The Manchester United Thread

So even if the higher ups at the club believed he could turn things around, couldn't they have constructed a concrete plan in the event that things didn't? We just had a 2 week international break which would've been a prime opportunity (as Scouse alluded to) to organize a succession plan but they just sat on their arses and hoped for a miraculous turn around? Now, we're basically scrambling through a list of unrealistic targets while keeping the same backroom staff that Solskjaer delegated coaching responsibilities to. We have a crucial CL tie in 2 days and Chelsea on Saturday.

We are basically run like a championship team.

Personally, don't get all the fuss with Ten Hag. He has won a couple of Dutch league titles but thats it. Does anyone remember how the last highly rated manager from Ajax (who won numerous league titles) did in the EPL? Hint: Google Frank De Boer

Also dont even get me started on Rodgers. Good manager but is he really at the level to which United aspire to? Multiple top 4 finishes bottled. Numerous home defeats since last season.
De Boar is a weird one. I remember CP played well for a lot of their games but couldn't finish a meal to save their lives.

He was trying to implement that total football style of play but forgot he didnt have the creative players to implement that style.

Edit: or perhaps he's a football relic

So what! When the bench was shown Ole 9 times out of 10 completely ignored him and spoke with
Phelan or Carrick. And McKenna often cut a frustrated face. Most probably wasn’t Ole choice and didn’t fit in with Ole old boy club. Like Phelan, Carrick, Fletcher and his other staff he already worked with at previous clubs.
So even if the higher ups at the club believed he could turn things around, couldn't they have constructed a concrete plan in the event that things didn't? We just had a 2 week international break which would've been a prime opportunity (as Scouse alluded to) to organize a succession plan but they just sat on their arses and hoped for a miraculous turn around? Now, we're basically scrambling through a list of unrealistic targets while keeping the same backroom staff that Solskjaer delegated coaching responsibilities to. We have a crucial CL tie in 2 days and Chelsea on Saturday.

Its incompetence to the highest degree. Now they just have to pray that Pochettino becomes available in the summer. Otherwise got to roll wih Zidane/Rodgers/Ten Hag and hope for the best!

De Boar is a weird one. I remember CP played well for a lot of their games but couldn't finish a meal to save their lives.

He was trying to implement that total football style of play but forgot he didnt have the creative players to implement that style.

Also since when was winning a couple of dutch league titles a good enough cv to manage United? Shows you how far standards have fallen since Fergie left.

Also since when was winning a couple of dutch league titles a good enough cv to manage United? Shows you how far standards have fallen since Fergie left.
I mean, Pochettino has been my prime candidate for years now and he hasn't won anything of note 🤣

Staggering isn't it? I'd be struggling to be celebrating the PE Teacher going were I a Utd fan when the outcome now is '****! What do we do now? Anyone? ..... '

As much as it hurts to hear, especially from your biggest rivals (I feel your pain. I've been there) the Glazers have turned Utd into a continued laughing stock.

I mentioned they were one of the biggest clubs in the World a few posts up. But the longer you get away from even challenging for major honours, the less weight the name of the club carries as generations move on. (Again, been there. Done that.). We're fast approaching a decade since Ferguson's last title. Which before you know it, when the level of base incompetence to repeatedly make the same mistakes is THIS high right through the football club, 10 years becomes 15 becomes 20 etc. And then you're staring at another 27 year or longer title drought.

It's hard to countenance, with the financial resources available, and having the blueprint of how NOT to do things from most of the PL Liverpool, Utd could even begin to get on such a run again.Yet here we are. With the club as far away from the very top clubs since probably back in '86 when Ferguson took over.

You'll end up surpassing our 30 years f the Glazers remain that long.

| Luis Enrique on rumours about Cristiano Ronaldo wanting him at Manchester United: "Is it April Fool's today? (laughs)" Via: @DavidIbanez5

SSN now reporting Poch or Ten Hag. They don’t have a scooby. Will be someone else in an hour. Maybe Fernandes will choose Klopp 🤦🏻‍♂️
More likely they will want the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus... Come to think about it noting would surprise me now.

Championship more like Sunday League.

You forget Fergie only won a couple of Scottish league titles, the Scottish Cup and a Cup Winners cup none of which are exactly elite level (ok so he broke the Celtic/Rangers stranglehold but the Cup Winners Cup to be fair was the European competition with the lowest standing.

You forget Fergie only won a couple of Scottish league titles, the Scottish Cup and a Cup Winners cup none of which are exactly elite level (ok so he broke the Celtic/Rangers stranglehold but the Cup Winners Cup to be fair was the European competition with the lowest standing.

The Cup Winners was a **** to win mate TBF given every major club took the domestic Cup seriously back then and invariably won it.

I get what you’re saying but that and the UEFA Cup were oft times a higher quality than the big one. Ridiculous what Aberdeen and Dundee United did in Europe the early to mid ‘80’s.

The Cup Winners was a **** to win mate TBF given every major club took the domestic Cup seriously back then and invariably won it.

I get what you’re saying but that and the UEFA Cup were oft times a higher quality than the big one. Ridiculous what Aberdeen and Dundee United did in Europe the early to mid ‘80’s.
To be honest the UEFA out of the three was probably the hardest of all to win it was basically what the current Champions league is but without the league winners.

Fergie was a once-in-a-generation manager. You cant keep hoping that history will repeat itself again. When they arrived, United fans thought Ole or Moyes would be the next Ferguson. Look how that turned out.

He got Ajax to multiple 1/4 and 1/2 finals i CL, something none od United 'big name' managers could do. That itself is enough.

I mean, Pochettino has been my prime candidate for years now and he hasn't won anything of note 🤣

Pochettino made Spurs a consistent Top 4 club in the hardest league in the world with zero resources. Thats much much harder than winning the Dutch league with the most successful Dutch team of all time.

He got Ajax to multiple 1/4 and 1/2 finals i CL, something none od United 'big name' managers could do. That itself is enough.

Yeah because the other ‘big name’ managers actually won trophies

Pochettino made Spurs a consistent Top 4 club in the hardest league in the world with zero resources. Thats much much harder than winning the Dutch league with the most successful Dutch team of all time.

It's a whole other discussion that we don't need to think about until 2024 at the earliest, but if we were to look outside the club for the successor to Jürgen, as of now, he's the only man not currently at the club I'd be all over.

Context though. He bottles every big chance they have at finally pushing his spurs team to the next level (Leicester winning that season was an absolute bottle job). His side got progressively worse as the seasons went on and that CL run papered over the cracks of a woeful 18 months they were having. Also, he complained about not being backed in the transfer window but the moment Mitchell left and Levy gave more control to Poch in terms of signings it went downhill fast, the dross he kept signing are still at Spurs and has hamstrung the club today. Is he a decent manager probably yes but he won't be the savior united are hoping for as he has clear weaknesses that won't be alleviated as the structure he is coming into at united won't have changed and it seems Poch still has the same weaknesses at PSG.