The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
hmmm.. recent statement from retired referee Halsey.

14212199_1291613227537350_839919112479132134_n.png

^ PGMOL deny Mark Halsey claims he was told to avoid reporting incidents | Football News | Sky Sports

Even though everything is denied (as expected), it's unusual that such a respected former referee would come out with allegations like this if false... surely some truth in it?

I don't think anyones ever doubted the game is corrupt. Even more so this era with all the ridiculous amounts of money sloshing around surely?

I just never thought we'd get a high profile ref. being the whistle blower. (Pun intended.).

Hopefully they don't sweep it all under the carpet as per.

Last edited:
It's just one of those things though mate, like WWE as a kid, you always had a fair idea it was fake, but when it's all revealed to you it shocks the f**k outta you hahaha

Extra time is fine. I'd prefer if they did something about penalty shoot-outs instead. I honestly didn't realize just how much bullshit pens are, until we went in the Euro in the pens.

And I don't mean because we lost, after all quarter-final was already a huge success for Poland.

What killed me was seeing Fabianski cry like a 5-year old girl. He's a 30 year old grown man, and he was still sobing to the interviewer good 30 minutes after the game. The pens were so good he simply couldn't do anything. To me it's just unfair to goalkeepers, you train your entire life, you play the biggest game of your career, and all of that isn't worth ****. As long as pens are well hit, goalkeepers are helpless bystanders, they may as well leave the goal empty.

Extra time is fine. I'd prefer if they did something about penalty shoot-outs instead. I honestly didn't realize just how much bullshit pens are, until we went in the Euro in the pens.

And I don't mean because we lost, after all quarter-final was already a huge success for Poland.

What killed me was seeing Fabianski cry like a 5-year old girl. He's a 30 year old grown man, and he was still sobing to the interviewer good 30 minutes after the game. The pens were so good he simply couldn't do anything. To me it's just unfair to goalkeepers, you train your entire life, you play the biggest game of your career, and all of that isn't worth ****. As long as pens are well hit, goalkeepers are helpless bystanders, they may as well leave the goal empty.

What they do with (ice/field)hockey is a pretty cool variant on penalties. Just not sure if it would work for football since the goal is that big. Shoot outs are so intense and both the attacker and GK have a huge part in if it is going to be a goal or not.

Thats just part of being a goalkeeper though they could have the game if their life and make 10 world class saves only for an injury time **** to take a huge deflection and go in. Goalies are helpless to any well placed and powerful shot that's how it works unfortunately for them they can be absolutely helpless in the big moments but it is part of the job that you will face shots at big times that you can do noting about however harsh it is

Thats just part of being a goalkeeper though they could have the game if their life and make 10 world class saves only for an injury time **** to take a huge deflection and go in. Goalies are helpless to any well placed and powerful shot that's how it works unfortunately for them they can be absolutely helpless in the big moments but it is part of the job that you will face shots at big times that you can do noting about however harsh it is

It's not nearly the same thing though. Normal time goals are simply the battle of skill, goalkeeper vs. shooter. Sometimes the shooter will outskill the goalkeeper, and that's fine, it's part of the game. But goalkeeper can always improve his chances by gong out faster, positioning himself better, he's not a helpless bystander there.

Meanwhile in the pens, the odds are stacked against you, and your only real hope is that the shoot is actually saveable. Might as well have them race Ulsain Bolt, their only hope is that he trips. If he doesn't, tough luck. Does that seem fair to you?

Normal time pens I can understand, it's a punishment for breaking the rules, so the chances don't need to be even. But shoot-outs are bullshit.

It's not nearly the same thing though. Normal time goals are simply the battle of skill, goalkeeper vs. shooter. Sometimes the shooter will outskill the goalkeeper, and that's fine, it's part of the game. But goalkeeper can always improve his chances by gong out faster, positioning himself better, he's not a helpless bystander there.

Meanwhile in the pens, the odds are stacked against you, and your only real hope is that the shoot is actually saveable. Might as well have them race Ulsain Bolt, their only hope is that he trips. If he doesn't, tough luck. Does that seem fair to you?

Normal time pens I can understand, it's a punishment for breaking the rules, so the chances don't need to be even. But shoot-outs are bullshit.

Any way that you decide games in a quick fashion is going to have a loser who will be devastated, one side will be ecstatic the other side will be depressed thats how it is. No matter what if you have a sudden way of deciding a game then someone will be sad you point out the goalkeeper what about the players who never took a penalty and had nothing to do with it someone will be sad in a tight ending and they have to deal with it

What they do with (ice/field)hockey is a pretty cool variant on penalties. Just not sure if it would work for football since the goal is that big. Shoot outs are so intense and both the attacker and GK have a huge part in if it is going to be a goal or not.

I play field hockey, and the 1v1 is a much better way of deciding a game than a penalty shootout, or strokes as they're called in hockey. Whilst it's still not perfect, at least it's a test of actual skill on both the striker and the keeper's part, rather than reducing an entire match to a single kick/flick, which isn't much of a representation of the actual sport.

Love penalty shoot-outs personally. Ultimate test of nerve and skill.

The only time people tend to nark about them is when they've lost.

But then you're NEVER going to get the perfect formula that placates everyone. If it 'aint broke, don't fix it.

Love penalty shoot-outs personally. Ultimate test of nerve and skill.

The only time people tend to nark about them is when they've lost.

But then you're NEVER going to get the perfect formula that placates everyone. If it 'aint broke, don't fix it.

Bein a Liverpool fan penalty shootouts are normally great, apart from Feb!

Not Premier League but Dundee United goalkeeper Cammy Bell managed to save a first half hat trick of penalties and is now owed quite a few drinks I would guess

Has anyone gotten onto the absolute joke of a disgrace at West Ham BTW in 'their' new ground?

Absolutely NO Police inside the stadium. All the stewards aren't West Ham stewards from Upton Park (They all got sacked after they left), and are all out of West Ham's control as they only rent the stadium. With FAR too few of them in both number and professionalism. Every game there to date has been getting uglier and uglier with West Ham fighting West Ham (basically lads just getting together and sitting were they want and not taking any 'queries' from anyone else too kindly), culminating in Watford getting absolutely leathered inside and out last weekend as there's absolutely NO segregation. You've West Ham lads that are long banned tipping up as there's no Police/ spotters within the ground (and won't be until DECEMBER for some strange reason despite West Ham's plee's to the Met), so they're just having a complete free run again and attacking anything. Their own that complain included.

God forbid the first 'big' club they have down there when it will be absolutely carnage the way it's going. Whether West Ham need to bite the bullet and offer the Met WHATEVER it takes to get Policing in there or just turn around to the PL and say this can't go on. I don't know but something needs to happen and quick as it's returning to the bad old days REAL fast inside and out that new ground.

SO happy that L'pool don't go there until the last away of the season when it'll surely be sorted out.

Complete disgrace in lack of planning and foresight from all concerned.

Last edited:
and they are only paying 2.5 a year, with the gov supplying all services. We (MCFC) pay 4mil and supply our own staffing/services.

and they are only paying 2.5 a year, with the gov supplying all services. We (MCFC) pay 4mil and supply our own staffing/services.

Absolutely crazy situation that West Ham have absolutely no control over. Can't believe nobody foresaw this in the planning for the move. The Met are fixing to have a GIGANTIC payday for Policing as it's getting dire straights. Watford are the first oppo fans that have been attacked inside the ground and the got a real doing by all accounts.

I don't know West Ham's fixtures up until December, but can you imagine the potential carnage if either City or Utd say are down there? Or someone like Tottenham? It'll be like an open invitation for lads from all sides to come out to 'play.'

Back