The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
Congrats on passing the 100k views mark, fully deserved!

Also, good luck against Bayern!

We faced Man United for the second time in three games, but this time in the Premier league. We won again!

We're going pretty strong in the League at the moment. However, this wasn't an easy win. Being the home side, we started strongly in an attacking fashion. Kacaniklic, who started in the left wing in place of injured Artur put in several crosses into the box but we couldn't convert them in the early minutes.

Jimenez then scored twice in three minutes around the half hour mark. Jimenez found space behind the United defense on both occasions, latched onto through balls and converted them. With that brace, Jimenez has 26 goals in the League this season and broke the 30 goal mark for the season. Incredible.

Second half was a different story though. Di Maria and Sisto were starting to pull the strings for United. They combined to pull one back for United. For a while, I was worried about conceding another but it all changed when I set my full backs to specifically mark their men. Once I made that tactical change, United's offense seemed to calm down and we looked assured in defense.

In the end, we got the victory we wanted. There were a few nervous moments but 3 points in the bag!!

We're at the top of the League table, 15 points ahead of Liverpool who have 2 games in hand. We only have 9 games left and as long as we don't drop too many points in the upcoming games, I believe we should win the League. This is the best lead we've had at the top during my career.

The pressure is definitely on Liverpool as they have to keep winning to have any hopes of catching up to us!
View attachment 251579

Running away with it mate, all too easy ;)

Chelsea were my biggest title rivals in the past two seasons and ever since Mourinho left, they've slipped up. The League title is basically ours to lose now.

But the main priority is elsewhere. ;)

The last few days have been quite frustrating. With games coming quickly, players don't seem to have enough breaks and this is causing their fitness levels to drop down. In a few extreme cases, players got injured. Over the past 4-5 days, we've had to lose 4 players to injuries.

A couple of them are out for 3 weeks while the rest should be available within 10 days or so. I decided to have a chat with the coaching staff and the physio.

The coaches proposed a less intense training session till we have the squad with nearly every one fit. I nodded to that suggestion and gave them the green light to gradually reduce their workload so that they are not overworked.

The physios have identified a couple of players who might be needing a period of rest to be back to their best. Once again, I agreed. I've been seeing a few tired legs at 9 AM!! These decisions were implemented with immediate effect.

The injury situation looks like this:
View attachment 251271

A tough victory. Tottenham have some quality players like Schurrle, Pratto, etc. They were dominant for most of the first half. The possession was split something close to 65-35 between the two sides. While Spurs kept possession very well, they didn't threaten as much as I expected them to. The chances they had were 50-50, at best and our defense was able to ward off any threat.

After the restart, Spurs looked like they had more oomph to their attack. Schurrle had the best chance to give them the lead but he shot straight at Bettinelli. Amidst bulk of Tottenham possession, Jimenez scored with a powerful shot. From the edge of the area, he shot straight into the top corner. It was done in Woodrow style. We took the lead against the run of play.

Once we took the lead, our midfield sprung to life all of a sudden. Baselli and Kranevitter kept hold of the ball very well and frustrated the Spurs' midfield. We ended the game on a much better note and came away with the 3 points!

View attachment 250474
****** ****! I can't help but feel that we dropped 2 points when we should've easily secured a victory.

After a cautious opening, Jimenez gave us the lead (this is becoming a trend!) with a calm finish from 10 yards. Soon after restart, Villa pushed forward. And they scored. Haris Seferovic, who has an impressive scoring record against us continued his form. It was a really good goal and our defense couldn't do much to stop it.

Roberts gave us back the lead with a lovely finish with the outside of his boot. Roberts dribbled past two defenders before placing one in the top corner. At half time, I told the players to keep their focus and not get complacent. After a mediocre opening to the second half, Kranevitter doubled our lead. The midfielder who rarely gets on the scoresheet made a late run into the Villa box and put away a Stafylidis cross. Then, it all turned worse!

Aidan Phillips, who started instead of the injured Burn showed his inexperience in the 73rd minute. The youngster dwelled on the ball for far too long and got dispossessed by Kokorin, who scored to pull one back. All of a sudden, the game became nervous for me and the Fulham fans. With time running out, I thought we barely crossed the line but Immobile had different plans. A brilliant volley from 15 yards saw the ball hit the back of the net with severe force. Villa equalized with just over a minute left. From a position where we had a 2 goal lead, we ended up with a draw.

I can't help but feel that our defense needs work. We conceded two very soft goals. Orr opened the scoring with a delicate finish but it was shambolic defending. It is criminal to have some one unmarked with yards of space when a corner is being taken. Oh well!

Then, we scored 4 before the first half whistle. Kranevitter equalized with a wonderful goal (see below). Then, Artur had a tap-in from 6 yards from a beautiful Lustig cross. We took the lead after 19 minutes. The game was certainly increasing in intensity.

