The Premier League Thread

This virus has claimed it's first football club, Rhyl FC of the JD Crymu North announced on the 21st April that it was starting winding up proceedings, the fans association are now trying to save the club in some form. As a fan of a club (Altrincham) who have themselves been saved in the past by their fans I can only hope that they achieve their target and save the club in some form. https://www.rhylfc.co.uk/news/rhyl-fc-belle-vue-ltd-commences-formal-winding-up-procedures

The Dutch have gone too early IMHO.

I don't see how we won't conclude our season. Even if it rolls over into 2021. UEFA can pontificate all they want but the likelihood of any European season next season is the slimmest side of slim to say the least.

All that said. I don't think we should be talking about resuming our game, behind closed doors or not, at all right now personally. We're a LONG way off from that stage and it seems totally crass to be even having the discussion with the death toll as sickeningly large as it still currently is.

Stay safe. Stay in!

The Dutch have gone too early IMHO.

I don't see how we won't conclude our season. Even if it rolls over into 2021. UEFA can pontificate all they want but the likelihood of any European season next season is the slimmest side of slim to say the least.

All that said. I don't think we should be talking about resuming our game, behind closed doors or not, at all right now personally. We're a LONG way off from that stage and it seems totally crass to be even having the discussion with the death toll as sickeningly large as it still currently is.

Stay safe. Stay in!
Totally agree. I'm sure most fans would like for the season to be ended, yes Liverpool will win it but to canx now and declare them champions would be a hollow victory as there will always be an element of what if to it. As for declaring the season null and void that in my view is a non-starter. Football and sport in general can wait there are far more important things to worry about at this time.

Stay In, Stay Safe.

Dont care anything else than Leeds coming up. If they void season and stuck them still down there...

I wonder if the fit and proper test for owners will go through in relation to the MBS group attempt to buy Newcastle. Unfortunately, football has proven time and time again money talks and the ones I feel for are Newcastle fans who have no say in jumping from the frying pan (Mike Ashley) into the fire (with the Saudis).

Complete idiotic if you ask me
Nearly as idiotic as Arsenal allowing players to go back to training today at Colney (all be it individual training). Their excuse is players might get mobbed by selfie hunters if the players were to run in any of the London parks! Forgive me if I'm stupid but how many premiership players actually live in central London.

Nearly as idiotic as Arsenal allowing players to go back to training today at Colney (all be it individual training). Their excuse is players might get mobbed by selfie hunters if the players were to run in any of the London parks! Forgive me if I'm stupid but how many premiership players actually live in central London.
Hopefully the government see sense and doesn’t start caving to pressure from sports etc

Hopefully the government see sense and doesn’t start caving to pressure from sports etc
I doubt the Government will cave in willingly especially now Boris is back in charge (I feel his little brush with death will affect how he makes decisions regarding this crisis). The problem is the clubs want to get back to money making and the only real way most of them can do that is to play. Even if it is behind closed doors and game televised money will come in (not as much maybe as with crowds) that way. I'm more interested now in how clubs look into how they finance their day to day business as it is clear a reliance on loans, gate takings and shirt sales is not enough. The work done by Woody with regards to all the commercial deals with noodle companies etc doesn't look so stupid now.

RO has gone back up in Germany to 1.0 after restrictions were eased.

Not good news for getting back to normal.

Could have big implications for the football league.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/202...ers-health-coronavirus-germany-institute.html

A bit more on the German informaiton,

German COVID-19 spread worsens as lockdown eases

First signs that transmission of the novel coronavirus has again picked up were visible in German official data, just as the country attempts a cautious easing of its lockdown measures.

The reproduction or infection rate under close watch by health authorities mounted again to around 1.0, meaning each infected person passes the virus on to one other, figures from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for disease control showed.

Since mid-April, the infection rate had sunk as low as 0.7 before inching back up again.

Health Minister Jens Spahn earlier in April declared the pandemic "under control" in Germany, as Merkel and state premiers agreed smaller shops could open from last week and some pupils return to school from next Monday.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/germany-covid-19-spread-worsens-lockdown-eases-12683848

France's Ligue 1 and 2 seasons are CANCELLED as their prime minister demands that no football is played until August (with or without fans)... leaving PSG likely to take the title
  • Prime Minister Edouard Philippe is set to announce the next stage of lockdown
  • Plans had been formed in France for Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 to start on June 17
  • Philippe is expected to say that football will not be able to resume until August
  • UEFA has set an August 2 deadline for countries to complete domestic leagues
  • Now Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 will be cancelled on Tuesday due to the announcement
  • A meeting in May will decide final places, and promotion and relegation

Sport of any kind has been canceled until September in France. A lot of reports saying Spain and Italy will follow suit with France. I knew that would happen in Germany once things started to be eased back to soon. And yet some idiots in this country want football back ASAP

Last edited:
Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 17.26.26.png

Plans to resume the Premier League season will step up this week in what has been labelled "Project Restart".

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work on Monday.

The league is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July to fit in with Uefa's European competition plans. This would require full training to begin by 18 May.

Top-flight clubs will meet on Friday to discuss options for the restart.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said he has been in contact with clubs about restarting the Premier League "as soon as possible".

"I personally have been in talks with the Premier League with a view to getting football up and running as soon as possible in order to support the whole football community," Dowden said during a parliamentary questions session for the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport,

"But, of course, any such moves would have to be consistent with public health guidance."

Full Article