The Question: What has gone wrong for Fernando Torres at Chelsea?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 8K
Lets not lose sight here people. I heard it many of time with Utd fans about Rooney the whole class is perminant form is temporay. Torres has played non stop for what 3-4years now for club and country even when he has been unfit he was relied upon to play for Liverpool. He needs full rest which he will get this summer and then the whole friendly month or so games and training for the team to adapt to him and visa vera. Big deals like this normally get done in the summer so the new player joining gets used to his teamates and new clubs way of playing and visa vera but this deal was done mid season when there was no time for this. For people to write him off already is ludacrus, even when he was a Liverpool i never said he was finished and thats because he isent.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Because even though Drogba may not have been on top form, Torres has been on astoundingly shocking form so far this season. Also, Drogba offers far more to a team than Torres does, hence Jonathan Wilson's questioning.

Maybe so but how will Torres learn to play in this team if he dosent get minutes? If Drogba isent playing well and Torres still isent getting games then when will he get games?

Maybe so but how will Torres learn to play in this team if he dosent get minutes? If Drogba isent playing well and Torres still isent getting games then when will he get games?

And if the intention was for Torres to replace Drogba, of course, there should be no compulsion to play him. He could come off the bench, slowly feeling his way into the role he would occupy next season.

Specifically answers that.

Specifically answers that.

But Torres isent a player you bring off the bench is he? If all strikers are doing poorly then i expect them to replace him with Torres because he is another option. I admit he shouldnt have started last night or even on his debut against Liverpool but appart from that i have no problem with him starting at all.

But Torres isent a player you bring off the bench is he? If all strikers are doing poorly then i expect them to replace him with Torres because he is another option. I admit he shouldnt have started last night or even on his debut against Liverpool but appart from that i have no problem with him starting at all.

Neither is Drogba?

i just dont know what to say with torres how can someone like him who was scoring for fun seasons ago be shockingly poor it just goes to show that if u dont have confidence then you can be the best in the world but u will still play ****. but with rooney even when playing bad his link up play was always superb. i just think that torres relys heavily on his pace and now that he has lost about a yar his whole games messed up. feel so sorry for him when he got booked before he went of i thought he was gonna cry.

He hasn't been himself for quite some time now, not just for Chelsea but he was poor for us this season. Having said that for most of the season he has been partnered with other strikers (which doesn't work) and has had a lack of quality service. Great player, glad we got rid of him though, his attitude is pretty bad and it takes the pressure off many of our other players.

Neither is Drogba?

But when your not playing well you dont deserve to start. Carlo had a tough decision to make he had 3 strikers all out of form so why does it matter who he plays.

But when your not playing well you dont deserve to start. Carlo had a tough decision to make he had 3 strikers all out of form so why does it matter who he plays.

Because Drogba has more to his game that he can offer. And his form hasn't been as bad as Torres'.

Because Drogba has more to his game that he can offer. And his form hasn't been as bad as Torres'.

Not true, unless you have watched every minute both have played then surely you cant judge that. Lately Torres's performances have been much better than Drogba's without a dout. When Drogba is on top form and is intrested then yes i believe Drogba offers more than any other forward in the world but he has to be in the mood and lately he has not been. Torres's link up play and general performance has been at a better standard than both Drogba and Anelka of late.

Last edited:
Not true, unless you have watched minute both have played then surely you cant judge that. Lately Torres's performances have been much better than Drogba's without a dout. When Drogba is on top form and is intrested then yes i believe Drogba offers more than any other forward in the world but he has to be in the mood and lately he has not been. Torres's link up play and general performance has been at a better standard than both Drogba and Anelka of late.

Could have told him not to be in the mood last night to save those 21 seconds of worry. :P

And I was just saying Drogba isn't a super sub either, because you said Torres isn't a striker you bring off the bench. They don't work together, so one of them has to, and Drogba clearly should have started last night.

I'm sure Rio and Vidic would have been more concerned about facing Drogba from the start than El Statue.

Personally I would have played Torres AND Drogba ahead of Anelka.

As for the topic, goals will eventually come. Think he needs a good preseason and to stay injury free

Could have told him not to be in the mood last night to save those 21 seconds of worry. :P

And I was just saying Drogba isn't a super sub either, because you said Torres isn't a striker you bring off the bench. They don't work together, so one of them has to, and Drogba clearly should have started last night.

I fully agree Drogba should have started last night and Ancelotti has even admitted he got it wrong. And Drogba is Chelsea's top scorer from coming off the bench and netting so he is pretty decent coming off the bench. In an ideal world Chelsea will keep Drogba and let him be a fringe player coming off the bench late in games if things arnt going our way. That way we can still build the team around Torres with the players behind him etc.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

I'm sure Rio and Vidic would have been more concerned about facing Drogba from the start than El Statue.