Pedro, who started instead of Roberts won a penalty after a fine piece of skill and ball control. Woodrow was on the bench and vice captain Baselli converted the spot kick.Just before half time, we got our fourth. It was Raul Jimenez, getting his customary goal. Artur cut-in from the left flank and slid one through for Jimenez who attempted a first time shot at goal. The Watford keeper was beaten and it was 4-1 to us.

The second half was a lot less intense as I made several substitutions to keep key players fresh for the Bayern game. Pedro's injury in the 84th minute meant that we played the last few minutes with 10 men as I had used all substitutions. Flitney scored for Watford with seconds left to make it 4-2. Once again, we should have defended better. We let Flitney in way too easily.

In the end, it was a win for us, thanks to four good goals in the first half.

[video=dailymotion;x2vodkd]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2vodkd_fm-15-kranevitter-goal-vs-watford_videogames[/video]

Team Meeting

As always, the players and the coaching staff took the day off after the game against Bayern. When they returned, I asked them to assemble in the dressing room before the training session.

A couple of them were still tired after that long trip to Germany but by 9:15 AM, everyone was there.

I glanced at my watch and said, "Alright lads, let's start. The Bayern game didn't exactly go according to plan. I'm pretty sure all of you will admit that we were a bit lucky to get the draw."

There were signs of disappointment from some, some were unperturbed and the rest were waiting for me to finish speaking.

"We have two big games coming up - the FA Cup semi-final and then the return leg of the Champions League. I'd like to hear your thoughts about how to make sure we taste success on both fronts. Let's start with our captain Eder."

Balanta raised the most obvious concern of our defending. We're letting in goals a bit too easily off late and Balanta brought up the topic. Burn, Phillips and a few others chimed in.

"Good point. I'll ask Naylor and Essien to work with our defense to make sure our positioning, marking and tackling is spot-on."

The rest spoke as well. Some raised concerns about fitness levels. We had a few injury issues off late and some of the first team players are feeling a bit tired by playing week in, week out.

Towards the end I said, "We've been doing well recently but we need to step-up to win the treble. Let's try to step-up our performance in the coming matches. Now, off to training. Good luck."

FA Cup 2020-21: Semi-Final

First off, we went into this game with a home advantage. The FA Cup semi-final is played at Wembley, which has been our home ground this season until renovations at Fulham stadium are completed.

On to the game, it was a **** nervous one. We started very strongly. Hull barely had any possession in the first quarter hour but against the run of play, they took the lead. A long clearance by the Hull defense bypassed the midfield and the ball was too high for Balanta to deal with. Livermore latched onto the loose ball and only had Bettinelli to beat. And he did, with ease. Kinda disappointed to be behind after strong opening.

We ended the first half with 63% possession, 15 attempts to their 4 and yet found ourselves 1-0 behind! The players were doing their best and I told them to keep going and the goal will come. Jimenez was on the bench and if needed, I was prepared to bring him on (I benched him for the upcoming game vs. Bayern).

We kept dominating the game. Hull had their entire eleven in their own half at one point. Something had to give. Something had to! And the goal finally came. The scorer was our hero of the past seasons - Cauley Woodrow. This season has been a struggle for Woodrow with injuries and what not and the smile on his face made his clear. He was delighted.

Artur was struggling to create anything on the left flank, and he kept talking too many long shots. I replaced him with Kacaniklic. And the substitute made a magnificent impression by scoring only few minutes after being on. Baselli played the left winger on, and the Swedish international scored with a lovely toe-poke. 2-1 up with 9 mins of normal time left.

Hull tried to equalize but couldn't find a way past. We're through to the finals!

Interested to see where all this contract talk is going, could Trott's days at Fulham be numbered? :O

ECC 2020/21: Quarter Final (2nd Leg) vs. Bayern

View attachment 250026

Wow! What a game!​

Deja vu, all around. Bayern took the lead just like they did in the first leg and around the same time too! We started the game a bit more offensively as opposed to the first leg, in an attempt to score first. But Thomas Muller scored and gave the German side the lead in the 24th minute. A powerful shot by the German international took a deflection off Burn before ending up in the back of the net.

The players toiled hard trying to equalize but we simply couldn't hit the back of the net. We dominated the second half thoroughly but Bayern held strong. It looked glum for us, but just like in the first leg, Artur equalized in the stoppage time at the end of the game. As I said, deja vu!!

Roper put in a brilliant cross from the right hand flank for Artur to tap the ball home. We're back in it and the game went onto extra time.

We continued to dominate the game in extra time, and Balanta put us ahead deservingly at the end of the first half of the extra time. A corner taken by Baselli was too hot for the Bayern defense to handle and Balanta scored from about 6 yards. We were 2-1 up!

With 4 mins left, Baselli had a wonderful chance to double our lead from the penalty spot but he missed. If only I could allow players from the bench to take spot-kicks..if only..Woodrow would've buried it.

Anyway, the last few minutes were a bit nervous with Bayern trying to score and win the game. I brought on two additional defenders to help the defense and Bayern couldn't break through. And there it is - 3-2 victory over a very good side. Time for the semi-finals!!!!!!!

Back