The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
Been a silent follower for a while now; you're doing an excellent job with Fulham, top marks.

What tactic are you using? It seems to be fairly successful.

Formation is either 4231_wide or 4123_DM. The former is my primary tactic but I use the latter in games against strong opponents (the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, City etc.) Sometimes, I go with a 442 but it's very rare.

These are the 4231 and 4123 tactics with TIs. The 4231 is a control/fluid tactic, while the 4123 is a counter/fluid one.
View attachment 267018 View attachment 267017

As for PIs - Roberts (IF-right) is allowed to roam from position, Baselli and Vilhena (DLP, T and DLP, CM resp.) are allowed to make direct passes, wing backs are instructed to cross more often.

The only reason I am hesitant to post the tactic files is because I change almost every game.

Example: Sometimes Trequartista in the 4231 becomes Advanced Playmaker if I change players; I use two inside forwards at times; I alternate between complete forward and advanced forward depending on which striker is playing, and a whole lot more.

Even TIs change depending on opposition - deeper def. line against pacy attack, etc.

As for OIs, I don't set a lot of them - just 3-4 total depending on who their likely threat is. I know I am being vague but I really can't be any more specific given how much I tweak them.

Fulham Awards

View attachment 266984
No surprises there - Roberts has been phenomenal. He's been involved in 50 goals this season in 53 appearances, which is simply amazing. He won 75% of the votes, well ahead of Jimenez and Balanta.

The best XI of the season has been announced as well:
View attachment 266983
A bit surprised by the selection to be honest. Raul Jimenez deserved a place in the starting XI but Woodrow's slightly higher avg. rating gave him the edge over Jimenez.

SEASON 2019/20 REVIEW

Despite losing the Champions League final, it has been a great season. Roberts' brilliance on the right wing has been the highlight of the season. I've finally found a tactic that lets him score a lot more goals than in the previous seasons.

Premier League: Obviously the big highlight of our season. Only 5 losses in 38 is a great sign, but Chelsea pushed us till the very end. Our home form was absolutely brilliant - 18 wins and 1 draw in 19 is stunning. We did the double over Chelsea, United and Man City. We only lost once to the big five in 10 games, and picked up points.

4 of our 5 losses were due to late goals - scored in the last 10 minutes. That is a bit troubling and something for us to improve upon next season.

League Cup: We got knocked out very early, but I never treated this on the same level as the Premier League or the Champions League. So, not too bothered.

FA Cup: Pleased to have won this competition for the second time in my career. Our 4-1 victory over Man City was the highlight. Despite being the second best team in the final, Emre Can's red card turned things in our favour and we lifted the cup.

Champions League: I'm not going to hide my disappointment. We did really well in the UCL. We beat Real Madrid at home 1-0. Our dominance against Atletico and Gelsenkirchen in the round of 16 and QF were brilliant.

PSG gave us a scare in the SF as they got a 3-1 victory in the first leg in Paris. The second leg produced the best performance I've seen from my players last season. We won the game 5-0. A great way to reach the final, but we lost to Man Utd in a close game.

It has been a great season, but I'm disappointed in the UCL loss. Next season...hopefully!

Pre-Season Contract renewals

I was going over the contract status of some players and a good number of players have only 1 year left on their contract. So, I discussed with Mike Rigg (our director of football) about giving them new contracts.

I met with all the agents in meetings that spanned over 4 days and handed out contracts to several players. Within a week, I got calls from the agents saying that the players are willing to sign the contracts. Great news!

Among the dozen people whose contracts were renewed, two names were big. Pat Roberts and Tonny Vilhea renewed their contracts but it took a lot of money - not that they don't deserve it.

Roberts came to me asking for a new contract just before the pre-season tour as his recent form was great. I couldn't agree more and started discussions with his agent.

View attachment 266843

View attachment 266842

Intl. management?

So, I was casually returning back home after a morning jog and I got two very important e-mails, marked URGENT.

And when I opened, I found out:
View attachment 266839
View attachment 266838 View attachment 266837

Both Italy and Holland got knocked out in the very first knock out round of the recently completed European Championship (which Spain won). Antonio Conte and Laurent Blanc were sacked by Italy and Holland respectively, and the football associations of both countries approached me.

I am undecided now. The World Cup is in two years time and it'd be a HUGE addition to my trophy cabinet, IF I win it. But that would mean sacrificing some of my efforts at Fulham, where I am focusing on winning the Champions League.

I need to take a decision soon!

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Last edited:
You've got good structures in place now at Fulham so I think go for it! Personally I would go for Italy but that is just me.

Would have been cool to see if you could win the World Cup as well as have success with Fulham but I guess we'll have to be content with watching you bring the Champions League trophy to Fulham! ;)

Would have been cool to see if you could win the World Cup as well as have success with Fulham but I guess we'll have to be content with watching you bring the Champions League trophy to Fulham! ;)

If there's enough interest in this story, I will definitely manage a national team sometime and write about it here. :)

Transfer Business and Squad Status

Just like last season, there will not be any new signings despite me having 195M in my transfer kitty! I am probably foolish not to spend any of the 195M on big names, especially when going for the Champions League.