Personally I would have played Torres AND Drogba ahead of Anelka.

As for the topic, goals will eventually come. Think he needs a good preseason and to stay injury free

Without a dout and thats why Drogba should have started. But the problem i have is that we kept kicking it long for Torres who was never going to win an airial against Utd defence. If we played it down the chanels to him then maybe it would have been different but we have no natural winger (i dont count Malouda as he is *****).

I'm not denying Torres's record or quality but I found it kind of odd that Chelsea would spend £50 Million on a player who is out of form and low on confidence when Chelsea themselves were struggling and out of form. People say Torres needs to adapt but he's already adjusted to this League at Liverpool and yes I suppose you need a bit of time with the team as well but he's a superb striker (well the price tag suggests) and should be able to put away chances. Personally, I feel Chelsea shouldn't of signed him in the first place or at least waited until the summer. Sturridge is now proving what an asset he could of been in the second half of the season. Funny, how an inexperienced player such as Sturridge can make an immediate impact at Bolton whilst £50 Million Torres struggles to do so at Chelsea. Like others, I believe Torres needs a rest over the summer because it seems his form is paying the price for those recurring injuries he suffered at Liverpool.

I'm not denying Torres's record or quality but I found it kind of odd that Chelsea would spend £50 Million on a player who is out of form and low on confidence when Chelsea themselves were struggling and out of form. People say Torres needs to adapt but he's already adjusted to this League at Liverpool and yes I suppose you need a bit of time with the team as well but he's a superb striker (well the price tag suggests) and should be able to put away chances. Personally, I feel Chelsea shouldn't of signed him in the first place or at least waited until the summer. Sturridge is now proving what an asset he could of been in the second half of the season. Funny, how an inexperienced player such as Sturridge can make an immediate impact at Bolton whilst £50 Million Torres struggles to do so at Chelsea. Like others, I believe Torres needs a rest over the summer because it seems his form is paying the price for those recurring injuries he suffered at Liverpool.

We needed to sign him now because of the financial fair play coming into play in the summer. You say why would you pay 50million for an out of form striker but im sure Utd would have still got 50mill+ if Rooney went through with his plan to leave when he was in his baran spell. Torres's form will come back and although he isent scoring goals his general play has been excellent.

Oh right, fair enough.

You raise a good point about Sturridge though and its somthing many Chelsea supporters said before he went to Bolton. I said he needed starts and now he is getting that he is proving what a great player he is. Honestly cant wait till he comes back next season.

I fully agree Drogba should have started last night and Ancelotti has even admitted he got it wrong. And Drogba is Chelsea's top scorer from coming off the bench and netting so he is pretty decent coming off the bench. In an ideal world Chelsea will keep Drogba and let him be a fringe player coming off the bench late in games if things arnt going our way. That way we can still build the team around Torres with the players behind him etc.

I think when Drogba's been coming off the bench for Torres he's just gone out to prove how good he is and that he should have started the game imo.

I think when Drogba's been coming off the bench for Torres he's just gone out to prove how good he is and that he should have started the game imo.

Yer he has been, but the way Chelsea played last night it was set up for Drogba and Ancelotti should have known that. Personly after watching the first leg and seeing Drogba make Evra look amatuer as he did when he came on last night i would have started Drogba wide right (up against Evra) with Malouda wide left and Torres through the middle.

If you don't create chances for him he can't score, as simple as that. At Liverpool he had Gerrard behind him who continuously picked him out with through balls, whereas at Chelsea he has no one. The only glimpse of a partnership was on Saturday when Yossi Benayoun came on and linked up well with him.

With the current players Chelsea have, we won't be seeing the best of Fernando Torres.
I reckon he would play good with Lampard or a signing like Ozil, etc.

He hasn't been himself for quite some time now, not just for Chelsea but he was poor for us this season. Having said that for most of the season he has been partnered with other strikers (which doesn't work) and has had a lack of quality service. Great player, glad we got rid of him though, his attitude is pretty bad and it takes the pressure off many of our other players.
He's a good player but we got a great price for him and were able to invest in new players. Now we aren't a 'two man team' anymore.

Torres' best attribute is meant to be pace, but have you seen him run now? I reckon he could get outpaced by Sol Campbell, I never thought he was very fast anyway. He's a good finisher though, but a bit lazy, a bit like Berba.

He doesn't have the skill Berba has :P I would be shocked if he doesn't get in to form next season really !!!

Back