Cavani and DDG doing.

Greenwood your a talent lad but boy learn not to be so fecking greedy 3 great chances wasted when all he had to do was lay a simple pass off.

And Ole FFS! Stop picking Fred in midfield 😡