The Question: What has gone wrong for Fernando Torres at Chelsea?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 8K
Well Nando did play exceptionally well against a half-fit Rio.

I'd guess if Drogba was starting then Fergie would have hauled Rio off almost immediately

I still think he'll come good. Get him playing as the lone striker with a proper creator and Torres will find his confidence again in time. He may not get back to his best but I don't think he'll be anything like the flop that Shevchenko was.

As for whether he was signed by Ancelotti or not, the fact remains that he can still be a useful player for Chelsea. There might have to be a large influx and/or exodus this summer, but Torres is, IMO, good enough to build the team around. Wilson has a point about that being a big gamble though.

I think he undervalued the support he had at anfield. Let's be honest no matter how ***** he played or how awful his body language was he was a protected species, team mates, fans staff all defended him with sincerity. While Chelsea are saying all the right things, I don't think he or anyone else buys into it. He HAS to perform. 50mil means you are the messiah, and here's the problem, he's starting to drown in a sea of expectation. Ancellotti's a lame duck, the whole team is underperforming and he's the poster boy of it. To top it off he has to be looking at Liverpool at seeing how much fun they're having (just from body language not so much results) compared to the the current Chelsea body langauge. I really do think he should've gone at the end of the season. A new coach, a rest and a little bit less pressure. I would be very surprised if he ever returned to his old form. I think he's just lost it mentally and physically. It's just not fun for him to go out and play anymore.

Just a comparison with Rooneys goal drought he had and not once did anyone question whether he was finished.

Fernando Torres January 2011-Present
Games: 14
Mins on Pitch: 14h 25m
Goal Attempts: 27
Shots on Target: 12
Shots off Target: 15
Shot Accuracy: 44%

Wayne Rooney March 2010-August2010
Games: 15
Mins on Pitch: 18h 33m
Goal Attempts: 30
Shots on Target: 14
Shots off Target: 16
Shot Accuracy: 47%

Alot of comparisons there i believe and its very intresting to see.

Rooney's drought was not on the back of a 50m transfer. Had he moved to Madrid and had a drought like that I am sure he would have got as much stick as Fernando.

Last edited:
Rooney's drought was not on the back of a 50m transfer. Had he moved to Madrid and had a doubt like that I am sure he would have got as much stick as Fernando.

No your right, Rooney was already at a club that he knew well and was settled. Torres is getting used to new things even if it is the same country it must not be easy.

its not just his goal drought its the fact that it doesn't seem like he is trying last match van der sar covered more ground than him.

Rooney is a all-round brilliant striker, he's not a fantastic finisher like Van Nisterooy, a great target man like Zigic or a lightening player like Walcott, but he is still brilliant. Torres, on the other hand, is not good at anything really except scoring, and he's not doing that - that's why we're worried. If it was someone like Kuyt, who is more a support striker than poacher, then we wouldn't be worried.

its not just his goal drought its the fact that it doesn't seem like he is trying last match van der sar covered more ground than him.

Of corse he is trying, no footballer goes out not to try. And the VDS stat is flawed, Torres only played 45minutes and most of the time the ball went over his head because of the supply.

Rooney is a all-round brilliant striker, he's not a fantastic finisher like Van Nisterooy, a great target man like Zigic or a lightening player like Walcott, but he is still brilliant. Torres, on the other hand, is not good at anything really except scoring, and he's not doing that - that's why we're worried. If it was someone like Kuyt, who is more a support striker than poacher, then we wouldn't be worried.

Precisement. I'd like to see Rooney and Torres' assists over the period looked at.

Of corse he is trying, no footballer goes out not to try. And the VDS stat is flawed, Torres only played 45minutes and most of the time the ball went over his head because of the supply.
Yeah, and? That's no excuse. Torres isn't probably isn't trying, not every footballer tries. Torres didn't really try for Spain in the World Cup either. But hey, why do I care, we got £50m for him:P!

Of course some won't try. Are you suggesting Balotelli is trying as hard as he can?

LOL. Torres covered 5.11km in the first half, had he played the full match he would have covered about 10.22km. That would have been more than (not including players who didn't play 90 minutes) :

Hernandez
Anelka
VDS
Cech
Ivanovic
Ferdinand
Vidic
Terry
And would have been just less than Evra

Also he covered more ground than Drogba, but nobody mentions that do they?

So I think you should think before making comments like that.

LOL. Torres covered 5.11km in the first half, had he played the full match he would have covered about 10.22km. That would have been more than (not including players who didn't play 90 minutes) :

Hernandez
Anelka
VDS
Cech
Ivanovic
Ferdinand
Vidic
Terry
And would have been just less than Evra

Also he covered more ground than Drogba, but nobody mentions that do they?

So I think you should think before making comments like that.
Well done Sherlock, but players tire in the second half and Torres isn't the fittest of all players. And the players you named aren't exactly atheltic, Hernandez sits on the shoulder of the defender, Anelka is isolated on the wing and Evra is a full back and he still covered more space.

Last edited:
Well done Sherlock, but players tire in the second half and Torres isn't the fittest of all players. And teh players you named aren't exactly atheltic, Hernandez sits on the shoulder of the defender, Anelka is isolated on the wing and Evra is a full back and he still covered more space.

How are they not athletic? They are professional footballers. Evra is an attacking full back and should cover more ground than Torres. Torres is a striker and much like a CB doesn't move from his position too much, he's not a b2b CM y'know? And just because they tire it doesn't mean that they can't continue to cover the same distance until the end.

Rooney is second best assistant in league sharing the spot with arshavin,baines....

The facts are taken from last season and the world cup not this season mate.

Yeah, and? That's no excuse. Torres isn't probably isn't trying, not every footballer tries. Torres didn't really try for Spain in the World Cup either. But hey, why do I care, we got £50m for him:P!

Of corse he is trying other wise he wouldnt be playing and the fans wouldnt be backing him. 50mill for a player who always scored against us, happy days lol.

Of course some won't try. Are you suggesting Balotelli is trying as hard as he can?

Of corse he is trying, he has issues there is a difference.

Well done Sherlock, but players tire in the second half and Torres isn't the fittest of all players. And teh players you named aren't exactly atheltic, Hernandez sits on the shoulder of the defender, Anelka is isolated on the wing and Evra is a full back and he still covered more space.

But still, people find faults with Torres but leave out othere facts.

How are they not athletic? They are professional footballers. Evra is an attacking full back and should cover more ground than Torres. Torres is a striker and much like a CB doesn't move from his position too much, he's not a b2b CM y'know? And just because they tire it doesn't mean that they can't continue to cover the same distance until the end.
Yeah, Vidic is so atheltic and has the work rate of Gerrard [sarcastic]. Anyway, I agree Torres is a good player and maybe he is trying but he isn't on form. However, I don't think he is working hard enough.

Back