But I want to use Fulham grown players and players from youth academy to be the backbone of the side. I've started to give young Foday Nabay a few first team chances last season. He'll feature even more this season.

I'll keep working on giving the youngsters more chances. To that end, Aidan Phillips and Mike Roper will get opportunities this season. They spent the last season out on loan gaining some valuable experience. Here are their attributes:

View attachment 266669

View attachment 266667

W.T.F.!!!!!

We start our 2020/21 season with the Community Shield fixture against Chelsea. I was going through their squad to pick who their key player(s) would be and I was shocked to find a certain player in their team.View attachment 266661Shocking! I never though he'd leave Barcelona. What's more shocking is the transfer fee.
View attachment 266665
Just 4.6M for Lionel Messi???? What the....

Yes, he may be 33 yrs old. The best part of his career may be behind him but he still has brilliant attributes. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

SEASON 2020-21 GOALS

Now that the Community Shield is out of the way, it's time to lay down the targets for this season. I don't care about the Premier League or the League Cup or the FA Cup. I JUST WANT TO WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!!

Okay, okay - that may be a bit of an exaggeration.

Premier League: So far, I have won the League title twice and a third in 6 season in the top flight would be great. Now that Mourinho has left Chelsea for France national side, it'll be interesting to see how Chelsea will fare this season.

Media predicts Chelsea to win the title with Man United at #2 and us at #3. Last season, we got 23 points out of 30 against the big five. If we can keep our good form against the top sides, I think we can win it again.

League Cup & FA Cup: I've won the League Cup thrice and FA Cup twice in 6 seasons. In the last five seasons, I've won atleast one of the two cup competitions.

Like last season, I am not going to consider the League Cup as an important competition. So, I'll be fielding reserves and youth players.

As for the FA Cup, I'll probably give the youth players a chance unless I face a big club where I feel a stronger side is needed.

Champions League: This is the big one. I want this, I want this, I want this... I BADLY WANT THIS.

We were runners up two seasons in a row and I want to win it this time. We certainly have the quality...I think we just need a little bit of luck in staying injury free.

Pre-Season Injury Situation

View attachment 266532
We face Man City in 2 days and the injury situation looks bad.

Defense: Two defenders, Burn and Phillips are out for the first 2-3 games. Balanta is out on intl. duty and will return in a week's time. I am without my top three choices in the central defense. Not the best start to the season.

Midfield: Williams and Pedro are injured, but it's no big deal. Baselli, Kranevitter, Vilhena, Nabay and Roberts are all fit to play. So, no worries!

Attack: Woodrow's injury crisis continues. :( He spent a good portion of last season out injured and he will miss the first month or two this season as well. It's really frustrating. Atleast Jimenez and Artur are available.

Start of the Season

A tough match to start the season - an away trip to The Etihad. Insigne gave City the lead with a good run behind our defense. A very cheap goal to concede but without Balanta and Burn in our defense, we were bound to concede a few easy ones.

However, the lads pulled it level when a well-worked move resulted in a free kick outside their box which resulted in the goal. Baselli chipped it to Stafylidis who equalized with a powerful volley.

The second half was very even between the sides. Ross Barkley was pulling all the strings for Man City while Baselli was doing the same for us. However, the strikers had disappointing afternoons and the score stayed at 1-1.

View attachment 266493We played this game at Wembley, which is our 'home ground' till the Fulham Stadium expansion is complete. A solitary goal by Raul Jimenez sealed the win for us but it was a very hard fought win. Berahino and Caldron (WBA forwards) threatened us on numerous occasion but the backline of Balanta and Amorebieta held strong.

The goal by Jiminez had its share of luck. A fantastic run by Roberts into the opposition box was stopped by the West Brom defense, but the clearance fell straight to Jimenez, who smashed it home.

Great result, despite an ordinary performance. QPR, being the home team pressed high up the pitch and dominated the opening exchanges. Jimenez scored against the run of play with a lovely left footed volley from a Stafylidis cross. Great finish by the Mexican striker. QPR were pressing hard and I was a bit worried on the touchline.

I made a few hand-signals telling the players to switch to a counter-attacking, direct passing playstyle early in the second half. It paid off as long balls from our midfield to Roberts and Williams on either flank provided the 2nd and 3rd goals. The wingers cut inside and shot at goal. On both occasions, the rebound fell to Jimenez and he completed his hat-trick.

Once again, a solid defensive display by Balanta and Burn, who were playing together for the first time this season.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

We have made a decent start to the League with 2 wins and a draw against Man City away. However, we haven't hit a good stride yet. The performance has been a bit patchy, with the midfield and defense not gelling well. The offensive side of our play looks pretty good considering that it's still early in the season - Roberts, Williams and Jimenez are linking up quite well with the creative midfield duo of Vilhena and Baselli.

Defense definitely needs some work. The lads seem to be struggling when playing against teams with attacking midfielders and/or false nines. I have asked our defensive coaches to work with the players with regards to this
View attachment 266491

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW:

Here's the full draw. We have Juventus, Shaktar and Steaua. I believe we can top the group as long as we don't do anything stupid.
View attachment 266490

Back