The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Fair play to the Mike Dean for both penos. Yeah they are soft, but everyone has been saying pulling etc needs to be clamped down on. Consistent too.

Just wondering what genius at Man city saw the size and power of shawcross and decided that the perfect person to mark him was raheem sterling

Heard good things about this Boufal fella, supposed to be a tricky player. Will be keen to watch him

Chuckling at Leicester fans ..... 'I really hope we get Barcelona. Well fancy a trip there' ..... Not until the knock-outs at the earliest fella'.

They really don't understand how this works do they?

I shouldn't of mocked.

SO envious of Leicester fans right now. Porto, Brugge and Copenhagen are absolutely boss trips. Even if Copenhagen is pricey. Lucky so and so's! I'd of LOVED those.

SO glad I'm not an Arsenal fan. PSG and Basel are two of the worst sets of hooligans in Europe. Be safe there boys. Ludogorets is a 'meh' but at least Sofia is cheap as chips. Just grey and dull.

City I'd be well happy with. Barcelona and Monchengladbach would be boss. And Celtic is a handy one.

Tottenham I'd be mixed on. Moscow's a complete pain in the **** with visa's, distance and cost. Leverkusen and Nice/ Monaco are great trips.

*Note to self. Need to STOP beating self up on lack of European trips this year.

Given that Watford got rid of the manager that got them promoted and then the manager who kept them up easily and got them to an fa cup semi final Mazzari has to be feeling some pressure right now

Given that Watford got rid of the manager that got them promoted and then the manager who kept them up easily and got them to an fa cup semi final Mazzari has to be feeling some pressure right now

A little bit maybe but he lost to Chelsea and Arsenal, not Burnley and Hull. I think he will be fine. He is a very good manager and quite surprising a club like Watford can attract him.

Sterling finally showing what everyone knows he is capable off. An absolutely wonderful player who will hit the elite level one day.

City are sending a statement out here. West Ham are in complete tatters.

Yeah read something about that this morning. Not fussed tbh. Most managers seemed to be happy about it and other comps do the same now round the world going straight to peno. Think it's a good thing actually.

Just when you think they couldn't possibly make the Champions League any more of a joke than what they've turned it in to, they put forward this:

Uefa ready to scrap extra-time in Champions League and Europa League games

Thing that ruins extra time for me is that the away goals rule still counts so one team gets an advantage as they have 120 minutes to score one while the other team only gets 90 to get away goals. I can also sort of see what they mean extra time does commonly seem to be a short bit of football in between a physio coming on for someone with cramp and while it is tense is pretty dull to watch.

I think it should definitely still be in the final as it is one off so you don't get away goals and would prefer to still see it in other matches but, not the end of the world if it isn't

Personally completely disagree.

Away goals. Extra time. All part of the rich fabric of straight knockout European football that's worked perfectly pretty much without complaint for 50 plus years until recently. Everyone knows where they stand. Everyone knows what they have to do. Aside from the stupid and short lived 'Golden Goal' idea the mid '90's, it's been a constant and not like it's something new.

If it aint' broke, don't fix it!

No problem with away goals counting for ninety minutes but in theory at least everything should be equal for both sides except whatever happens on the pitch and while playing at home does still hold a slight advantage in extra time an away goal may as well be golden goal really

A brief history of (extra) time: is the format right for the modern game? | FourFourTwo

An interesting read on extra time apparently only 42% of games that go into extra time have a winner at the end of extra time so the majority of them go to penalties and apparently 10 of the last 12 champions league and European championships to go to extra time haven't produced a goal. I would like UEFA to go for the South American version where you get extra time only in a final but other than that wouldn't mind seeing it scrapped

Back