The Return of Aitor Herrera - The Boss of Bilbao

• Thread starter Thread starter Klippybo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 467
  • Views Views 157K
Been a silent watcher but been loving every bit of it as always :) You seemed to have this pretty much nailed now, looking forward to your Pentagon Challenge if decide to do it :)

images

APRIL

A good month - even though we lost twice! Firstly in the league we are 1 win away from the title. We could have won it away to Sevilla but lost that game. However before that Muniain netted 5 in a 7-1 win over our great rivals Real Sociedad.

In the Champions League we thumped Bayern Munich before coming out on top over Man Utd in the semis - sneaking through on away goals.

-------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 3-0 Levante
Muniain 3

Another first-half hat-trick for Muniain. Griezmann and Benat was taken off injured while Iborra got sent-off for them in the 2nd half. Muniain's first came after 18sec - a new record.

-----------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League QF 2nd Leg

Athletic Bilbao (1) 4-1 Bayern Munich (1)
Muniain 2, San Jose, Bernal
(Agg: 5-2)

We fell behind in the 3rd minute here but we responded to lead 3-1 at half-time and win the game. Gomez got sent-off for them late on.

----------------------------------------------

Villarreal 2-2 Athletic Bilbao
Inigo Martinez, De Marcos

We shouldve won this. They had 3 shots on target only but got their point thanks to a late San Jose own goal. Rossi scored their other goal - surprised he is still there!

----------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 7-1 Real Sociedad
Muniain 5, De Marcos, Griezmann

Oh my god! Iker just cant stop grabbing hat-tricks! Thats his 10th of the season (all in the league) and his 1st 5 goal haul of the season - he has also broken the league record held by Messi (50). San Jose scored another OG though! Safe to say that I probably wont get a bigger win in the derby.

---------------------------------------------------

Athletic Bilbao 4-0 Mallorca
Ruiz de Galarreta, Benat, Muniain 2

Everyone apart from Ruffier, De Marcos and Muniain got rested here. The 2 young lads from the recent youth intake - Fraile and Algorta - made their debuts here with Alporta becoming our youngest ever player. BUT........... Muniain picked up a knock and is out for 2-3 weeks.

--------------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League SF 1st Leg

Athletic Bilbao 3-2 Manchester United
Inigo Martinez, Jones (og), Bernal

For 40min we got battered and were hanging on but we scored twice to lead at half-time 2-0 somehow! Welbeck and Rooney got it back to 2-2 but substitute Bernal got the winner. The 2 away goals is a worry though.

--------------------------------------------------

Almeria 0-1 Athletic Bilbao
Griezmann

10pts clear with 4 games to go means we are 1 win away from retaining the title! Almeria had a late goal chalked off though.

-----------------------------------------------------

UEFA Champions League SF 2nd Leg

Manchester United (2) 4-3 Athletic Bilbao (3)
Susaeta, De Gea (og), Bueno
(Agg: 6-6 - Athletic Bilbao win on away goals)

A great result this - if we had gone out I would have been blaming myself for not resting Muniain. We fell behind twice but came back and at one stage led 3-2 and then we conceded 2 late goals to lose the match but win the tie on away goals. Chelsea await in the final........

----------------------------------------------------

Sevilla 2-0 Athletic Bilbao

The title party will have to wait. After our efforts against Man Utd this was always going to be tough and so it proved.

------------------------------------------------------

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN

images

View attachment 285084

Been a silent watcher but been loving every bit of it as always :) You seemed to have this pretty much nailed now, looking forward to your Pentagon Challenge if decide to do it :)

I have noticed your name many a time in the box showing who is browsing the thread lol - will do the pentagon challenge. Probably when the boredom of this save kicks in so I can go back to it at a later date.

You've just been incredible! Who is it you play in the CL final?

I also look forward to you doing the Pentagon if/when you do it. Keep it up, Klippy!

images

MAY

The season came to an end for us and in dramatic fashion! Not in the league where we disposed of Celta to take the title and went through the motions for the remaining games but in the cups.

In the Copa del Rey we came out on top of a 5 goal thriller thanks to 2 very late goals and in the Champions League we defeated Chelsea thanks to another late strike.

The season is not over for the B team though as they finished 2nd behind Numancia in the Second Division B2 so they are involved in the promotion play-offs!

------------------------------------------------

Celta Vigo 1-3 Athletic Bilbao
Deivid (og), Inigo Martinez, Muniain

CHAMPIONS!!!! They had a man sent-off early on so it was inevitable really that we would win after that. Muniain returned for this game as you can see!

Athletic Bilbao 5-2 Espanyol
Pulido (og), Reverte, Bueno 3

Reverte scored against his old club here - needless to say I rested my main picks here. Bueno did a "Muniain" and got a hat-trick while Bernal assisted 4.

---------------------------------------------------

Copa del Rey Final

Real Madrid 2-3 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain, Bernal, Javi Martinez

What a thriller! We took the lead on 10min but went into half-time level as San Jose scored an OG (again). Ozil put them ahead on 50min and then we dominated but couldnt break them down until Bernal netted with 4min to go. Then in stoppage time Javi Martinez got his 2nd goal of the season with a 30 yard screamer!!!!!

UEFA Champions League Final

Chelsea 1-2 Athletic Bilbao
Muniain, Susaeta

Another trophy thanks to another late goal. Chelsea have Gotze, Falcao and Jovetic in their ranks so this was always going to be tough. Muniain put us ahead on 10min but then Hazard levelled and so it stayed until the 85th minute when Susaeta grabbed the winner for us to retain the Champions League.

-----------------------------------------------------

Real Madrid 2-1 Athletic Bilbao
Bernal

Decided to play my youngsters here and also waved goodbye to Andoni Iraola who retires at the end of the season. I expected to get thrashed but our task was made easier when Ronaldo got sent-off on 25min but Bueno missed the resulting penalty.

As it was we fell behind but levelled then conceded late on and to top it off we had Vera sent-off!

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
MOISES BERNAL

View attachment 285122

End of season post to follow tomorrow evening

Great read, inspired me to write my own story up with my Man Utd save, Munian is a beast i use to buy him a lot on FM 2012 but he was very easy to anger about lack of game time and ridiculous contract demands!

Pretty amazing stuff that you have done, what does Munian's attributes look like now?

Brilliant reading! Awesome story! Fun with Bilbao aswell since it's quite a challenge. But you have managed perfectly!

Could you post screens of Benat(in his prime, if possible), Muniain, Rodrigo Moreno and Isco? Cheers in advance. And congratz to the great results!!

Have you had any offers for Munianin. He's soooo good i'd be surprised if the likes of Barca, Madrid or City haven't bidden on him

Great progress by Muniain, looks like a real beast! And his results, impressing. I mean 55 goals in one season at the age of 24! Love to see that Benat looks good aswell, love that player. Even after what he did against Real Madrid! ;)

Haha the boy of wonder Isco at Levante? What happened there?!

Back