The Premier League Thread

Most manager's still have the final say in England as well the top end which Leicester are trying to break into.

It depends on your model.

Yes, but thats completely different from being heavily involved in transfers
He'll say if he wants or does want a player, outside of that like most managers that transfer isn't in his hands. He won't have been anywhere near the negotiations

Now you're arguing semantics.

I never suggested Rodgers would be handling negotiations. I just said he (being part of the final process) and Leicester had played a blinder IMHO.

Now you're arguing semantics.

I never suggested Rodgers would be handling negotiations. I just said he (being part of the final process) and Leicester had played a blinder IMHO.

he wouldnt have been part of that, indeed he wasnt. His own words. Can't play a "blinder" in something you're not part of

So he didn't have the final say on whether he wanted him to stay until their valuation had been met or not?

Make your mind up. This is getting confusing.

So he didn't have the final say on whether he wanted him to stay until their valuation had been met or not?

Make your mind up. This is getting confusing.

"Every player has his price, we need to make sure we secure a replacement" is what he said. " we know who we want, and we're moving on that, the money, that's with the boys who look after that"

He doesn't handle anything to do with valuation. Neither would Klopp, or Solskjaer, nor Poch. It's really not confusing at all if one has any inkling as to how clubs work. Appreciate not everyone gets an inside view but this idea that managers sign off on final figures is wrong

Again. semantics and you're now playing with the point. (I never even suggested he set the valuation on the player.).

Which is rendering this discussion completely pointless.

Behave mate hey? van Dijk was already among the top CH's in the league on a massive upward trajectory before we signed him. Had he not let it be known from the outset he only wanted to play in one place, there'd have been an outright bidding war between the top 6. Doubtless Utd included. He's just continued on that path at ours. You'd be struggling to put Maguire in the top 6 CH's in the league currently,

And this sounds like I don't like him. I do, He's a good, solid defender who instantly upgrades Utd. (Not that that's hard like as Sakho would upgrade on Jones on Smalling.). But when you're paying World record difference making money, that's what you expect. Not just 'good.' He's the type that takes you into the bracket of challenging for top 4. But if you've aspirations for ever challenging for the biggest prizes again, he's not the type to take you over the top.

Koulibaly's arriving for that? Or to a lesser extent de Ligt? You're sitting up and taking notice. Even Toby at his later stage of his career. Maguire it's just a 'meh.'

That's two of the top 6 most expensive defenders in history this summer. And will they improve the side to anything like that?

Leicester replace him with say Dunk and Cahill for a season or two, with the extra in the bank, they've done a roaring piece of business IMHO with out a greatly significant drop-off.

Wrong. Big clubs weren't after VVD for 2 reason. He's a loose cannon and no body wanted to take risk because they already had established defenders. And two, same goes for HM, he was too expensive at the time. But Liverpool were desperate ( similarities, huh?) and it worked out for them. VVD fits Klopps system perfectly. He raised his game because of his manager and better teammates. Give the fair chance to HM as well. Its pretty much the same situation.

Again. semantics and you're now playing with the point. (I never even suggested he set the valuation on the player.).

Which is rendering this discussion completely pointless.

It's not semantics. It's details, which absolutely matter. The only thing rendering this discussion pointless is your dismissal of details.

So now we're doing revisionist history on Van Dijk?

This is a night.

*Edit* Although I do like the way you just inferred City and Chelsea aren't big clubs V. That did tickle me.

Last edited:
It's not semantics. It's details, which absolutely matter. The only thing rendering this discussion pointless is your dismissal of details.

Not at all. You're just trying to out smart yourself for heck knows why? And then being condescending with it.

He was involved in the process.That isn't to say he was involved in setting a fee/ negotiations, or whatever else you want to add. You keep going off on tangents to things that aren't being said. But hey, if it'll help let's take Brendan completely out of the equation and say Leicester played a blinder.

Better?

This is a night.

*Edit* Although I do like the way you just inferred City and Chelsea aren't big clubs V. That did tickle me.
Everyone could see that VVD was playing to a high level at Southampton. The only issue he had is clubs were wary if he could step up as it seems like the game was to easy for him e.g concentration issues and switching off during games. I remember arguing with you that the same issues could persist if he signs for us but VVD although he has improved, the biggest improvement for him is being consistent he very rarely switches off but the same player that impressed with the saints is still there just at a consistent level now. I don't think you can compare him with Maguire who will improve yous lot but he has deficiencies in his game that will always be there such as being slow on the turn and his recovery pace isn't at the level but moving to UTD might push him on to take his game to the another level but I don't think he will ever be world class imo.

Everyone could see that VVD was playing to a high level at Southampton. The only issue he had is clubs were wary if he could step up as it seems like the game was to easy for him e.g concentration issues and switching off during games. I remember arguing with you that the same issues could persist if he signs for us but VVD although he has improved, the biggest improvement for him is being consistent he very rarely switches off but the same player that impressed with the saints is still there just at a consistent level now. I don't think you can compare him with Maguire who will improve yous lot but he has deficiencies in his game that will always be there such as being slow on the turn and his recovery pace isn't at the level but moving to UTD might push him on to take his game to the another level but I don't think he will ever be world class imo.

It's the continued re-writing of the whole episode on here that's so amusing mate.

There's not many things I know for certain, but that from an informed, highly reliable source I do how that all went down and just who was in for him and his response from the outset.

This is a night.

You're the one who likes to bend things to suit your agenda. Beside, thats not the point.
Point is, Liverpool took a gamble on talented defender, payed what Soton wanted, just as United did. Similar seasons for both players, similar price tag and there should be similar expectations.

You're the one who likes to bend things to suit your agenda. Beside, thats not the point.
Point is, Liverpool took a gamble on talented defender, payed what Soton wanted, just as United did. Similar seasons for both players, similar price tag and there should be similar expectations.

Paid 25m over what they were asking in the end.

Excuse me?

Bending what exactly?

Because Klopp tapped him up. The club even had to issue an apology.

It wasn't so much the 'tapping up' (that's just an accepted 'unacceptable' thing clubs turn a blind eye to to get deals done) as the ******** that decided to rub their noses in it publicly before the deal was actually done. That's what natural P Southampton off and ended costing another £20 million or so and a windows wait. Some serious behind the scenes ego managing had to go on to smooth that out.

So, Im going to rate Lpool players, their starting 11? Sorry if I miss someone.

Alisson - 8. Great keeper, if he continues like last 2 seasons, he should be 9.
Who's playing LB for Lpool?
AAT - 7, potential wise? 9 for sure.
Sakho, Lovren - they dont matter.
Vvd - One of the best, if not the best in his position. 10
Henderson - consistent 7. Never disappoints.
Keita? Milner? GW? All good, at least 6.
Sadio Mane. 8 for sure. 9 from time to time.
Salah - Well, this might be weird, but 9. Maybe could have give him the 10.
Firmino. Important for Lpool, but I dont think he's amazing. 7.